Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2010, 12:52 AM   #21
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper
 
vicky_molokh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Kyv, Ukraine
Default Re: Cultural and Technological Consequences of Racial Daredevil trait

If 'Pacifist, but only wrt Elves' is okay for -20%, then so is 'Honest in own country and against own race, but usually elsewhere too' is okay too.
__________________
Vicky 'Molokh', GURPS FAQ and uFAQ Keeper
vicky_molokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 01:28 AM   #22
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants
 
sir_pudding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ventura CA
Default Re: Cultural and Technological Consequences of Racial Daredevil trait

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
If 'Pacifist, but only wrt Elves' is okay for -20%,.
It is? Source?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 07:41 AM   #23
Figleaf23
Banned
 
Figleaf23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Default Re: Cultural and Technological Consequences of Racial Daredevil trait

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
If 'Pacifist, but only wrt Elves' is okay for -20%, then so is 'Honest in own country and against own race, but usually elsewhere too' is okay too.
Shouldn't the pricing of traits such as this depend on where the adventures take place? e.g. It's hardly disadvantageous to be 'Honest at Home' if the adventure is all about participating in a far-flung quest.
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 07:47 AM   #24
Figleaf23
Banned
 
Figleaf23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Default Re: Cultural and Technological Consequences of Racial Daredevil trait

Regarding the OP, I think an interesting question would be whether a skewed relationship with personal risks would alter the race's perceptions (one way or another) toward systemic or environmental risks that the Daredevil bonus would not affect.
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:55 AM   #25
Jerron
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Detroit
Default Re: Cultural and Technological Consequences of Racial Daredevil trait

I would think, on the mental issue, that this race would be more likely to follow their own laws, no matter the locale. Which brings me to my other point, nice segway...

Their laws would not have the over-reliance on taking care of the populace like a moronic child. Warnings on cigarettes, lawsuits for baby cribs with widely-spaced bars, and a gamut of other things I consider totally annoying would not exist there. (Can I emigrate? :P ) Taking it a step further, I can see every vehicle driven regularly by these people to be modified. All of the safety overrides and governors and useless things like seat belts and airbags might be completely removed. The only reason things like seat belts would be used is for when the G-forces interfere with control, and keep you from sliding out of the seat. Craft, or other things, manufactured by this race would probably need extensive re-work after purchase, to install these things for 'normal' races to use. Can you see a motorcycle with no 'off' switch? (I mean, aside from something like a side-mounted one that you couldn't even use if it fell over.)

Further, depending on the laws, they could be, or have been, sued to paupers for this tendency when they started selling to other races. Or get a reputation for building extremely effective, but very dangerous, equipment, to such a point that no one (at least NPCs) without the daredevil mentality (not necessarily the advantage, just the outlook) would even touch their gear. "Back up air? It's a spaceship, not a hospital bed!"

Oh- and I'd certainly expect a much higher fecundity. The whole race just might do whoopee like rabbits, and families of 10 kids could be the norm, to offset the mortality rate.
Jerron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:14 AM   #26
Christopher R. Rice
 
Christopher R. Rice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Portsmouth, VA, USA
Default Re: Cultural and Technological Consequences of Racial Daredevil trait

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
It is? Source?
GURPS Space pg. 222 under the Pacifism heading. It lists "Own species only, -20%"

BUT, GURPS Psionic Campaigns lists Large Groups (like a nation or religion, or everyone you know personally) as -60%, and a Small Group (like close friends, adventuring companions, or teammates) as -80%. So I would say that a Entire Race would probably be -40% (in keeping with the progression) not -20%; so your Honesty (Race X only, -40%) would be [6*]. This of course assumes a fairly large spread race; if they were smaller (like your typical fantasy elf) I would reduce the limitation further using the above guidelines.

Just my two cents.

Ghostdancer
__________________
My Twitter
My w23 Stuff
My Blog

Latest GURPS Book: Monster Hunters Power Ups 1
Latest TFT Book: Crown of Eternity

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:33 AM   #27
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper
 
vicky_molokh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Kyv, Ukraine
Default Re: Cultural and Technological Consequences of Racial Daredevil trait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerron View Post
I would think, on the mental issue, that this race would be more likely to follow their own laws, no matter the locale. Which brings me to my other point, nice segway...

Their laws would not have the over-reliance on taking care of the populace like a moronic child. Warnings on cigarettes, lawsuits for baby cribs with widely-spaced bars, and a gamut of other things I consider totally annoying would not exist there. (Can I emigrate? :P ) Taking it a step further, I can see every vehicle driven regularly by these people to be modified. All of the safety overrides and governors and useless things like seat belts and airbags might be completely removed. The only reason things like seat belts would be used is for when the G-forces interfere with control, and keep you from sliding out of the seat. Craft, or other things, manufactured by this race would probably need extensive re-work after purchase, to install these things for 'normal' races to use. Can you see a motorcycle with no 'off' switch? (I mean, aside from something like a side-mounted one that you couldn't even use if it fell over.)

Further, depending on the laws, they could be, or have been, sued to paupers for this tendency when they started selling to other races. Or get a reputation for building extremely effective, but very dangerous, equipment, to such a point that no one (at least NPCs) without the daredevil mentality (not necessarily the advantage, just the outlook) would even touch their gear. "Back up air? It's a spaceship, not a hospital bed!"

Oh- and I'd certainly expect a much higher fecundity. The whole race just might do whoopee like rabbits, and families of 10 kids could be the norm, to offset the mortality rate.
Oh, they I'm leaning heavily into making them r-strategists in the reproduction area. Light, short pregnancy, fast childbirth, very short child-care phase, and then lots of kinds just hanging around in lots of places, hunting down vermin until they grow a couple feet tall and a half-dozen levels of IQ. Not sure about that though.

Either way, please remember that Daredevil is an Advantage granting bonuses in risky situations, and not a Compulsive Behavior. So it's not like they can't behave safe, it's just that they can afford to take more risks because they're protected from a lot of their negative consequences.

Additional disclaimer: I'm not dead-set on keeping all of the listed traits. The race is in the process of a major rehaul.
__________________
Vicky 'Molokh', GURPS FAQ and uFAQ Keeper
vicky_molokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 12:44 PM   #28
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants
 
sir_pudding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ventura CA
Default Re: Cultural and Technological Consequences of Racial Daredevil trait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerron View Post
I would think, on the mental issue, that this race would be more likely to follow their own laws, no matter the locale.
Unmodified Honesty works that way. These characters don't have to obey their own laws outside of its jurisdiction; that's the purpose of the limitation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
BUT, GURPS Psionic Campaigns lists Large Groups (like a nation or religion, or everyone you know personally) as -60%, and a Small Group (like close friends, adventuring companions, or teammates) as -80%. So I would say that a Entire Race would probably be -40% (in keeping with the progression) not -20%; so your Honesty (Race X only, -40%) would be [6*]. This of course assumes a fairly large spread race; if they were smaller (like your typical fantasy elf) I would reduce the limitation further using the above guidelines.
This makes considerably more sense, IMO.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 12:58 PM   #29
malloyd
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Default Re: Cultural and Technological Consequences of Racial Daredevil trait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerron View Post
Or get a reputation for building extremely effective, but very dangerous, equipment, to such a point that no one (at least NPCs) without the daredevil mentality (not necessarily the advantage, just the outlook) would even touch their gear. "Back up air? It's a spaceship, not a hospital bed!"
Though willing to take big risks isn't the same thing as deliberately takes worse risks than you have to. A species with Daredevil might simply be more rational about risk evaluation - they don't invest more in avoiding low probability risks than the probable cost. They probably will install safety gear where it doesn't actually matter much to the cost and functionality of the design. Backup air might not be on the priority features list, but if the final design has a bit of totally useless space somewhere, sticking a backup air bottle in it is a perfectly reasonable thing to do with it.
__________________
--
MA Lloyd
malloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 01:28 PM   #30
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper
 
vicky_molokh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Kyv, Ukraine
Default Re: Cultural and Technological Consequences of Racial Daredevil trait

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
This makes considerably more sense, IMO.
Actually, it conflicts with the way other traits work, while Space more-or-less matches the other traits. Compare:

Appearance is basically 4pts per 1 reaction. Appearance normally affects own race (or the major race of the setting). Making appearance Universal is +25%, resulting in a 5pts per 1 reaction. The species-limited version costs 80% of the Universal version.

Charisma which only affects humans costs 80% of the normal cost.

Telesend normally affects all sapients, but you can make it species-limited for -20%.

A Xenophiliac who has Lecherousness only against aliens has a -20% discount on the latter trait.

GURPS seems to consistently treat Aliens Only/Not Aliens Only as an equivalent to a -20% Acessibility.
__________________
Vicky 'Molokh', GURPS FAQ and uFAQ Keeper
vicky_molokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
daredevil, racial template, world building, world development

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.