Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 10-27-2017, 12:23 PM   #11
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Re: Some advice on how to play my martial artist more effectively?

Here's a by-the-book example of a weapons-based martial artist who ought to be able to contribute to her party's activities, especially melee combat and stealth, but also ranged combat and dealing with obstacles using athletics. The only liberties I took here were within the scope of the rules – namely, exercising the option to choose disadvantages (Adventurers, p. 56) for her Vow and exploiting the option to define armor/clothing (Adventurers, p. 109) for her ninja suit. All her bonuses (for gear, Mantis Strike, Weapon Bond, Weapon Master, etc.) are factored in.

Chiyome
247-point Human Martial Artist
Chiyome claims to be ninja: some sort of spy or assassin from the Mysterious East. Whatever her actual training, she is very skilled with the quarterstaff (which she calls bo) – especially the nicely crafted staff of hard, dark wood she brought from her homeland. She isn't bad with the staff sling, but when faced with a distant foe, she's more likely to knock aside incoming missiles with her staff and charge into melee combat at lightning speed. She eschews armor, preferring instead a magical suit which offers only modest protection but enhances her ability to sneak around (a favorite activity). Though she has an enviable array of specialized gear, she has few social connections in the West and little money beyond a weird tumbaga coin from back home.

ST 11 [10]; DX 16 [120]; IQ 10 [0]; HT 12 [20].
Damage 1d/2d-1; BL 24 lbs.; HP 11 [0]; Will 11 [5]; Per 10 [0]; FP 12 [0].
Basic Speed 7.00 [0]; Basic Move 8 [5]; Move 8.
Dodge 10; Parry 14 (Bo), 12 (Parry Missile Weapons), 11 (Judo, Karate); Block N/A.

Advantages
Chi Talent 2 [30]
Dragon Skin [5]
Mantis Strike [9]
Signature Gear (Bo) [1]
Signature Gear (Ninja Suit of the Master) [1]
Trained by a Master [30]
Weapon Bond (Bo) [1]
Weapon Master (Bo) [20]

Disadvantages and Quirks
Disciplines of Faith (Chi Rituals) [-10]
Sense of Duty (Adventuring Companions) [-5]
Social Stigma (Minority Group) [-10]
Vow (Never wear armor) [-15]
Wealth (Struggling) [-10]

Considers the bo superior to all other weapons. [-1]
Gives her profession as ninja; won't explain further. [-1]
Loves tiny gadgets and spends all her money on them. [-1]
Often forgets about her sling and either charges or hurls the ammo. [-1]
Sneaks all the time, even when unnecessary. [-1]

Skills
Acrobatics-15 [2]
Climbing-15 [1]
Gesture-10 [1]
Immovable Stance-17* [2]
Judo-16 [4]
Jumping-16 [1]
Karate-16 [4]
Light Walk-17* [2]
Meditation-10 [2]
Mental Strength-14* [2]
Parry Missile Weapons-17/18*† [2]
Power Blow-12* [2]
Push-17* [2]
Running-11 [1]
Sling-14 [1]
Staff-18/19† [8]
Stealth-16/17‡ [2]
Tactics-10 [4]
Throwing Art-17* [2]
* Includes +2 for Chi Talent.
† Use higher skill for starting bo (+1 for Weapon Bond).
‡ Use higher skill with Ninja Suit of the Master.
Equipment
$2,000, 23.92 lbs. (No encumbrance)
Bandoleer. Holds caltrops, lead bullets, nageteppo. $60, 1 lb.
Bo, Fine. 2d+5 cr (reach 1, 2) or 1d+4 cr (reach 1, 2). $30, 4 lbs.
Caltrops ×2. $10, 1 lb.
Canteen, Full. 1 quart water. $10, 3 lbs.
Coins. 1 tumbaga, 5 copper. $65, 0.12 lb.
Flash Nageteppo ×6. $240, 1.2 lbs.
Lead Bullets ×20. Damage becomes 2d+1 pi; Range 260/390. With Throwing Art: Range 37, 1d cr. $2, 1.2 lbs.
Ninja Suit of the Master: Clothing w. Fortify +1 (clerical), Dungeon Camouflage (+1 to Stealth vs. Vision), and Ninja Slippers (+1 to Stealth vs. Hearing). DR 1 (total DR 3). $1,340, 2.5 lbs.
Personal Basics. $5, 1 lb.
Pouches ×2. Hold special rations. $20, 0.4 lb.
Special Rations, 12 meals. $48, 6 lbs.
Staff Sling. 2d pi, Acc 1, Range 130/195, Shots 1(2), Bulk -6. $20, 2 lbs.
Tinted Goggles. +5 vs. flash/-5 to Vision. DR 1 (eyes). $150, 0.5 lb.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 12:46 PM   #12
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Be aware that my sample character is a fine example of "cheese":
  • I went to great extents to get high damage (thanks to Mantis Strike, Weapon Master, and a low-cost swung weapon) and respectable DR (via Dragon Skin and clothing with Fortify) without encumbrance.

• I exercised the option to define my outfit to protect a whole bundle of stuff (the ninja suit) with a single instance of Signature Gear.

• I got points for Vow (Never wear armor) [-15] and then worked around it with Dragon Skin and a Fortify enchantment on the ninja suit.

• I got points for Wealth (Struggling) [-10] and then used three quirk points for +$1,500 to get the gear needed for much of the rest of the cheese.

• Ramping up Stealth with gear and Light Walk is a little invasive of the thief's niche.

• There are a few places where things do double duty – namely, the Weapon Bond helping the bo with both Parry Missile Weapons and Staff skill, and the sling ammo also serving as a cheap thrown weapon for Throwing Art.

• Chucking flash nageteppo while wearing goggles that grant near immunity is intelligent but just a bit cheesy.
I don't apologize for any of it! This is exactly the kind of thing you have to do when faced with fellow gamers (or a GM) who question the usefulness of your choices. It's also a long and honorable tradition in hack 'n' slash gaming.
Old 10-27-2017, 01:25 PM   #13
zuljita

I dig it! Linked my players here for ideas.
Old 10-27-2017, 02:34 PM   #14
corwyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Be aware that my sample character is a fine example of "cheese":
  • I went to great extents to get high damage (thanks to Mantis Strike, Weapon Master, and a low-cost swung weapon) and respectable DR (via Dragon Skin and clothing with Fortify) without encumbrance.

• I exercised the option to define my outfit to protect a whole bundle of stuff (the ninja suit) with a single instance of Signature Gear.

• I got points for Vow (Never wear armor) [-15] and then worked around it with Dragon Skin and a Fortify enchantment on the ninja suit.

• I got points for Wealth (Struggling) [-10] and then used three quirk points for +$1,500 to get the gear needed for much of the rest of the cheese.

• Ramping up Stealth with gear and Light Walk is a little invasive of the thief's niche.

• There are a few places where things do double duty – namely, the Weapon Bond helping the bo with both Parry Missile Weapons and Staff skill, and the sling ammo also serving as a cheap thrown weapon for Throwing Art.

• Chucking flash nageteppo while wearing goggles that grant near immunity is intelligent but just a bit cheesy.
I don't apologize for any of it! This is exactly the kind of thing you have to do when faced with fellow gamers (or a GM) who question the usefulness of your choices. It's also a long and honorable tradition in hack 'n' slash gaming.
There ya go again, implying that if we're not munchkiny, you're not doing it right. :)

OTOH, my complaints about tone may come from a disconnect of your definition of cheesy/munchkiny if this character is a fine example of cheese.

You spent a lot! of points to increase damage and, surprise, you do good damage - a fraction more than a knight does, depending on DR, before he spends any of his 60 discretionary points, 12cr vs 8 cutting. At 2 DR they're doing about the same.

One combined piece of SG might be a bit questionable, but I've allowed it in far less cinematic games than DF.

Working around a disad by spending (less) points to mitigate (not ignore) it seems fine to me.

Struggling and points for cash is a bit dodgy since I think Wealth should effect that but it doesn't so, fine.

A Martial Artist can't help but step on the thief's stealth toes a bit - their minimum Light Walk is 17. Stealth 15. The Thief can get the same kind of benefit from gear (and frankly, is crazy if he doesn't).

Synergy and efficiency of gear is cheesy?

She counters the ill effects of an attack she originates with gear in exchange for -5 vision in combat (and when anticipating it) - I don't see that biting her in the butt on occasion.

So I don't see why you should apologize for anything on this character sheet. She would be just fine in my non-DF campaign, let alone my DF one.

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 02:44 PM   #15
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Oh, I'd allow this character without a second thought! But people totally new to gaming might wonder how cool all those things are . . . and the Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game is meant as an entry point into the hobby. So while we GURPS vets might see nothing amiss, I'd like to illustrate the extent to which judgment calls and strategic ability/gear selection are "just part of the game."
Old 10-27-2017, 03:04 PM   #16
MIB.6361

Location: Phoenix, Arizona, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Infinity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Be aware that my sample character is a fine example of "cheese"
While hoping not to inspire such high quality cheese, I'm adding this character to my pregen pool. Thank you
Old 10-27-2017, 03:48 PM   #17
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

(And if you want to go off-label and be even more cheesy, the GM might allow you to go whole hog on the "armed martial artist" shtick by trading Judo-16 [4] and Karate-16 [4] for, say, Enhanced Parry (Staff) [5], Brawling-16 [1], and Wrestling-16 [2]. That makes the already good bo parry especially sweet, and still keeps basic striking and grappling for emergencies.)
Old 10-27-2017, 04:43 PM   #18
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

I think that I would ask you if you would rather not be playing a nonja at that point, and just let you be the real deal...
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 05:11 PM   #19
Colarmel

I just made a similar character with nunchaku. Typical MA weapons are so wonderfully cheap that I have balanced dwarven nunchaku for $180.
Colarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 07:10 PM   #20
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post

I think that I would ask you if you would rather not be playing a nonja at that point, and just let you be the real deal...
In the DFRPG, "ninja" is just one possible way to interpret "martial artist."

Tags
character, martial artist, martial arts