Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Other Munchkin Games

Old 12-10-2009, 09:14 PM   #1
EarthStone

Default MQ-2010: The Munchkin Quest Campaign

If Munchkin is a card game parody of RPGs, and Munchkin Quest is a board game version of a parody of RPGs, then the next logical step is to turn 'one-shot' adventures into an ongoing campaign where players can come back again and again, earning experience which they use to buff themselves up to even greater power at the start of the next adventure (and in turn lord it over those n00bs with no experience.)

Below is an event that I will be running at game stores in The Triangle area of North Carolina. Other MIBs are welcome to follow suit and do the same in their local areas if they'd like. Likewise those fans of MQ out there are welcome to organize something like this with your friends. But only those players who play in stores where I'm running the event will be eligible for the prizes listed below...

MQ 2010 - The Triangle Munchkin Quest Campaign

During the year 2010, play Munchkin Quest at MIB demos in the Triangle Area (watch the MIB Demo Events forum for details), keep track of what you accomplish in each game, and earn experience points that you can use to buff yourself during future games. Next December, there will be a Munchkin Quest Campaign Finals game where the players with the highest experience will get the chance to play for big prizes including $50 of your choice of Steve Jackson games! (That’s enough to buy a Munchkin Quest for your very own!) Ultimate Munchkin Bonus - Anyone who completes every single task will also get special prizes! These prizes are in addition to prizes usually given during demos nights.

Gain 1 Experience Points for each of the following:
  • Each Win
  • Playing all 4 classes plus being a Super Munchkin
  • Playing all 3 Races plus being a Half Breed
  • Playing games using each of the 6 colors
  • Playing all 6 GOALs
  • Killing 15 different monsters
  • Killing 30 different monsters
  • Killing 45 different monsters
  • Killing all 52 monsters
  • Killing monsters with 10 different enhancers
  • Killing monsters with all 18 different enhancers
  • Killing 5-6 monsters at one time
  • Killing 7 or more monsters at one time
  • Encountering 5 different traps
  • Encountering all 8 traps
  • Suffering 7 different curses
  • Suffering 14 different curses
  • Suffering all 19 curses
  • Playing 10 selected other cards (see campaign record sheet for list)
  • Playing all 17 selected other cards (see campaign record sheet for list)
  • Discovering 15 different rooms
  • Discovering 30 different rooms
  • Discovering 45 different rooms
  • Discovering 60 different rooms
  • Discovering all 67 different rooms
  • Bonus - Bring a friend to play MQ (who hasn’t attended a demo before) and get 1 XP!

To keep games fair between players new to the campaign and those who may have built up experience, players may only use 2 XP more than the next highest experienced player gets to play. Thus, in a game with a new player (0 XP), a casual player (3 XP) and a serious player (9 XP), the new player clearly has no XP to use during the game so the casual player gets to use only 2 XP and the serious player only gets to use 4 XP. Note - XP can be used in every MQ-2010 game once they're earned. They are not lost for good when used.

Use experience for the following:
  • 1 - Heal 2 health
  • 1 - Draw 1 Treasure or DXM card not in combat
  • 2 - Heal all health
  • 2 - Gain 1 move (one time)
  • 2 - Roll 1 extra die in combat or searching
  • 3 - Draw 1 Treasure or DXM card in combat
  • 3 - Reroll a die roll
  • 4 - Gain 1 health marker for the game
  • 5 - Go through the discards or deck to get the class OR race you want
  • 10 - Gain 1 level (can only be used if currently level 1 or 2)
EarthStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 11:55 PM   #2
pk2317

Default Re: MQ-2010: The Munchkin Quest Campaign

Since no one else has anything to say, I'll at least chime in that I think it's a pretty awesome idea, and I wish it was going on in the East Portland area :)

I'll pass this on to some friends in NC, they might be interested.
pk2317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 02:47 PM   #3
EarthStone

Glad you like it.

Even if there's no MIB running it in your area, you can still do it with your friends. Anyone who's interested can PM me with your email and I'll send the file with the record sheet so you can print it out for yourself and your friends. It's a single page printed both sides to check off everything you've done and track your XP. All you need is one set of Munchkin Quest and the expansion MQ2-Looking For Trouble to be able to play with 5 friends plus yourself.

Heck, if you're playing with the same group of friends all the time, you can ignore the 'use 2 XP more than the next highest XP' rule. I only added that to make things fair for new players showing up to events at game stores where I'll be running this. With your friends go ahead and rub their nose in the fact that you've got 10 XP to spend while they've only got 4.... But no whining if they're the ones with 10 XP and you're stuck with 4.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:14 PM   #4
EarthStone

Aaaannd the results are in! Tonight was the MQ2010 Finals game and Jon won! He beat out 3 other players in a hard fought, 3 hour game that for the first time included Portal Combat. I'd invited the top 6 players who earned the most XP through the year, only 4 showed up, but they were the top 4 players so competition was fierce.

For everyone who's asked over the year how the campaign was going, here's the results... Around 18 games got played involving 14 different players. Of those, 4 players were the most persistent playing in anywhere from 6 to 10 games each. Two players tried hard to accomplish everything on the list, but only managed to get about a dozen XP each by the end. Their last couple of games they went out of their way to not win and to instead do more exploring and killing. There just wasn't enough time or games played for them to fill out the whole list. In hindsight, I now realize that it's very difficult to do everything on the list. Especially killing 5+ monsters. They just don't group up often enough to make it reasonably possible. That plus the randomness of the tiles & monsters made it tough to check off the entire list. On the other hand, it was easy for even casual players to get a couple of XP in a game or two, so most folks who played a second game had XP to spend and didn't feel shut out.

Overall, the campaign was a lot of fun. Through the year, players looked forward to playing the next game of it at my demos and wound up talking other players in the store to join in games of MQ, just so they could rack up more points on their sheets. I lost track of the number of times folks played curses on themselves or enhanced their own monster just to get an extra checkmark on their lists.

To all the players who've asked if I'm going to run it again next year, Sorry. This was a one time event for me. But you're welcome to run your own at home with your friends.

...For me for 2011, I'm thinking of a Frag campaign...
Old 12-30-2010, 09:34 PM   #5
Blu

It sounds good. I may try to usurp it for us...with variations...lol...
Blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:38 PM   #6
Genpin

Thanks for your report, EarthStone... reading it was very inspiring
MIB #6311 - Buenos Aires, Argentina
Genpin is offline   Reply With Quote