Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 04-02-2018, 03:58 PM   #21
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: Bring on Hall of Judgment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom H. View Post
I may also be in agreement with those who are wary of too much alteration from the source of the adventure for the following reasons.

Consider that your new Dragon Heresy game does well and that SJ Games and you agree to more crossover support into Dungeon Fantasy.

Furthermore, assuming that the world background in Dragon Heresy is rich and well received, it could serve as one version of a needed, crossover campaign setting for DFRPG.

In these cases, it may be important to stay faithful to the source material setting for backward compatibility with Hall of Judgement.

The main reason that I would have considered conforming to SJ Dungeon Fantasy RPG "background" is to reuse entities from Monsters, but it appears that you will already provide new ones of your own.

For example, in a recent demo of DFRPG that I ran, I ported my adventure from D&D that relied on Kobolds as the obligatory minions. For the port, I changed Kobolds to Goblin Kin so as to readily use the DFRPG statisitcs.

You appear to have no need for this constraint.
For what it's worth, it's in my interest to change only the barest minimum to convert the adventure to DFRPG. For example, I will be leaving Isfjall as Isfjall (Is = Ice; fjall = Mountain), not calling it "Town."

I will rename "Torengar" to Norðland or something like it, so that a GM can stick the location that will appear in the map more or less wherever they need, so long as it abuts a mountain range.

The Hall of Judgment is the Hall of Tyr with the barest serial numbers filed off, but as I say in the "other settings" box of the original adventure, reskinning it to your personal pantheon should be easy.

Monsters are going to be unique where they need to be, but if there are already goblins and they're of the right general level of threat, there's no need to reinvent. Fae have powers and abilities in my setting that make 'em a bit more true to original mythology than others (nearly all Fae can weave glamours, for example), so those abilities will be grafted on to any critters that don't have them.

Finally, I have a hankering to rework the map to be more suited to an actual month-long overland journey. I kept it abstract at GenCon, since that wasn't the point. For an adventure that will wind up transplanted into 10,000 other people's campaigns (OK, maybe 250? 500?), that Just Won't Do.

One thing I can say, and I hope you'll forgive the directness, is that this isn't an "evolving" project. I've asked for, and received, permission *for a specific thing.* I'm going to do that thing, and I'm going to do it to the best of my ability, and on or ahead of schedule. Because that's what I do. But I'm not writing a new thing, I'm converting what already exists. Where that lines up nicely (or system-less-ly) with Powered by GURPS, it will not be changed. Where it does not, it will be tweaked.

Last edited by DouglasCole; 04-02-2018 at 04:18 PM.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 04:06 PM   #22
b-dog

Ok I understand. I just get frustrated with GURPS always striving to be generic. Just because something has a specific name like Odin or Tyr does not mean the name can’t be changed. Plus being able to use real world maps is extremely useful especially in beer and pretzel style games. Vampire the Masquerade used real world locations and it was easy to set up adventures quickly without having to look over a bunch of maps that I have not seen before. Anyway, if there was a vote on whether to keep the adventure Nordic or change it to be generic I would vote keep it Nordic.

One question I have is why there are hobgoblins in the description. Wouldn’t trolls be more appropriate for a Nordic setting? Besides there are lesser trolls that are sort of like hobgoblins in the DF3 supplement.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 04:10 PM   #23
Rasputin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
Judging by Doug's comments, it sounds like he's disengaging it from specific locations and deities but keeping recognizably Scandinavian
Which is how I understood it too (i.e., getting rid of Loki but having a generic trickster god in his stead), but if it goes too far for some folks, nobody is making you buy the adventure. And even if you feel compelled to do so, there will be GURPS Technical Grappling in a page and 16 new monsters. That sounds like a good deal to me.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 04:22 PM   #24
b-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
Which is how I understood it too (i.e., getting rid of Loki but having a generic trickster god in his stead), but if it goes too far for some folks, nobody is making you buy the adventure. And even if you feel compelled to do so, there will be GURPS Technical Grappling in a page and 16 new monsters. That sounds like a good deal to me.
If Loki is changed to something like Glorp, how does that improve the adventure? And what if people don’t like the name Glorp they have to change the name to something else. Is it possible if the name Loki is used and somebody doesn’t like it then they could change it to something else? What is the advantage of not using the name Loki?
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 04:24 PM   #25
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog View Post
One question I have is why there are hobgoblins in the description. Wouldn’t trolls be more appropriate for a Nordic setting? Besides there are lesser trolls that are sort of like hobgoblins in the DF3 supplement.
Monsters that will appear in the book (because they're already in the parent Lost Hall of Tyr book):
  • Alger Ormur (Crushing Worm) (new monster)
  • Awakened Tree
  • Bandit
  • Brown Bear
  • Boar
  • Mountain Cat
  • Elk/Red Deer
  • Dire Wolf
  • Krabbari (new monster)
  • Goblin
  • Hob (new monster)
  • Hobgoblin
  • Hobgoblin Elder (might be new)
  • Hrogn (new monster)
  • Thurs (a kind of troll)(new)

but as I noted, these may be different than other things published. The information above can be gleaned from the preview pages of LHoT on DriveThru, so it's not giving anything away.
Old 04-02-2018, 04:53 PM   #26
Vilobion

Will there be any traps that will unfairly judge my character's bad fashion sense and choice of skills/advantages?
Old 04-02-2018, 04:57 PM   #27
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilobion View Post
Will there be any traps that will unfairly judge my character's bad fashion sense and choice of skills/advantages?
It is clearly justified to kill a character for an improperly tied cravat.
Old 04-02-2018, 04:58 PM   #28
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Say the word, Doug, and I can make this happen.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 05:00 PM   #29
Harald387

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog View Post
If Loki is changed to something like Glorp, how does that improve the adventure? And what if people don’t like the name Glorp they have to change the name to something else. Is it possible if the name Loki is used and somebody doesn’t like it then they could change it to something else? What is the advantage of not using the name Loki?
The point of 'Generic' is not to replace 'Loki' with 'Glorp'; it's to replace specific references to gods ("Loki", "Odin", "Tyr") with generic references that the GM can fill in, <i>or not</i>, as they please ("The God of Mischief", "God of Wisdom", "Lord of Justice"). Does the combination of the Norse-ish setting and the term "God of Wisdom" make you think "Odin"? Great, use Odin. If you already have an established game world, though, and your God of Wisdom is already established as Athena, this makes it easier to slot it in.
GP: How can that be?
M2: I don't know man, I didn't do it.
Harald387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 05:08 PM   #30
DouglasCole

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
It is clearly justified to kill a character for an improperly tied cravat.
I now have to go find the Viking rune for "improperly tied cravat."