Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-25-2013, 01:53 PM   #1
Libertine

Default Earthquake stomp

I am trying to stat out an earthquake stomp attack as an affliction with an area effect and emanation, the only issue is quantifying a limitation where the jump is neccesary and that it only affects ground targets as an accesability (i think that should be worth 10%).
Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:11 PM   #2
Humabout

Default Re: Earthquake stomp

Requires Skill Roll is a -5% limitation.

The master says touching the ground is an Environmental limitation worth -20%.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:30 PM   #3
Libertine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humabout View Post
Requires Skill Roll is a -5% limitation.

The master says touching the ground is an Environmental limitation worth -20%.
So, Earthquake stomp: affliction area effect 32yards 250%,Emanation-20% Environmental limitation (only ground targets)-20% malediction 100% requires skill -5% Cost 1 fp 5%= 35 pts
Old 09-25-2013, 03:12 PM   #4
Walrus

I don't think it actually requires Jumping roll, i think that jump is just the Attack (or Concentration in Malediction case) maneuver itself, so it's just the special efffet of attack not having Low or No Signature so it's obvious who makes it. If it's really full jump you might require All-Out, however. Or you may say it's equal to Requires Gesture for the same -5%.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:43 PM   #5
Edges

I think the environmental limitation means that the person using the ability needs to be touching the ground rather than the targets need to be touching the ground. If both are required, the limitation should be greater.
Edges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:11 PM   #6
Anaraxes

Requiring the attacker to jump is at worst Requires Gestures (-10%).
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:12 PM   #7
DangerousThing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
I am trying to stat out an earthquake stomp attack as an affliction with an area effect and emanation, the only issue is quantifying a limitation where the jump is neccesary and that it only affects ground targets as an accesability (i think that should be worth 10%).
I would make it an innate attack crushing with an area of effect and a reduced range. I'd suggest that the gesture be a strong one footed stomp with a special effect (maybe a line of earth/rock moving as if a small object was going just underground and upsetting the earth/rock) going from the foot to the center of the area of effect.

Innate Attack, crushing (5): Area of Effect 32 yards +250%, Gesture -5%, Environmental Limitation (Must be Touching the Ground) -20% = 16.25 per level.

There might be a limitation for High Signature, and I'd put a "costs FP" limitation in there. There might also be a "takes time" limitation if it took one turn for the special effect to arrive at the center of the area of effect before the earthquake takes effect on turn two. And it could have a "powering up" phase where there is a different visible special effect where you glow or energy comes out of the earth or suchwhat if you need more limitations.

Obviously I'm seeing this as an anime effect.

There should be a way of getting a linked or followup attack which has a "fall down unless you make a DX roll" effect, but I can't see one right now.

I don't know how many dice are needed to knock over buildings, but that would be a major power.
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:19 AM   #8
Libertine

What about no damage modifier and double knockback with area affect? Noisy would be a limitatiin, defenitally. I think i may go this route, it's purpose is to stop a group of adventureres and then blast them with innate attacks.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:30 AM   #9
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
What about no damage modifier and double knockback with area affect? Noisy would be a limitatiin, defenitally. I think i may go this route, it's purpose is to stop a group of adventureres and then blast them with innate attacks.
So, area effect crushing attack with no wounding and double knockback? Just make sure it's high enough level to actually knock everybody down and it should buy a turn or two.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:35 AM   #10
vierasmarius

If you want the earthquake to knock people off their feet without actually knocking them away from the attacker, Kromm proposed a solution in a previous thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Build a Crushing Attack with these damage modifiers:
Double Knockback, +20%
No Knockback (Accessibility, Only affects distance, not DX roll, -50%), -5%
No Blunt Trauma, -20%
No Wounding, -50%
That comes to -55%. For instance:
Crushing Attack 7d (Double Knockback, +20%; No Knockback (Accessibility, Only affects distance, not DX roll, -50%), -5%; No Blunt Trauma, -20%; No Wounding, -50%) [16]
If it hits, roll 7d. Suppose you get 26 and your target has ST 15. That would normally be two multiples of ST-2, or 2 yards of knockback. Double Knockback makes that 4 yards. However, the target doesn't actually go flying. Instead, he just rolls DX-3 to avoid falling. See p. B378.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote