Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-24-2011, 09:23 PM   #1
pawsplay

Default Indestructible sword?

A) Innate Attack
4 point impaling attack (Melee Attack, Reach 1,2, ST-based, +80%, Can Be Stolen -30%, Unique -25%) [14]
3 point crutting attack (Melee Attack, Reach 1, ST-based, +75%, Can Be Stolen -30%, Unique -25%) [1]

or

B) Signature Gear (Very fine thrusting broadsword) [1], plus
DR 1 (Protects sword only, -30%, Can Be Stolen, -30%, Unique -25%) [2]

... noting that rather than DR 1 for the sword (which is redundant in this case), it could be any other trait.

Does the very fact of it being indestructible disquality the sword from being based on gear? I note that a sword that will never break from a Parry is a nice thing.

Headaches of method A: it uses Broadsword skill rather than Innate Attack, and I'm not quite sure what allowances I need to make for it doing normal parries rather than Power Parries.
pawsplay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:46 PM   #2
vitruvian

Default Re: Indestructible sword?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawsplay View Post
A) Innate Attack
4 point impaling attack (Melee Attack, Reach 1,2, ST-based, +80%, Can Be Stolen -30%, Unique -25%) [14]
3 point crutting attack (Melee Attack, Reach 1, ST-based, +75%, Can Be Stolen -30%, Unique -25%) [1]

or

B) Signature Gear (Very fine thrusting broadsword) [1], plus
DR 1 (Protects sword only, -30%, Can Be Stolen, -30%, Unique -25%) [2]

... noting that rather than DR 1 for the sword (which is redundant in this case), it could be any other trait.

Does the very fact of it being indestructible disquality the sword from being based on gear? I note that a sword that will never break from a Parry is a nice thing.

Headaches of method A: it uses Broadsword skill rather than Innate Attack, and I'm not quite sure what allowances I need to make for it doing normal parries rather than Power Parries.
Do A, the headaches aren't. There's nothing imbalancing about using a skill that's more difficult than Brawling in place of Brawling, and Melee Innate Attacks already parry normally (not with Power Parries) with no inherent risk of breakage unless you take Cannot Parry. After all, if you didn't take Can Be Stolen, it could represent a sword or claw of telekinetic force or any other special effect you chose, which couldn't break or be stolen.

Looks like you made the Cutting Attack an Alternative Attack to the Impaling, but that should really be explicit in the writeup, showing the derived cost before the 1/5. Also, if you're doing ST-Based in order to simulate a sword, you can probably reduce the base damage and cost to match some actual type of sword, even with Very Fine.
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:51 PM   #3
pawsplay

That damage matches a VF thrusting broadsword.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:42 PM   #4
vitruvian

Quote:
That damage matches a VF thrusting broadsword.
Fair enough, keep the values then. I'd still advise to make the AA 1/5 cost for the Cutting explicit.
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:10 PM   #5
LemmingLord

I'd let you have an indestructable sword as a 0 pt feature if you bought a sword. Of course it will be surprising how many enemies will have a 0 pt feature "swords don't break during fights except on critical failures/successes where it makes sense")
Old 03-26-2011, 10:14 AM   #6
pawsplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemmingLord View Post
I'd let you have an indestructable sword as a 0 pt feature if you bought a sword. Of course it will be surprising how many enemies will have a 0 pt feature "swords don't break during fights except on critical failures/successes where it makes sense")
I don't know what this means, but it sounds like some sort of threat.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:34 AM   #7
gjc8

Quote:
I don't know what this means, but it sounds like some sort of threat.
It sounds to me more like "the weapon breakage rules are a pain, so this gaming group ignores them except in extraordinary circumstances".
gjc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:39 AM   #8
pawsplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjc8 View Post
It sounds to me more like "the weapon breakage rules are a pain, so this gaming group ignores them except in extraordinary circumstances".
I can see that.

Still, it doesn't help me much when looking at a sword-wielding superhero. It doesn't suit my sensibilities to let a normal sword parry particle beams or super-punches.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:19 AM   #9
David Johnston2

Quote:
Does the very fact of it being indestructible disquality the sword from being based on gear?

I'd say so. "Real" swords are breakable. Not getting the limitation on the enhancement won't make the rest of it any less breakable.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 01:00 PM   #10
malloyd

Surely this is all trying to hard. Unless you think the player is going to try to abuse "indestructable", in which case you should disallow using that word at all, this simply isn't worth much.

"My sword never breaks" isn't more than a perk if "never" is defined as "in combat situations where the weapon breakage rules would normally apply". If it was something really expensive and/or you'd allow it to be used to hold up a battleship, I might charge a few more points. I suppose it's sort of the inverse of the Breakable limitation on a gadget, so I might figure out how much the Wealth level necessary to replace it would cost and charge 20% of that for the expensive thing, and maybe 5 points for the "may end up defying physical law" level of indestructability in a Supers game or other setting I'd allow it at all.