Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-24-2017, 10:56 PM   #1
Drakyrias

Default Gurps character builder

Not incredibly tech savvy so forgive this possibly foolish inquiry, but how do I modify the base settings for advantages like High Tech level. I'm trying to build a character in a modern game and the character has access to tech 8 but the advantage keeps saying tech 4.
Drakyrias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 02:40 AM   #2
Maz

Default Re: Gurps character builder

It's determined when you create the character. If you start a new character up it will list CP, max disads allowed and then the base TL. You can change this "default new character"-settings in [Options].

But I know that's not what your asking.

For an existing character You go to the Attributes tab, where it shows ST, DX and so on. Then select Tech Level. Then press [Edit]. Here you can change their TL, but it will cost CP, as it's an attribute.

To change the CORE TL as you ask you have to press [Full Edit Window] and then change "basevalue" from 4 to 8, or whatever the settings core TL should be.

Last edited by Maz; 10-25-2017 at 02:49 AM.
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 01:38 PM   #3
Armin
GCA Prime

If you're talking about GURPS Character Assistant: if the actual campaign is at the higher TL, you can click on the little globe icon in the toolbar (or pick Campaign Settings from the View menu) and change the Base TL in the Campaign Options box. That'll change the base TL for all that stuff (but not for things already added to the character).
Old 10-25-2017, 10:49 PM   #4
Drakyrias

I actually solved my original question thanks but its for the 3rd edition vesion not the 4th.

I'm now trying to figure out how to lower the tech levels of the skills

Like its a tech level 7 game but I want the character to have forensics at that, unfortunately the higher tech advantage is changing all the TL skills to 8s
Old 10-26-2017, 01:42 AM   #5
Drakyrias

How do I build templates in the G.C.B.? Using the 3rd edition version.
Old 10-26-2017, 10:52 AM   #6
Armin
GCA Prime

There is actually a forum specifically for GCB help, further down the forum list here at SJGames. You can get to it here: http://forums.sjgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63
Old 10-26-2017, 01:41 PM   #7
Drakyrias

The link doesn't seem to show anybody elses threads, for me, but I posted my questions, thanks.
Old 10-26-2017, 02:54 PM   #8
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakyrias View Post
The link doesn't seem to show anybody elses threads, for me
Down at the bottom of the page of each sub-forum, below all the threads, there's a box labelled "Display Options". Inside that box, there's a dropdown labeled "From The", and the dropdown menu has a time period in it. It's set to "Last Month" by default, meaning you'll only see posts from that time period. Change it to "Beginning" and click "Show Threads", and you'll see a lot more.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 06:24 PM   #9
Drakyrias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
Down at the bottom of the page of each sub-forum, below all the threads, there's a box labelled "Display Options". Inside that box, there's a dropdown labeled "From The", and the dropdown menu has a time period in it. It's set to "Last Month" by default, meaning you'll only see posts from that time period. Change it to "Beginning" and click "Show Threads", and you'll see a lot more.
Thanks a moderator helped me as well, though also pointed out that the forum is not incredibly active either.

Tags
3rd edition