Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Card Games

Old 10-02-2009, 10:07 AM   #11
mib2932

Default Re: Cards for the current administration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
As I understood it, the Bridge to Nowhere was a project that Sarah Palin lobbied to get federal funding for, and then put her name on the map by publicly spurning it at an opportune moment.
And you understand it incorrectly.

The funding had been approved by Congress long before she ran for governor. She was not involved with "lobbying" for it at all. She showed support for it while she was running, but that is typical to garner votes in an area. Similar to any politician going into an area where there is a project underway that lots of locals support and saying "I support it too!", even though they had nothing to do with it. "Ich bein ein Berliner" sort of thing.
mib2932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 10:30 AM   #12
Holden

Mib, your right, she didn't lobby for it, BUT Rocketman is right that she did campaign on it A LOT and then pull the carpet out from under them. The people in that town were pretty ****** that she ended up not standing up for the bridge once the pressure was on. They had made a lot of long term plans around that bridge.

Anywho, now I understand and the card makes perfect sense! I'm off to make into into a card and print it up (and add it to the page where I'm posting those things Edit - ADDED!!!)!!!

Rocket Man, I like the idea for Godwin's law, but is there way to change the card so it's not so hitlerize specific? And sence you seem to like Hitlerize I'll go make a card for that one too!

Last edited by Holden; 10-02-2009 at 11:09 AM.
Holden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 11:52 AM   #13
plasmoid

Ha!
Love the terms Hopenosis and Hitlerize.
Maybe Oboma should have a hopenosis-like ability.
plasmoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 12:07 PM   #14
Holden

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmoid View Post
Ha!
Love the terms Hopenosis and Hitlerize.
Maybe Oboma should have a hopenosis-like ability.
Well, hopenosis is inspired by Obama, obviously. I actually got the idea from a picture of Obama holdinging up a twirling/hypnotyzing orb that said "hopenosis". Does everyone think the card is good the way it is? Should I take the global power out ebfore making the card?

btw, I'm getting together with a lot of people for games tonight... so if I'm pushing to make cards today, well, thats why. I'm printing em out and putting them in decks as I make em!
Old 10-02-2009, 12:42 PM   #15
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden View Post
Well, hopenosis is inspired by Obama, obviously. I actually got the idea from a picture of Obama holdinging up a twirling/hypnotyzing orb that said "hopenosis". Does everyone think the card is good the way it is? Should I take the global power out ebfore making the card?

btw, I'm getting together with a lot of people for games tonight... so if I'm pushing to make cards today, well, thats why. I'm printing em out and putting them in decks as I make em!
I like it, but even with the first failure knocking it out, +10 seems a bit too powerful for a long-term ability. I'd think about toning it down a little.

And mib2932, thanks for correcting me on the fine details of the Bridge to Nowhere. You're right, she didn't formally lobby for it ... but as Holden mentioned, she did make a lot of political hay from it on both sides of the issue, which was a pretty neat trick.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 01:18 PM   #16
Holden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
I like it, but even with the first failure knocking it out, +10 seems a bit too powerful for a long-term ability. I'd think about toning it down a little.

And mib2932, thanks for correcting me on the fine details of the Bridge to Nowhere. You're right, she didn't formally lobby for it ... but as Holden mentioned, she did make a lot of political hay from it on both sides of the issue, which was a pretty neat trick.
How about +5 power and +2 Global power? Or should I just drop the Global Power?

ALSO interesting Palin note: since she resigned she kind of disapeared from the state and we were all kind of wondering where the ehll she went, and yesterday when the news of her book broke we all got to find out: she moved to California to "write" her book! Sucks she's coming back to the state now.... most of us are sick of her... I know I am!
Old 10-03-2009, 07:22 PM   #17
dave-o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden View Post
-------------
Hopenosis (plot)
-------------
Play to give a personality +10 power and +2 Global power do to the hope their speeches now inspire all across the world! this is a free action and the bonus is permanent, but if the group ever takes part in an action that fails the masses lose faith in the speakers message of hope and the affects of this card end.
You should add to this idea the ability for another player to play this plot card from their own hand on one of their controlled personalities, which negates the effect of the prior card played and requires the previous Hopenosis card to be discarded. (There's always a new snake-oil vendor... err... messenger of hope in town! :p )
dave-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 09:18 PM   #18
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Default Re: INWO: Cards for the current administration

Plot Card: Flash Mob -- (Requires an Action from a Weird Group.) They come, they do something strange, and they go again. When the Flash Mob is put into play, pick two of your Weird groups and roll one die. On a 1-4, they may steal an Action from two Straight groups! On a 5-6, your groups lose their action. The Weird group that initiated the Flash Mob is not eligible for the penalty or the benefit.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote