Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-05-2016, 03:12 PM   #21
David Johnston2

Default Re: [Basic] Reputations for bad people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
Consider what is supposed to happen when a person like the town bully or crooked police chief encounter someone way beyond their power.

Say the police chief comes before the Duke. Which way will positive or negative reps work on him?
Frequently such a person's Reputation won't even apply to a person beyond their power because the Duke or whoever isn't a member of the affected group. Usually an abusive police chief would have a negative with "Lower class of Snootyville" or "People of Miseryville". He may have a separate positive reputation with "Upperclass of Snootyville". If the Duke actually lives in Miseryville and is included then his reaction to the cop depends on whether he's personally a Bully. If he isn't then he will probably react at a minus because he's been getting all these complaints and doesn't like it.

Last edited by David Johnston2; 12-05-2016 at 03:54 PM.
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 03:15 PM   #22
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I don’t quite think that’s it. GURPS does have social traits that are mostly detrimental but sometimes a bit beneficial but both effects come “baked into” the price. While I can’t think of a proper example offhand, the same ought to be true of effects that are mostly beneficial but sometimes a bit detrimental.

Easy. Social Status. Mostly beneficial, but not so much with revolutionaries.
Old 12-05-2016, 03:45 PM   #23
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
It is intended to represent certain characters such as Spider-Man or Robin Hood. Most people in Robin Hood are aware that he’s an outlaw/highway robber (negative reputation) but don’t particularly care. Likewise, most heroes and villains take Spider-Man as a hero despite the negative reputation Jolly J. Jonah Jameson has hung on him.
The peasants in Robin Hood aren't affected by Robin's Bad Reputation (Steals From The Rich; Small Group: Nottingham Nobility) because they aren't in the group that it affects. Likewise Robin's Good Reputation (Gives to the Poor; Small Group: Nottingham Peasants) isn't felt by the Sheriff, or the Lords of Nottingham.

As for Spidey, that's because he doesn't have a negative rep, he has an Enemy (J. Jonah Jameson) who uses his media network to smear Spidey's good name, instead of downing a mask and tights and trying to fight the webslinger mano e mano.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 03:58 PM   #24
Railstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Why wouldn't you be more intimidated by someone whose bad reputation consists of being well known for hurting people? Conversely why would you be MORE intimidated by a gun in the hands of a person famous for being a philanthropic do-gooder than you would in the hands of a famous psycho-killer?
Because the bad person well known for hurting people or the famous psycho-killer is probably going to hurt me anyway regardless of whether I do what he wants or not. I might not attack him, since he has a gun (which is true even on a Bad reaction - they seem too formidable to attack)... but I'll be thinking in terms of "my best chance of survival is to catch him unawares" instead of "I'll live if I just do what he wants."

Now I might consider "potential enemies/victims" as a large group of people for the purposes of a positive Reputation: too dangerous to cross.
Railstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 04:20 PM   #25
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
The peasants in Robin Hood aren't affected by Robin's Bad Reputation (Steals From The Rich; Small Group: Nottingham Nobility) because they aren't in the group that it affects. Likewise Robin's Good Reputation (Gives to the Poor; Small Group: Nottingham Peasants) isn't felt by the Sheriff, or the Lords of Nottingham.

As for Spidey, that's because he doesn't have a negative rep, he has an Enemy (J. Jonah Jameson) who uses his media network to smear Spidey's good name, instead of downing a mask and tights and trying to fight the webslinger mano e mano.
Oh Spidey had a rep. It's just with the group "Faithful Bugle Readers", which includes few heroes even in New York and a good one with "Superheroes of New York" because he's the team-up king of all time. He's largely outlived the first one however.
Old 12-05-2016, 05:22 PM   #26
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Oh Spidey had a rep. It's just with the group "Faithful Bugle Readers"...
That is certainly one way to build it and would have better served my point that a Reputation is very often not an "all or nothing" thing.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 08:00 PM   #27
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBW View Post
Looking at it as two separate reputations, as it might be a +1 and a -2, I got the cost by assuming that the positive one would be available ~75% of the time.

The Unwilling Patron vanishes, it's suggested, on a natural 18. Perhaps the Grudging Reputation flips when someone rolls a natural 3 on their reaction to the holder?
That could work. "He may be a bully, but he's OUR bully!"

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 10:08 AM   #28
jason taylor

How about:

OPH: Tyrant
Reputation(feared).
Rank or Social Status or other advantage(whatever position allows him to be feared).
Old 12-06-2016, 10:13 AM   #29
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railstar View Post
Because the bad person well known for hurting people or the famous psycho-killer is probably going to hurt me anyway regardless of whether I do what he wants or not.
That is not actually a good reason not to be afraid of them or to be less afraid than you be of the famous philanthropist.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:14 AM   #30
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
That could work. "He may be a bully, but he's OUR bully!"
That only works if you have some reason to be allied with him.

Suppose you are a Jew in Russia in 1942. You have no reason to love Stalin. Perhaps you have relations that just escaped the Purge. Perhaps you yourself were just hauled out of the Gulag and plopped atop a Red Army command. But you are willing to play ball, not because you love Stalin but because you dislike the possibility of Hitler winning worse.

Tags
rules