Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-28-2011, 11:12 AM   #1
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default [Technical Solutions] Complete Guide to Tanking in GURPS

Greetings, all!

Given the somewhat counter-intuitive nature of the issue, I've decided to make a grand unified compendium of tips and tricks useful for 'tank' characters - those who defend the squishy wizards, clumsy nobles, and other high-priority low-defence targets of the party. This thread is intended as a listing and discussion of methods and traits that are useful in this endeavour in Low-Tech Fantasy.

Basic Assumptions
It is expected that the setting is most likely around TL3 or 4, that the characters are capable of at least rudimentary combat cooperation (e.g. the squishy one doesn't just charge into the fray without warning), and that mêlée combat is the primary threat for the squishy ones, even though ranged attacks are not to be ignored.

When / do you need a Tank?
A dedicated Tank character is required when the majority of these conditions are met:
  • The party contains 'squishy' characters that require more protection and/or don't have meaningful protection of their own in combat.
  • The party contains a dedicated damage dealer (or several) who are better off focusing on straight offence, not on defence and disruption.
  • The opponents are commonly easier to disable temporarily (sweep, disarm etc.) than to defeat instantly (kill/K.O./etc.). This also holds true when there are simply more opponents than can be defeated in a turn or two.
If neither of the conditions is true, just build a fighter that is tough enough to survive; don't bother with a tank build.

On survival
One of the more common misconceptions is that ability to soak a lot of damage is the primary trait of a tank. It is not. A tank who can withstand enormous amounts of damage, but does not present a credible threat to enemy damage-dealers is of little use. Instead, a tank must be able to disrupt enemy damage dealers and make sure that going after the PCs' squishy is non-trivial.
Still, HP gives both survivability and slam damage, which is good.

Equipment
A tank typically needs a set of equipment that is conducive to the role. Armour is, of course, useful, but it must not over-encumber too much, as movement speed can be paramount.
A tank's weapons would typically be either a weapon-and-shield, or a polearm. A shield is good for blocking, slamming, and possibly cover. A properly chosen polearm can benefit from the Staff skill and/or provide the ability to slam two opponents; it can also give the Reach benefit. Note that Polearms are likely Parry 0U weapons, so you will want to rely on Defensive Attacks more; also, consider adding a hilt (guard) to your polearms, as per LTC2.
If you absolutely must build an unarmed tank, definitely take Judo, as it best serves the purpose of disrupting attackers, including armed ones. In fact, you might want to take Judo as a secondary skill even as an armed tank, just in case you get disarmed or something.

Useful Traits
Here are some traits that tanks will find useful. Obviously, get Weapon Master if you can, as it provides many neat improvements. High Pain Threshold helps, but you can afford to skip it if necessary. Combat Reflexes are a must, as they allow you to snap into combat in case of an ambush much more efficiently.

Separate Styles can be found here.

Perks and Techniques
Form Mastery
This is good for staff/polearm tanks who want to benefit from longer reach and the staff grip on the same turn.

Sacrificial Parry
Useful to various extents, depending on whether you have Teamwork, a shield, and the Shield-Wall Training perk. If you're a Polearm tank, get it ASAP.

Shield-Wall Training
This Perk is absolutely essential for Shield Tanks, as it allows Blocking for an ally. The penalty removal is not to be underestimated either.

Shtick
An Combat Intimidation shtick can be useful, but is situational. This is most useful for passive/multi-target tanking.

Skill Adaptation and Special Setup
These Perks are useful to have when picking certain Techniques that do not fall under your primary skills (see below.)

Teamwork
Absolutely awesome Perk, and outright essential for a Polearm Tank. Parrying for a teammate is good all by itself, but the ability to make a Defensive Feint and transfer the benefit to the squishy wizard is awesome.

Disarming can be pretty efficient when maxed out, but not against 'dire' animals.

Feint is good when combined with Teamwork.

Hook is a powerful single-target disable, but isn't much use against a mob.

Shield Slam, while not typically listed among Techniques, can be devastating for a quick knockdown. In fact, it can be used as a gap-closer too.

Slams with Long Weapons, likewise.

Sweep is pretty good by itself, potentially disrupting a damage-dealer for about 2 seconds.

Trip requires some work to be useful, but can save a squishy from a charging opponent. To use it, you will need either the proper skill, or Skill Adaptation (Trip defaults to Polearm).

Flying Lunge - this can be used as a gap-closer in case you need to perform an attack 5-7 yards away from your current position right now.

Grand Disarm - think of this Cinematic Technique as a cross between a Whirlwind Attack (below) and a Disarm.

Whirlwind Attack is somewhat of a desperate measure. It doesn't do much good by itself, but it threatens a large number of targets, and it makes you an attractive target too, possibly drawing attention from the squishy.

Powers and Advantages
See Bears and Gem Knights.

-----------------------------------------------------
Manoeuvres and Tactics
A tank has two primary ways of denying offence to the enemy damage-dealers: active and passive. Active is disruption performed by offensive manoeuvres - Attack, All-Out Attack etc. Passive is the ability to Block or Parry against an attack that targets the squishy, the interruptions performed from a Wait Manoeuvre, and whatever cover the tank provides just by standing in the way.

Active tanking is better against single threats, as it allows putting a lot of pressure on the enemy damage dealer, and results in heavy disruption. Active tanking benefits more from having multiple attacks (from any source), since they can somewhat compensate for a missed roll or many simultaneous targets.
Passive tanking is potentially more viable against multiple targets, as it allows the tank to deny the most serious threat first when it comes for the squishy, without needing to decide which enemy damage dealer is the most threatening in advance. It also has the psychological advantage, in that in a reasonable group of sane NPCs, nobody wants to be the first to be whacked by the big'un.

Whatever build the tank has chosen, Waits should not be neglected if the threat isn't in range yet. Likewise, a passive tank should likely switch to aggressive disruption if the enemy damage dealer has already engaged the squishy, as there is little to be gained from a Wait at this point.

-----------------------------------------------------

If anyone is willing to add comments - additions, changes etc. - please do.
Thanks in advance!

Last edited by vicky_molokh; 07-09-2012 at 08:33 AM.
vicky_molokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:28 AM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: [Technical Solutions] Complete Guide to Tanking in GURPS

Judo Throw. Not only does it let you knock someone down but it might stun them which is a huge advantage.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:35 AM   #3
Peter Knutsen
Banned

In some computer games, "tanks" can increase the likelihood of NPCs ("mobs") attacking them instead of attacking other party members. In some games this is via tweaking the NPC's perception of how much damage each party member causes, so that the "tank" seems to each NPC to be causing more damage than he actually is (at the same time some other party members may have abilities that causes NPCs to perceive them as causing somewhat less damage than they actually do, and the same goes for party healers whose healing efficiency may be underestimated by the NPCs).

Another somewhat more plausible ability is taunting in various ways, which again increases the likelihood of NPCs attacking the taunter rather than other of its foes, but realistically, this only works on foes with minds, and may require special skills (Animal Handling, for lack of something better) or Languages (it's easier to taunt Orcs if you can insult them in Orcish).

Another option again is to almost-force NPCs to attack you (the tank) via some combat option that means that if they attack anyone else they are subject to a penalty. Like the previous, this can be tweaked to be rather realistic. It makes less sense for ranged attacks and spells, and such abilities in no way forces the NPC to choose an attack option - it is free to do other things.

Even more realistic is the ability to control ground, via something similar to the attack-of-opportunity rule from D&D3, which among other reasons exists to discourage "en passant"-style movement where the NPCs run past the warrior so they can hack away at the squishy party wizard with their swords. From what I've heard, the AoO rules in D&D3 were terribly difficult to learn and arbitrate, and I'd very much like something simpler and more "en passant"-focused for my own design projects, but I haven't got anything yet, so have nothing to share. The kernel of such abilities in GURPS is pretty obvious: Extra Attack with a Limitation -?? Only To Prevent En Passant-style Movement. The devil is in the details, though. Defining exactly when such Extra Attacks may be used, via objective rules.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:45 AM   #4
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Tactics skill, for the 'rerolls' it grants you if using the optional rules in (um . . . ) High Tech? Gun Fu? Martial Arts? One of them. A tank that gets rerolls can grant them to his buds, which allows him to protect them from lucky rolls.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:47 AM   #5
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
Even more realistic is the ability to control ground, via something similar to the attack-of-opportunity rule from D&D3, which among other reasons exists to discourage "en passant"-style movement where the NPCs run past the warrior so they can hack away at the squishy party wizard with their swords. From what I've heard, the AoO rules in D&D3 were terribly difficult to learn and arbitrate, and I'd very much like something simpler and more "en passant"-focused for my own design projects, but I haven't got anything yet, so have nothing to share. The kernel of such abilities in GURPS is pretty obvious: Extra Attack with a Limitation -?? Only To Prevent En Passant-style Movement. The devil is in the details, though. Defining exactly when such Extra Attacks may be used, via objective rules.
Wait. What you're looking for is Extra Attack, sure (so you can attack a foe in front of you), and then Wait, so that if someone tries to run past, you can smack 'em.

There's no special rule needed for this; interrupting movement is what Waits are for.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:11 PM   #6
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Wait. What you're looking for is Extra Attack, sure (so you can attack a foe in front of you), and then Wait, so that if someone tries to run past, you can smack 'em.

There's no special rule needed for this; interrupting movement is what Waits are for.
Extra Attack only works if you take an Attack manuever (including any variations of that theme). It doesn't work with Move, Concentrate, Aim or Wait.

That is, you can convert your wait into an Attack and an Extra Attack, but you can't make your Extra Attack and then Wait.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:20 PM   #7
Anthony

The main reason for not charging past a front line defender in GURPS is the risk that they'll turn around and whack you in the back. Of course, if you have buddies, they can in turn whack the defender in the back, so this is a somewhat limited threat. The fact is, real-world 'tanking' is mostly about being in the way -- take a wait, and if they run forward, step into their path and attack them. Even if your attack fails to stop them, they can't continue without slamming in to you. In reality, it's very hard for a single person to 'tank' except by being too dangerous to ignore (and even that rarely works against more than one foe at a time), it's more the role of a line or formation of multiple people (defensive/offensive line in football, say, or a shield line).
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 12:22 PM   #8
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
Extra Attack only works if you take an Attack manuever (including any variations of that theme). It doesn't work with Move, Concentrate, Aim or Wait.

That is, you can convert your wait into an Attack and an Extra Attack, but you can't make your Extra Attack and then Wait.
I'd house-rule this in an instant, for the reasons I state above. It's an elegatn solution. I would probably force a Per roll to execute this in combat, maybe a perception-based weapon skill roll, but I'd definitely allow it.

I'm not saying your quotation of RAW is wrong. It's just something that feels like a change would be a good addition to a fighter's capabilities.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:29 PM   #9
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
I'd house-rule this in an instant, for the reasons I state above. It's an elegatn solution. I would probably force a Per roll to execute this in combat, maybe a perception-based weapon skill roll, but I'd definitely allow it.

I'm not saying your quotation of RAW is wrong. It's just something that feels like a change would be a good addition to a fighter's capabilities.
Sure, it's a good addition to a fighter's capabilities, but that doesn't change the fact that an Extra Attack that works with a manuever that isn't some variety of Attack is worth more than 25 points. You'll note that the cost of being able to choose two different manuevers in a turn is worth 100 points and this is clearly a limited version of that.

If taking Extra Attack for 25 points conferred this ability, no fighting character would ever not take it. That is an indication that it might be overpowered.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:37 PM   #10
Polydamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
The main reason for not charging past a front line defender in GURPS is the risk that they'll turn around and whack you in the back. Of course, if you have buddies, they can in turn whack the defender in the back, so this is a somewhat limited threat. The fact is, real-world 'tanking' is mostly about being in the way -- take a wait, and if they run forward, step into their path and attack them. Even if your attack fails to stop them, they can't continue without slamming in to you. In reality, it's very hard for a single person to 'tank' except by being too dangerous to ignore (and even that rarely works against more than one foe at a time), it's more the role of a line or formation of multiple people (defensive/offensive line in football, say, or a shield line).
Yes, the Wait manoeuver on a 1 second timescale represents what the AoO rules did on D&D's 6 second timescale. The other option is having a ranged weapon ready to shoot anyone who comes forward or leaves cover, but again that uses a Wait manoeuver (or the suppressive fire rules).

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, combat rules, interdiction, tank, tanking, technical solutions