Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 02-12-2019, 10:47 PM   #1
evileeyore
Banned

Default [Services][Enchantments][Magic Items] New Church/Wizard Guild Services...

"Hey", says I, "how about listing out some of those nifty new in town services that you offer?"

"Peachy idea old chap!' I respond.

Seals: These are Holy items and thus only work in areas of Low or better Sanctity.

Enchantments: These are Magical, erm, 'items' and only work in areas of Low or better Mana.

Druidic: These items depend on Nature's Strength and thus only work where Nature's Strength is at a -3 or better.

Chi: Chi 'items' (usually Tattoos) are a powered by the bodies wholeness and the spiritual energy flow. They work anywhere, but require a Meditation roll (Concentration Maneuver) to activate.

Church* Services:

Purity - This is a paper and wax seal that is affixed mystically to the armor/clothing of the adventurer. While it remains it certifies the adventurer is free of all Afflictions (Physical and Supernatural). Furthermore, until the adventurer is Afflicted, the Seal gives them +1 on all resistance rolls to remain free of Afflictions. Should the adventurer become Afflicted while wearing it, the seal crumbles away and falls off. $200.

Prowess - This Seal helps the wearer to strike true at the enemies of the Church! The wearer gains +1 on all to hit rolls versus Enemies of the Church (generally creatures of Evil, Demon, Undead, Elder Thing). Should the wearer ever critically miss versus an Enemy of the Church, the critical turns into a regular miss and the Seal crumbles away into dust and falls off. $300.

Smiting - This Seal helps the wearer to hurt the enemies of the Church! The wearer gains +1 on all damage rolls versus Enemies of the Church (generally creatures of Evil, Demon, Undead, Elder Thing). Should the wearer ever roll all ones versus an Enemy of the Church, the roll becomes maximum damage and the Seal crumbles away into dust and falls off. $400.

Defense - This Seal wards off blows from Enemies of the Church! The wearer gains +1 on all defense rolls versus Enemies of the Church (generally creatures of Evil, Demon, Undead, Elder Thing). Should the wearer ever critically fail a defense versus an Enemy of the Church (or the Enemy critically hit), the failure turns into a success (the critical hit turns into a regular success) and the Seal crumbles away into dust and falls off. $300.

Bulwark - This Seal wards off damage from Enemies of the Church! The wearer gains +1 DR versus Enemies of the Church (generally creatures of Evil, Demon, Undead, Elder Thing). Should the wearer ever take damage that would cause them to fall below -1xHP from injury done by an Enemy of the Church, the injury is reduced to 0 and the Seal crumbles away into dust and falls off. $400.

Athleticism - This Seal bestows strength, adroitness, and health to the body! The wearer gains a +1 to all rolls of ST, DX, HT to perform activities such as Acrobatics, Breath Control, Climbing, Forced Entry, Hiking, Jumping, Lifting, Running, Swimming, etc (also rolls to avoid crippling, natural healing rolls, Death Checks, etc). Should the wearer ever suffer a critical failure while performing a physical feat, the critical failure becomes a success and the seal crumbles into dust and falls away. $300.

Observance - This seal bestows clearness to thought and sight! The wearer gains a +1 to all IQ, Perception, and Will rolls to judgements, memory, perception, resistance, etc (basically all non-Magical, non-Supernatural attribute or skill rolls, though this seal does aid with Chi, Holy, and Druidic skills as those are Esoteric). Should the wearer ever suffer a critical failure while performing a mental feat, the critical failure becomes a success and the seal crumbles into dust and falls away. $300.

Fate - This Seal bestows a single use of Luck or Serendipity upon the Character per delve. Should they ever suffer a critical failure or suffer a tragic happenstance (say fall prey to a trap that offers no avoidance rolls) or fail a death check, they are saved (the critical failure becomes a success, they avoid the trap, they succeed the death check) and the Seal crumbles to dust and falls away. $500.

* Not all Churches offer all Seals. For instance the God of Games might not have Seals of Observance or Prowess or Smiting, the God of Smiting Evil might not have Athleticism and Observance, etc. Some Churches may offer stronger Seals (+2 or +3) for vastly higher sums (x5 for a +2, x50 for a +3) or as quest rewards, or slightly different Seals in their central theme†.

† For instance the Church of Smiting Evil might have Seals of Ardor (to hit and damage) or Seals of Aegis (defense rolls and DR) at x3 prices.

Seals have DR 1, HP 5, and take damage on a 1 or 2 on a d6 if the location they are borne on is hit. They automatically take Large Area Injury hits if the location they are on takes a hit. If the paper of the Seal is saved after it falls away, it may be returned to the Church for 10% off their immediate purchase of a Seal of that type...

Wizard Guild Enchantments/Services

Tattoos work even if married (say by taking the skin taking a hit), but will be destroyed if the limb it is on is crippled. Tattoos will immediately lose power and fade away if the wearer dies. There may only be one tattoo per location (head/face, torso front, torso back, right arm, right leg, left arm, left leg). Tattoos only take a Concentrate Maneuver to activate, once activated the tattoo glows with power and disappears in a flash.

Tattoo of Power - This tattoo will fire to life should the wearer ever drop below 1 FP instantly, instilling the wearer with 5 FP! $300.

[Spell] Tattoo - This tattoo is charged with a spell! $500 times the energy cost of the spell.

Tattoo of Power Overwhelming - While worn this tattoo grants the wearer 1.5 times their normal FP limit (round up). It may be activated (and thus used up) to immediately refresh the wearer to full FP (regular limit). $20,000.

Stones work for anyone, they takes a Ready maneuver or Fast-Draw (Potion) roll to remove from delver’s webbing or a potion belt – or 1d seconds to find in a pouch – followed by another Concentrate maneuver to activate. Stones have DR 5 and HP 20.

[Spell] Stone - $500 times the energy cost of the Wizard/Bardic Spell.

Some Churches, Monasteries, and Druidic Circles also offer Tattoos and/or Spell Stones of a limited variety.

Last edited by evileeyore; 02-13-2019 at 01:28 PM.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 10:58 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: [Services][Enchantments][Magic Items] New Church/Wizard Guild Services...

Nice post and examples
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 01:45 AM   #3
evileeyore
Banned

Default Re: [Services][Enchantments][Magic Items] New Church/Wizard Guild Services...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Nice post and examples
Thanks! The Seals have been bangin around my game for a bit, they stack with Bless and have ended up being "a bit more lasting"... also because they are limited Players remember them more easily... it's pretty easy for the Knight to remember he has a +1 to hit and damage from Seals and then what can make that go away, rather than a +1 to everything that goes away with basically the first 'real' failed roll. I don;t know why, but it's a thing.

Also... I think the Player just loves the Warhammeresqueness of Seals hanging all about his armor...

Spell Stones and Spell Tattoos were just holdovers from older fantasy games that Players liked so much they demanded they make a come back.
Old 02-13-2019, 05:26 AM   #4
Dalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Tattoo of Power - This tattoo will fire to life should the wearer ever drop below 1 FP instantly, instilling the wearer with 5 FP!
I love all of this. How do you price the tattoo of power? If you had multiple ToPs, I assume you couldn’t chain them together like a big one-time ER? So you couldn’t get one tat of a pricy spell and six ToPs to give it 30 FP? Based on your wording, I think not, but trying to foresee questions.

Thanks for sharing!
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 06:34 AM   #5
Dalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
[Spell] Tattoo - This tattoo is charged with a spell! $500 times the energy cost of the spell.
. . .
[Spell] Stone - $500 times the energy cost of the Wizard/Bardic Spell.
Do these cast at effective skill 15, like a scroll? And they're charged like a charged scroll so the caster doesn't pay the FP? If so, then I assume the parameters (size, duration, etc.) must be set at inking time.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 02:16 PM   #6
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
I love all of this. How do you price the tattoo of power?
$300. Sorry, I edited above and added the cost back in.

Quote:
If you had multiple ToPs, I assume you couldn’t chain them together like a big one-time ER?
I've never had anyone wanted more than one... more than one Power Overwhelming (which I said "No" to), but never on this one...

I'd say, by the wording... yes, they'd all fire. However, you still have a maximum FP and these won't fill an ER pool. So you're limited to your own maximum FP (so if you have 15 FP, 3 Tats of Power would immediately refill it if you try to cast a 30 FP spell, thus fueling the spell and leaving you at 0 FP).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
Do these cast at effective skill 15, like a scroll?
Yes!

Quote:
And they're charged like a charged scroll so the caster doesn't pay the FP? If so, then I assume the parameters (size, duration, etc.) must be set at inking time.
That's how I've always run them. However I'm not adverse to them being powered by the wearer, but the parameters would still be set at inking time (it would just be less expensive... call it $200 per energy point), but that's also how I have scrolls work, all parameters are set at the time of the scroll's creation. So if you work scrolls differently, then Tats would also work differently for your game...

Spell Tattoos are effectively just very fast activating universal scrolls, that cannot be given away and are hard to lose.

Where Spell Stones are very fast activating universal charged scrolls that can be given away and lost.

In my games, only Wizard Guilds and Martial Artist Monasteries offer Tattoos and Spell Stones in the full range of Wizard/Bard spells, Churches and Druid Circles had some Spell 'Stones' (usually religious icons that held the spell) of limited types (Healing/Necromancy and Animal/Plant/Protection spells mostly). But that's just my game...
Old 02-13-2019, 08:07 PM   #7
tbone

This is fun stuff. Would have made a great Pyramid article. With that no longer an option, it'd be nice to see you post the goods on a web site somewhere for the gaming public to discover!

I'm now trying to think up some more special services, from monasteries and druid covens in particular...

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote