Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 07-01-2020, 02:09 PM   #11
b-dog

Default Re: Is there a way to have mental Hit Points with DF?

As far as old school goes I remember people on these boards talking about how they did not like the Tomb of Horrors because it was too much “save vs poison or die” type game. I remember that the poison rules in GURPS Dungeon Fantasy did damage instead of just a single roll to determine in your PC lived or died. So I don’t think Dungeon Fantasy is just like old school DnD. It has some improvements that make it more fun to play. A charm spell roll is really a save or die roll, if the PC makes the roll nothing happens but if he fails then he is out of play.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 01:05 AM   #12
tbone

Over the years I've seen a lot of praise for Call of Cthulhu's Sanity Points. And maybe that's a perfectly good mechanic for the genre. But whether or horror or fantasy or whatever, I've come to appreciate GURPS'/DFRPG's treatment of applying actual mental conditions (or not applying them, if the individual resists). "Sanity" isn't some actual quantity, and the loss of it has no particular meaning unless it yields some specific mental effects. I'm fine with GURPS dispensing with the "middle-man" stat, and getting right to applying those effects.

I'm on board Kromm's cautions, but if you do want to experiment with something like Mental HP . . . well, as I always say, it's just a game; hack at it! Start with Will as the pool, think of some appropriate affliction caused by a mental "Major Wound" (Stun? Fright Check?), then effects of having points reduced to less than 1/3 (big penalties on Will rolls and self-control rolls?), and down to 0 and lower . . .

If you come up with something that plays well, it'd be fun to hear about it.

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)

Last edited by tbone; 07-02-2020 at 07:33 AM. Reason: Nuked an apostrophe that should not have been there.
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 06:30 AM   #13
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post

I'm on board Kromm's cautions, but if you do want to experiment with something like Mental HP . . . well, as I always say, it's just a game; hack at it! Start with Will as the pool, think of some appropriate affliction caused by a mental "Major Wound" (Stun? Fright Check?), then effects of having points reduced to less than 1/3 (big penalties on Will rolls and self-control rolls?), and down to 0 and lower . . .
I hear that some hack even wrote a supplement that could help with that . . .
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 06:37 AM   #14
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post
Over the year's I've seen a lot of praise for Call of Cthulhu's Sanity Points. And maybe that's a perfectly good mechanic for the genre. But whether or horror or fantasy or whatever, I've come to appreciate GURPS'/DFRPG's treatment of applying actual mental conditions (or not applying them, if the individual resists). "Sanity" isn't some actual quantity, and the loss of it has no particular meaning unless it yields some specific mental effects. I'm fine with GURPS dispensing with the "middle-man" stat, and getting right to applying those effects.

If you come up with something that plays well, it'd be fun to hear about it.
This is fundamentally the thought process behind the design of Conditional Injury in Pyr 3/120
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 08:16 AM   #15
Refplace

Something like what your requesting was done in Pyramid #3/83 Alternate GURPS IV, Possessions Under Control.
But as Kromm pointed out its beyond the scope of this forum, so thats all I will post here.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 12:47 PM   #16
Black Leviathan

You're essentially talking about Fatigue Points. Fright Checks often reduce them due to the strain of fear trauma. Wear someone down enough and they'll fall unconscious. Effects that psychically drain your power take away FP. Exhaustion and strain eat away at this pool. It is recovered by rest and comfort or meditation.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 07:34 PM   #17
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
I hear that some hack even wrote a supplement that could help with that . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Something like what your requesting was done in Pyramid #3/83 Alternate GURPS IV, Possessions Under Control.
But as Kromm pointed out its beyond the scope of this forum, so thats all I will post here.
No one's gonna mention "Mad as Bones" from Pyramid: #3/103: Setbacks? That's my favorite rendition of mental HP/FP (called SP), and I know from experience that it hardly takes any work to add to it the Dungeon Fantasy RPG because it's short and self-contained.

You could treat charm-type or fear-type effects like the Side Effect (target makes a Will roll at -1 per 2 SP damage) or Symptom (effect happens after target has taken 2/3, 1/2, or 1/3 of their total SP from the attack) enhancement from GURPS. I've done the same there as well. I'm not a big fan of "save or suck" stuff, especially in RPG video games.
Raekai is offline   Reply With Quote