Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-25-2020, 11:40 AM   #11
Anders

Default Re: The Food College Bothers Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
The spells in themselves don't bother me. Utilitarian magic certainly has it's place. it's the college that bothers me. I find myself wanting to either see it expanded with more fantastic spells or incorporated into a more expansive college.
Something like Heroes' Feast from D&D?
Old 11-25-2020, 12:26 PM   #12
Rolando

It's food!
what do you expect?

Animal college can transform a man into an animal.

Food college is just for food and food related stuff.

Can be very powerful strategically, armies in the field with a circle of food mages can be very powerful, and food guerrilla mages can be devastating to an invading army,also in a siege both parties can make good use of food magic.

But is food, food fights are not even fun.
Rolando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 12:31 PM   #13
Gold & Appel Inc

Well, there's always Body of Food. You think that's just an ordinary blueberry muffin hiding in plain sight on the table, but it's really a magical ninja!
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 01:06 PM   #14
transmetahuman

Why in the world would someone who regularly gets into fights specialize exclusively in the food college? Well, someone with the bad luck to be born with One College Magery: Food College and a frankly insane stubborn refusal to just focus on weapon skills instead, I guess. I'm sure there was someone like that born somewhere in the infinite multiverse - but I doubt he found adventuring companions.
transmetahuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 01:32 PM   #15
Imbicatus

I think I remember an old pyramid (maybe a print issue) had food college spells that had some “food fight” attack spells. These were 3e, but should still be useable
Imbicatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 01:59 PM   #16
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbicatus View Post
I think I remember an old pyramid (maybe a print issue) had food college spells that had some “food fight” attack spells. These were 3e, but should still be useable
That might have been the Cheese College. It had (at least) a Jet Spell that sprayed molten cheese at your enemies.

Don't laugh at cheese burns. I've still got a visible place on my leg where dropping a tray of Baked Ziti with Meatballs spalttered myself with the stuff. 2nd degree burns baby!
Old 11-25-2020, 01:59 PM   #17
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmetahuman View Post
Why in the world would someone who regularly gets into fights specialize exclusively in the food college? Well, someone with the bad luck to be born with One College Magery: Food College and a frankly insane stubborn refusal to just focus on weapon skills instead, I guess. I'm sure there was someone like that born somewhere in the infinite multiverse - but I doubt he found adventuring companions.
Too bad Create Food has 30 seconds casting time or you could use it on your foe's weapons and armor.
Old 11-25-2020, 02:18 PM   #18
Imbicatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
That might have been the Cheese College. It had (at least) a Jet Spell that sprayed molten cheese at your enemies.

Don't laugh at cheese burns. I've still got a visible place on my leg where dropping a tray of Baked Ziti with Meatballs spalttered myself with the stuff. 2nd degree burns baby!
The cheese collage was good, but I think I was thinking of the IOU spells in number 23. There was Animate Food, Food Jet, and Spice Jet.
Imbicatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 02:20 PM   #19
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmetahuman View Post
Why in the world would someone who regularly gets into fights specialize exclusively in the food college? s.
It's actually not about fighting although I am inclined to add a Starvation spell. It's mostly about the Food college being apparently restricted to mundane applications when you can do fantastic things with all the other colleges.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 04:59 PM   #20
adm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Note that Create Food allows you to eat through dungeon walls, shackles, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyneras View Post
I've never liked the idea that you can turn a portion of a larger object into food to wear it down. A entire single chain link, fine. The wall? Unless you have the mana to turn the entire wall, and thus the entire dungeon, into food at one go I'm not allowing it.
Depends on how the wall is made, a brick at a time? Sure, turn that into food. A solid stone wall? All, or none.

Tags
essential food, food college