Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Other Munchkin Games

Old 11-17-2008, 11:37 AM   #11
PK

Default Re: Too many cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by joker999
May I take a second to throw another question out there, anyone having problems with Monsters moving basically once then getting stuck in a room never to move again? or Never moving at all (I know part of this will be fixed with the expansion and being able to use all 6 arrows). Did I miss a part in the rules stating if there's no bloody arrows the monster just moves or something?
This question is confusing. Every single room has 4 arrows of different colors, out of a possible 6 colors total. That means that, barring walls or special doors, that a monster in a room has a 4/6 (or 2/3) chance of moving each turn.

Assuming a typical number of walls, locked doors, and hidden doors blocking its way, the realistic answer seems to me that a monster moves about half the time. Of course, some games have weird luck -- we had a game where the monster die came up red at least 2/3 of the time, I swear. But that's just luck....

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 11:53 PM   #12
Phazon Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan
Unless there's a bonus die added due to favorable conditions to a class or race, you would need a search bonus to get better than 6. The rules have a blanket rule that a d6 is the default die, and unless something says to roll something else, you always roll the d6 for an instruction that says "roll [a] die." Even still, a Loaded Die can only be used to improve one die, not the whole roll, and since there's no 11 side on a d6, your friend can't do what he did.
I actually had to call a game of MQ after 4.5 hours of straight playing.

It would have gone a lot faster had I applied that blanket rule.
Newbie MIB! MIB #4256!
Phazon Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 05:55 AM   #13
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazon Elite
I actually had to call a game of MQ after 4.5 hours of straight playing.

It would have gone a lot faster had I applied that blanket rule.
Just to make this clear for anyone who happens to stumble upon this:

The cards and rules are clear:
  • p4., lovely callout box called Dice:
    Quote:
    When the rules or cards just tell you to “roll a die,” or when a room, monster, etc., gives a bonus or penalty on die rolls, this only means the six-sider unless it specifies otherwise.
  • Loaded Die tells you to take one die and put it so the side up is the roll you want. It does not tell you to pick any old value that you want. This is the same for Munchkin since the *cough* printing. . .
  • Favorable icons indicate you get an extra die to roll. Unfavorable icons mean one less die to roll.

The first two are very hard to misinterpret. They might almost be bulletproof. The 3rd should be a good hint that seeing a 11+ on a search list does not mean that the d10 (which is not specified as the die to roll for a search) should be used, but that bonus dice plus search bonuses could get you beyond 6.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 06:34 AM   #14
Progmode

Quote:
  • Loaded Die tells you to take one die and put it so the side up is the roll you want. It does not tell you to pick any old value that you want. This is the same for Munchkin since the *cough* printing. . .
This one is especially important because Loaded/Reloaded Die can be used for any die roll. This includes the Monster Die which doesn't have numeric values, but does have sides to choose.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:43 AM   #15
Cheese8242

Quote:
Originally Posted by Progmode
This one is especially important because Loaded/Reloaded Die can be used for any die roll. This includes the Monster Die which doesn't have numeric values, but does have sides to choose.

Wow, I never thought to use Loaded/Reloaded die in that manner. The last game I played of MQ I had two Reloaded die and a Loaded die in my hand for most of the game. If I had thought about it like that things would have been a bit more interesting.
MIB #4282

The Most Impressive Loser in the MQ Gauntlet
Cheese8242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 06:45 AM   #16
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
That was exactly the thinking behind the card wording. And it can be really fun to play on the monster die just as someone thinks that he's going to get a DxM.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 07:03 AM   #17
joker999

Quote:
I've seen some monsters stay in a single room for a few turns due to the die roll.

However, I'm confused by your comment about using all 6 arrows once the expansion comes out. Currently all six colors are used on the room tiles, there just aren't Purple and Orange components for the players. So, if you roll Purple or Orange for the Monster Movement turn, some tiles do have those arrows. Don't just assume a room doesn't have those color arrows.
OK yea I should have asked that awhile ago it makes sense now. I re-read the rules real closely. Too many damn rules to some things, that makes things much better. Thanks
joker999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 07:22 AM   #18
Progmode

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed
That was exactly the thinking behind the card wording. And it can be really fun to play on the monster die just as someone thinks that he's going to get a DxM.
I like changing the Monster Die to match one of the Bane Rings if I have it or to not match someone else's Bane Ring color.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:23 AM   #19
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Not only is the card worded that way, but even the rules say it in that callout I didn't completely quote. :-)
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 08:45 AM   #20
ArcadianRefugee

Quote:
[*]Favorable icons indicate you get an extra die to roll. Unfavorable icons mean one less die to roll.
Is this the same for Searches? Ie., if a room (for whatever reason) has the +1 to Searches, is it +1 die, or simply +1 result?

I know the Green/Red icons (say, a green or red "Wizard" icon) means he gets a one extra -die- to search (and combat) rolls. But the magnifying lens with the "-2" (to Search Rolls) or the like, those *are* bonuses/penalties to the result, not the number of dice, right?

/just checking, in case I missed something