Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 08-03-2014, 10:12 AM   #1
Woof Dah

Default How often can a Thief steal?

Speaking of thief abilities, can a thief attempt to steal an item from more than one player in a turn if they discard a card per attempt?
Woof Dah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 11:16 AM   #2
MunchkinMan

Default Re: How often can a Thief steal?

A Thief can steal as long as he has cards to discard (that means cards in the character's hand and from those he has in play, except for the Thief card) . A Thief is not limited to stealing only on his turn.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 11:38 AM   #3
Woof Dah

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
A Thief can steal as long as he has cards to discard (that means cards in the character's hand and from those he has in play, except for the Thief card) . A Thief is not limited to stealing only on his turn.
So let's say I'm a thief with 5 cards in my hand? I can use each card and attempt to steal 5 times, and even from the same player, all within the same turn?

Also, if I'm a Super Munchkin with only a Thief card in play (no other classes) then would I be immune from losing a level if I failed my steal attempt since the Super Munchkin status prevents any negative consequences from being a Thief to occur?
Old 08-03-2014, 12:11 PM   #4
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Dah View Post
So let's say I'm a thief with 5 cards in my hand? I can use each card and attempt to steal 5 times, and even from the same player, all within the same turn?
As long as your target has a small Item for you to steal, then, yes. As I said before, you can use cards you have in play (except Thief) to power a steal.

Quote:
Also, if I'm a Super Munchkin with only a Thief card in play (no other classes) then would I be immune from losing a level if I failed my steal attempt since the Super Munchkin status prevents any negative consequences from being a Thief to occur?
No. You have the benefit of being a Thief, which means you get to use the ability to steal. That doesn't mean that you're free of the costs or consequences from using the ability. A Super Thief doesn't get penalized in combat when being a Thief would be bad (this includes Monsters getting bonuses against a Thief), you aren't restricted from using Items that say not usable by a Thief, and Bad Stuff and Curses that affect a Thief wouldn't affect a Super Thief unless it says it would.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 05:07 AM   #5
Woof Dah

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
As long as your target has a small Item for you to steal, then, yes. As I said before, you can use cards you have in play (except Thief) to power a steal.

No. You have the benefit of being a Thief, which means you get to use the ability to steal. That doesn't mean that you're free of the costs or consequences from using the ability. A Super Thief doesn't get penalized in combat when being a Thief would be bad (this includes Monsters getting bonuses against a Thief), you aren't restricted from using Items that say not usable by a Thief, and Bad Stuff and Curses that affect a Thief wouldn't affect a Super Thief unless it says it would.
Thanks for clearing that up. I couldn't help but think that certain classes would be overpowered by the way my family and I were interpreting a "super-class" munchkin (thieves and Orcs, e.g.).
Old 09-02-2014, 03:19 PM   #6
ThePokergod

One more question - can a Thief steal during combat?

For example, if I am a Thief, and I am losing to a monster, can I steal a wearable item and equip it to help me win? Can I steal a one-shot item if it is in someone else's backpack (I know that's not the official term - I forget the correct wording) and use it?

If I'm a thief and someone else is in combat, can I steal an item from them - an armor piece, for example, so that they are losing to the monster?
ThePokergod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 04:02 PM   #7
Devin Lewis
Munchkin Associate Dev

No.

From the FAQ:

Q. Can a Thief steal something while he is in combat?
A. No. He's preoccupied.

Q. Can a Thief steal from someone else while THEY are in combat?
A. No. They're preoccupied.

Q. Can a Thief steal from someone while neither he nor his victim is in combat, but someone else is?
A. Yes.