Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 10-28-2013, 03:29 PM   #1
Michael Hopcroft

Default The very basics

I have now played about four games of various Munchkin variants, spread out over a long period of time (a situation that clearly needs to be remedied) and I'm still a little confused about the sequence of play. In the last game I played I was told that I got to "listen at the door", and draw a card and keep it secret, before kicking down the door and fighting the monster.

Now I've read the basic rules a few times and I'm wondering where the heck the moderator got that idea. It seems weird. And it was a semi-official demo game, a place one does not expect to see houserules in play.

When I was running the game it was even worse, as I couldn't figure out what to do with treasure cards I wasn't going to use. Do they stay in your hand, or is there a place they go specifically where they are not in your hand but still available (and out in the open for all the players to see). If the latter, this should prevent treasures circulating willy-nilly among the players in charity (and prevent the lowest-level player from having an enormous hand that he in turn must divvy up in his discard phase!)

For a game with only four pages of rules, it's amazing what a person can foul up....

RIP Elisabeth Sladen 1948-2011
RIP Nicholas Courtney 1929-2011
Michael Hopcroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:40 PM   #2
EpicBlake

Default Re: The very basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hopcroft View Post
In the last game I played I was told that I got to "listen at the door", and draw a card and keep it secret, before kicking down the door and fighting the monster.
The Listen at the door rule was added as a new version of fast play. I suggest rereading the rules since they did an overhaul on them in 2010. The main website has all of them in PDF format.

Quote:
When I was running the game it was even worse, as I couldn't figure out what to do with treasure cards I wasn't going to use. Do they stay in your hand, or is there a place they go specifically where they are not in your hand but still available (and out in the open for all the players to see). If the latter, this should prevent treasures circulating willy-nilly among the players in charity (and prevent the lowest-level player from having an enormous hand that he in turn must divvy up in his discard phase!)
This is an easy one. Any treasure cards with a Gold Piece value or says "No Value" you can put in play out of the way. Basically, your active cards are right side up. These cards are played sideways. It implies your character is carrying the items, but not using them. Obviously, one-shot items can be played from this pool of cards whenever you want.

Last edited by EpicBlake; 11-03-2013 at 04:29 PM.
EpicBlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:06 PM   #3
Michael Hopcroft

Oddly enough, both the new Fast Play rules came into play in that game. I was surprised when one of the players joined in the final combat for a share of the victory, and now I know how they could do that. If I'd known I had that option I might have tried it first....

Does Deluxe come with the new rulebook?

Old 10-28-2013, 04:11 PM   #4
Bampop

Yes. Deluxe was released after the great rules update if 2010.
MiB #3282, Palm Bay, FL
Munchkin, Zombie/Cthulhu Dice, Burn in Hell!, Revolution!, Castellan, Chez Geek, OGRE DE, Chupacabra, Nanuk
mib3282@gmail.com
Bampop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:40 PM   #5
Clipper

Quote:
Oddly enough, both the new Fast Play rules came into play in that game. I was surprised when one of the players joined in the final combat for a share of the victory, and now I know how they could do that. If I'd known I had that option I might have tried it first....
This is unfortunate. These rules are optional and it should be known which ones are being used or not before the game starts.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:19 PM   #6
Michael Hopcroft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bampop View Post
Yes. Deluxe was released after the great rules update if 2010.
And the Munchkin core set I inherited wasn't. The cards are in grey-scale, and the rules are definitely more primitive.

Deluxe is on my Want List, but what do I do with this set?

Old 10-29-2013, 05:13 AM   #7
MunchkinMan

Quote:
[W]hat do I do with this set?
Treasure it always. . . :-)

I know that my experience is different, given that I run demos of the game and had run the National Tournament at Origins for a fair number of years, but I still have all of my old, old, old sets (i.e., 3 sets all of first printing copies up to Munchkin 4). In preparation for selling our house, they went in to storage, not into the yard sale box, never near the ebay box (such a lonely, empty box). I just can't seem to part with them, and in some respects, they have no trading value that I would wish to determine.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:58 AM   #8
offsides

Quote:
And the Munchkin core set I inherited wasn't. The cards are in grey-scale, and the rules are definitely more primitive.

Deluxe is on my Want List, but what do I do with this set?
You can also actually play with it, if you're willing to do a little work.

1) Print out a copy of the new 6-page rules that are available on the website. That is the current version, and is what you should be playing with these days.

2) Print a copy of the Munchkin Change Log (http://www.worldofmunchkin.com/faq/changelog.html), which lists all of the cards that changed with the 19th printing of Munchkin. Unfortunately, the original set had the most changes, but they're not insurmountable.

Those two things will allow you to use the existing set with the current rules, the rest is up to you :)
Joshua Megerman, SJGames MIB #5273 - Ogre AI Testing Division
offsides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:03 PM   #9
Michael Hopcroft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper View Post
This is unfortunate. These rules are optional and it should be known which ones are being used or not before the game starts.
I didn't know those rules existed, so it would not have helped. The weird thing is that it was a MiB who ran the game. Someone who wanted the game to go fast because she'd been told she needed to demo Castellan too.

Old 10-30-2013, 07:10 PM   #10
tremorlaine

Those rules are listed under Option Fast Play rules in the current rule sheet.

Future site of Griffon Gaming
tremorlaine is offline   Reply With Quote