Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-06-2020, 11:08 AM   #11
Anthony

Default Re: healing/regeneration and non-surgical bullet/arrow expulsion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edges View Post
Fascinating.

Is lead poisoning not an issue with leaving bullets in people?
Yes, it is, though it looks like the recommendation isn't to change policy about removing them, just keep an eye out for later issues.
Old 11-21-2020, 07:17 PM   #12
acrosome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
750 grain bullets weigh more than an ounce, sixteen ounce-bullets in you and that's a pound of non-functional encumbrance
Good Lord, Brother, if you've been hit by sixteen 750 grain bullets then you have far bigger problems than your encumbrance...

Just sayin'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Yes, it is, though it looks like the recommendation isn't to change policy about removing them, just keep an eye out for later issues.
The lead isn't in a particularly bioavailable form. Not normally a problem. But $#!+ happens.

Last edited by acrosome; 11-21-2020 at 07:23 PM.
acrosome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 08:02 PM   #13
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
750 grain bullets weigh more than an ounce, sixteen ounce-bullets in you and that's a pound of non-functional encumbrance
I rather suspect that 16 750 grain bullets (a not atypical value, if a tetch high, for a .50 BMG round) have struck a human, the result is “hamburger.”
DouglasCole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 09:23 PM   #14
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
I rather suspect that 16 750 grain bullets (a not atypical value, if a tetch high, for a .50 BMG round) have struck a human, the result is “hamburger.”
Bear in mind that this is in the context of supernatural healing or regeneration, and thus might involve supernatural injury tolerance as well.
Old 11-21-2020, 09:59 PM   #15
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Bear in mind that this is in the context of supernatural healing or regeneration, and thus might involve supernatural injury tolerance as well.
Well, Unkillable 2 mostly. Unkillable 3 leaves this problem behind him and UK1 doesn't get far enough. IT:Diffuse isn't dead unless he had very few HP to bagin with. IT:Homogenous might get the UK1 guy far enough for it to matter if he also had a base of 30+ HP.

That's off the top of my head but It looks like it's a pretty specialized situation.
Old 11-22-2020, 12:36 PM   #16
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Unkillable 2 mostly.
Unkillable 3 leaves this problem behind him
and UK1 doesn't get far enough.
Even without UK1 we aren't necessarily talking about mortals getting all these bullets in a short period of time.

Maybe you get 1 bullet lodged in you per day with the wound healed by your mage friend, and at the end of the month you're 2 pounds heavier because they didn't get removed?

Quote:
IT:Diffuse isn't dead unless he had very few HP to bagin with.
IT:Homogenous might get the UK1 guy far enough for it to matter if he also had a base of 30+ HP.
That's off the top of my head but It looks like it's a pretty specialized situation.
IT:Damage Reduction / Supernatural Durability might also whether the wounds.

DR (natural or worn) is also an interesting consideration too.

If you're wearing DR5 and some 1d attacks occasionally get 1 Penetrating Damage, wouldn't the entire slug still be in your body?

Or... what happens to the 5/6 of shots that are entirely stopped by DR? Do some stay lodged in your dented metal plate (though you could probably remove them more easily than from your flesh) vs bouncing off and falling to the ground near you?
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 08:11 PM   #17
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Even without UK1 we aren't necessarily talking about mortals getting all these bullets in a short period of time.

Maybe you get 1 bullet lodged in you per day with the wound healed by your mage friend, and at the end of the month you're 2 pounds heavier because they didn't get removed?

IT:Damage Reduction / Supernatural Durability might also whether the wounds.

DR (natural or worn) is also an interesting consideration too.

If you're wearing DR5 and some 1d attacks occasionally get 1 Penetrating Damage, wouldn't the entire slug still be in your body?

Or... what happens to the 5/6 of shots that are entirely stopped by DR? Do some stay lodged in your dented metal plate (though you could probably remove them more easily than from your flesh) vs bouncing off and falling to the ground near you?
A .50 BMG even out of one of the shorrter barrels is 12D or 42pts of penetration and 63 pts of tissue damage. That's beyond the -5xHP point for anyone with 10 HP to start with. So surviving even one of those is unlikely for an average guy.

Unless you're using the "blowthrough" rules and in that case there is no remaining projectile. It's probably only the lower end of pistol bullets or shorgun pellets that don't blow through and those won't add up to an ounce per. A whole load of shotgun pellets is only c. an ounce and a half or less.

Enough Damage Reduction to keep rifle bullets from blowing through does complicate the situation. What happens with Supernatural Durability is anybody's guess as the rules in that are dubious holdover's from G:Vampire the Masquerade and I find them hard to parse.

Bullets may remain in ballistic fiber armor or even ballistic fiber carriers for harder trauma plates. Actually steel-like armor will see most non-penetrating bullets either riccochet or shatter.
Old 11-23-2020, 07:07 AM   #18
Plane

Quote:
A .50 BMG even out of one of the shorrter barrels is 12D or 42pts of penetration and 63 pts of tissue damage. That's beyond the -5xHP point for anyone with 10 HP to start with. So surviving even one of those is unlikely for an average guy.

Bullets may remain in ballistic fiber armor or even ballistic fiber carriers for harder trauma plates
Yeah I probably shouldn't have gone w/ the heaviest round for this example... lighter rounds would be a more common threat anyway

checking for something lighter on B278...

a .36 revolver has a 0.24 weight for payload, divided by 6 shots = 0.04 per round.

I don't know exactly how much of a cartridge is the % of weight which is the fired bullet so I'll just say 25% for convenience (low-ball?) to make that 0.01

This would means it would take getting shot 100 times (whether in your fiber armor or your flesh that your mage friend heals) to gain 1 pound of weight? Could still add up.

This could especially matter for creatures like zombies who can just keep on truckin' due to how Unliving reduces Piercing damage (as Homogenous). They have lower Cover DR so heavy rounds would be more likely to overpenetrate and not get lodged, but low damage should still stay stuck.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 07:09 AM   #19
Fred Brackin

Quote:

I don't know exactly how much of a cartridge is the % of weight which is the fired bullet so I'll just say 25% for convenience (low-ball?) to make that 0.01
Sources for bullet weights are pretty common. Your problem would be that US sources tend to be in grains. There are 7000 graisn to the pound and common weights for things that might not blow through are 147 grains for a 9mm HP. That rounds up to 48 to the pound.

It's 62 grains for a 5.56mm NATO and at short range that might not blow through because it'll break up
Old 11-24-2020, 10:13 AM   #20
Anthony

Now, figure out how much dead weight Wolverine would have picked up over the years (though occasionally getting skeletonized and regenerating back probably takes care of it).

Tags
bullet removal, rapid healing, regeneration, shrapnel removal, surgery