Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-08-2016, 04:57 AM   #341
Mailanka

Default Re: Mailanka's Musings -- GURPS Content Post

Finally, if you're going to rewrite combat, compile it into a simple Cheat Sheet for your players.
Old 09-09-2016, 11:06 PM   #342
Tallor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailanka View Post
Finally, if you're going to rewrite combat, compile it into a simple Cheat Sheet for your players.
It's organized, but if I may suggest--I always imagined the sliding scale of attack/defense being on a sort of dial, like on an oven or washing machine.

Something like...

All-Out Defense
Determined Defense
Evaluate
Attack
Determined Attack
All-Out Attack

And of course, Do Nothing! :P
Tallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 10:18 AM   #343
Emerald Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallor View Post
And of course, Do Nothing! :P
All-Out-Defense is a much better option than Do Nothing!
Emerald Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 05:42 AM   #344
JoelSammallahti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallor View Post

All-Out Defense
Determined Defense
Evaluate
Attack
Determined Attack
All-Out Attack
You mean Defensive Attack and Committed Attack, right?
JoelSammallahti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 05:43 AM   #345
JoelSammallahti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailanka View Post
This is really useful. I should cough one up myself once I'm decided on the optional and house rules I'm using.
JoelSammallahti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 05:49 AM   #346
Mailanka

Gentlemen, I haven't been feeling well (the fact that I'm still posting suggests that I'm feeling better than I am, as I schedule stuff to be posted in advance: I haven't actually written anything all week), but I'll take a look at some of these suggestions when I'm feeling better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelSammallahti View Post
This is really useful. I should cough one up myself once I'm decided on the optional and house rules I'm using.
I had the idea as I worked on CBR. The problem with GURPS is that it's got so many optional rules that if you start to drift far from RAW, then your players might not know what their options are. In many games, that's not so important, but in a martial arts game where you're encouraging players to use every ounce of advantage they can, and a single perk can make a considerable difference to how one fights, then you need to carefully define for your players how they can fight and what choices are available to them.

Psi-Wars is going to be a similar sort of game, at least for Space Knights and Assassins and other martial arts types, so I wanted to have the optional rules easily available.
Old 09-12-2016, 01:09 AM   #347
Mailanka

This week, I write up some martial arts! Today, I take a look at what it takes to Design New Martial Arts (appropriate to Psi-Wars, of course)
Old 09-12-2016, 06:29 AM   #348
Humabout

Hope you feel better, Mailanka. This series has been at least as useful many GURPS books out there, and the game cannot benefit enough from examples of its application. I continue looking forward to new posts as you feel well enough to make them.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 06:35 AM   #349
Mailanka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humabout View Post
Hope you feel better, Mailanka. This series has been at least as useful many GURPS books out there, and the game cannot benefit enough from examples of its application. I continue looking forward to new posts as you feel well enough to make them.
I always work ahead, so I've got posts all the way up to the middle of November, so even if I got hit by a bus and DIED, I'd still keep posting from beyond the grave for a few months

I've also been feeling well enough to get some additional posts up, but you'll notice a lack of bonus posts lately, and I've put a pause to collating everything into a nice, easy-to-read document, instead of leaving it scattered across my blog, though I hope to have it finished by the time Iteration 4 finishes.
Old 09-12-2016, 07:07 AM   #350
Kalzazz

A lack of sleep or other confusion caused me to read Martini Arrs
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blog, blogs, determined attack, telegraphic attack