Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 01:46 PM   #11
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Holy crap, really? On rolling dice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
I don't think that much thought was put into it.
Sure, I don't think it was deliberate. I just think it is a good after the fact explanation. I do occasionally get a bit of "If this is a simulation of munchkins playing D&D, why don't we roll dice for combat?" and that answer is both satisfactory and funny.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:23 AM   #12
October Daniels

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Sure, I don't think it was deliberate. I just think it is a good after the fact explanation. I do occasionally get a bit of "If this is a simulation of munchkins playing D&D, why don't we roll dice for combat?" and that answer is both satisfactory and funny.
I don't know. I really do swear that I read your explanation somewhere on some official Munchkin materials, as I didn't even know what "Munchkin" referred to until recently.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:05 AM   #13
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by October Daniels View Post
I don't know. I really do swear that I read your explanation somewhere on some official Munchkin materials, as I didn't even know what "Munchkin" referred to until recently.
I'm not sure to which materials you are referring, but I've been involved with the game for a very long time, and I've had a lot of opportunities to discuss the occasional oddity or decision with the designer(s), and that's never come up as a reason why a die roll isn't added to the combat strength. It may be an after-the-fact explanation that sounds good, and it may have been a justification that may have been made, but never expressed. Regardless of all that, we're straining the charter of the Munchkin 101 forum in all this discussion.

For the final time, just in case someone comes to the end of this thread and is still confused about what to do: In any Munchkin card game, there is no general rule which says you roll a die and add it to your combat strength before making the final determination during combat. There are cards that allow you to do this, but that is always a case of a card overriding the rules, which means you can't normally roll a die and add its result to your combat strength.
MiB #1029
Closed Thread

Tags
dice, die, munchkin, roll, rolling