Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-04-2020, 08:13 PM   #21
safisher
Gunnery Sergeant,
 Imperial Marines
Coauthor,
 GURPS High-Tech

Default Re: ESPionage/Cold War and Psionic Powers

To get you started:

The Men Who Stare at Goats (2004) by Jon Ronson
Modern Alchemy: Occultism and the Emergence of Atomic Theory
(2007) by Mark Morrisson
Phenomena: The Secret History of the U.S. Government's Investigations into Extrasensory Perception and Psychokinesis (2017) by Annie Jacobsen

And the DIA report on Soviet Parapsychology (1975)
https://www.cia.gov/library/readingr...00350001-3.pdf

and here
http://www.aspr.com/jaspr.htm
http://www.unconv-science.org/en/
safisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 09:07 AM   #22
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by safisher View Post
To get you started:

The Men Who Stare at Goats (2004) by Jon Ronson
Modern Alchemy: Occultism and the Emergence of Atomic Theory
(2007) by Mark Morrisson
Phenomena: The Secret History of the U.S. Government's Investigations into Extrasensory Perception and Psychokinesis (2017) by Annie Jacobsen

And the DIA report on Soviet Parapsychology (1975)
https://www.cia.gov/library/readingr...00350001-3.pdf

and here
http://www.aspr.com/jaspr.htm
http://www.unconv-science.org/en/
Wow. That is incredibly useful. Thank you, Shawn!

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 09:59 AM   #23
oneofmanynameless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
That's definitely one stream, which combines a lot with UFOlogy, alien cover-up conspiracies and US marine outposts on Mars-style beliefs, but there's also the "New Age" stream of psychic belief that traces from 19th century spiritualism and mesmerism, through Blavatsky and Theosophy and such, to modern day transcendental meditation and new age cults.

Psi-tech probably lends itself more to the former though.
Yeah. I grew up with transcendental meditation and in the culture you're talking about. Went to Maharishi School of the Age of Enlightenment. Had EEGs strapped to my head to measure my brainwave coherence while practicing meditation several times. Have also done the courses to learn the advanced techniques for training up ESP, flight, etc. If you want more of this feeling then I can definitely make more suggestions, in GURPS terms as well as metaphysics suggestions, about a thing or two the Psionic powers book is missing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
I suppose so. Do keep in mind that I kind of want the feel of psi powers in the Cold War, but they've been around for a while. They've been researched since 1920 or so in-world so there's been time for scientists to figure out how they mostly work.
If you want a little more of the spiritualist angle on the whole thing then the biggest suggestion I could make is a combination of using "Meditation, Holiness, or Study" as a means of acquiring energy reserve for performing stunts. And also give most psi's who have actually trained and are not just relying on innate gifts Wild Talent (ability use) that costs energy that can only be acquired by Meditation, Holiness, or Study, and allow universal psi talent at low levels as well as varying the amount of prep time required for wild talent from nothing up through 8 hours.

EDIT: I'd also suggest looking at the Logos and Noumena powers from GURPS Powers The Weird. Since the ideas behind those were basically how everyone I knew who believed in psionic powers believed and taught that psionic powers worked. We definitely believed that psionic powers would evolve into Cosmic powers in line with those things.

Last edited by oneofmanynameless; 12-05-2020 at 10:42 AM.
oneofmanynameless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 10:38 AM   #24
AlexanderHowl

It would be thematic to allow psychics to treat time meditating as training and intensive meditation as the equivalent of intensive training. For a proper Cold War feel, I would suggest offering TL9^ ultratech drugs that give characters psionoc powers. For example, in a TL8^ setting, you could have a medium duration injectable drug exist that gives characters Mind Control [50] for ([25-HT]/4) hours, which would cost $1,500/dose ($50, ×10 for duration, ×1 for form, ×3 for +1 TL) or a very long duration injectable that gives characters Mind Shield 10 [40] for a week, which would cost $30,000/dose ($40, ×250 for duration, ×1 for form, ×3 for +1 TL).
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 10:58 AM   #25
oneofmanynameless

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
It would be thematic to allow psychics to treat time meditating as training and intensive meditation as the equivalent of intensive training. For a proper Cold War feel, I would suggest offering TL9^ ultratech drugs that give characters psionoc powers. For example, in a TL8^ setting, you could have a medium duration injectable drug exist that gives characters Mind Control [50] for ([25-HT]/4) hours, which would cost $1,500/dose ($50, ×10 for duration, ×1 for form, ×3 for +1 TL) or a very long duration injectable that gives characters Mind Shield 10 [40] for a week, which would cost $30,000/dose ($40, ×250 for duration, ×1 for form, ×3 for +1 TL).
That's super thematic. Although on the topic of drugs: if you want to use the spiritualist angle I described above then drugs of any kind, including the psi producing ones, should be actively detrimental to a psi's built up spiritual power from Devotion, Study, and Holiness. Basically along the lines of "They help a lot in the short run, but with some measure of unpredictability. But they ruin your ability to do it in the long run."
oneofmanynameless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 12:14 PM   #26
AlexanderHowl

I agree, though I believe that is more narrative than mechanical. Drugs would be the quick and dirty way to temporary power while meditation would be the slow and sure way to permanent power. In order to discourage overlap, you could increase the effective HT of characters for the purpose of duration calculations by their total level in Psionic Talents, meaning that characters would burn through the drugs quicker the more powerful they become.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 02:45 PM   #27
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneofmanynameless View Post
If you want a little more of the spiritualist angle on the whole thing then the biggest suggestion I could make is a combination of using "Meditation, Holiness, or Study" as a means of acquiring energy reserve for performing stunts. And also give most psi's who have actually trained and are not just relying on innate gifts Wild Talent (ability use) that costs energy that can only be acquired by Meditation, Holiness, or Study, and allow universal psi talent at low levels as well as varying the amount of prep time required for wild talent from nothing up through 8 hours.
That's an interesting thought. I should raid Thaumatology for more ideas like that. It would produce something like what we think psi works like. Yes, indeed.

Quote:
EDIT: I'd also suggest looking at the Logos and Noumena powers from GURPS Powers The Weird. Since the ideas behind those were basically how everyone I knew who believed in psionic powers believed and taught that psionic powers worked. We definitely believed that psionic powers would evolve into Cosmic powers in line with those things.
One of the things I'm allowing is Reality Control as a psi power. I'm still trying to decide how to treat it. I'm not a fan of Illusion for this. It produces too big a result for too little. I think I'll end up using a version of Godlike Control suitably altered and defined.

Become a Patron!
Old 12-05-2020, 02:48 PM   #28
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post

Quote:
That's super thematic. Although on the topic of drugs: if you want to use the spiritualist angle I described above then drugs of any kind, including the psi producing ones, should be actively detrimental to a psi's built up spiritual power from Devotion, Study, and Holiness. Basically along the lines of "They help a lot in the short run, but with some measure of unpredictability. But they ruin your ability to do it in the long run."
I think that drugs will be either temporary for psi or only boost those with psi. In the setting, psychic powers are something you're born with, not something you can get.

Become a Patron!
Old 12-05-2020, 03:32 PM   #29
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
One of the things I'm allowing is Reality Control as a psi power. I'm still trying to decide how to treat it.
Powers: The Weird has material that can help with this, especially the Power of "Noumena."
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 03:36 PM   #30
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Powers: The Weird has material that can help with this, especially the Power of "Noumena."
I remember from the playtest. I'm not sure I want to use the Illusion route for that. I think using Godlike Control with specific example usage might be better. Still, I'll look at it again and see what functions better.

Become a Patron!