Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 05-14-2012, 11:45 AM   #1
brdavis42

Default Ogre 6e... new units

First off, stock disclaimer; I'm brand new here, so when I ask a stupid already-many-times-answered question, just point me to the thread and I'll go away. That said... I've been browsing and haven't found this yet, so I thought I'd ask :).

Yes, I Kickstarted. Repeatedly. Stupid swag... but while I loved & played Ogre/GEV a lot in my youth, and have introduced my son to it, I never did the miniatures (cost), and haven't kept up on everything. So... some of the unit names being thrown around are confusing, and some of them (might?) end up in the KS 6e. For each of these, do we know if they will pop up in the new game, and, well... what the heck do they *do*?

- LADs?
- Drones?
- Vulcans?
- Ninjas?
- Engineers?
- Heavy weapons infantry?

Others I might have missed? From the SJG official sheets, or sponsor sheets we already have clues about? Thanks for any help that can be garnered... I have to find something to do until Novemberish :)

--
Brian Davis
brdavis42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:54 AM   #2
ladue

Default Re: Ogre 6e... new units

LADS are (iirc) Light artillery drones. They are basically a small artillery "package" that can be set up in few turns and fire automatically or under control if close enough to a command post.

Drones are sort of an import from Battlesuit. They are used by Vulcans to perform tasks.

Vulcans are engineering OGRES. They do fun stuff like repairing damaged Ogres, building revetments, reloading missiles, etc.

Ninjas are Stealth Ogres. Basically a missile rack equipped Mark III with super heavy electronics that make them harder to hit.

Engineers are powered infantry that can do some of the stuff a Vulcan can do, but slower.

Heavy Weapon infantry have limited shot missile launchers that give them an added punch.

Some or all of these were going to get some updating to make them fit better before they're released in the current products.
ladue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:59 AM   #3
HeartbreakRidge

Thanks to you both - I have not touched Ogre since the ziploc days, so I was wondering about the questions myself but was too lazy to ask them. :)
HeartbreakRidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:51 PM   #4
offsides

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladue View Post
LADS are (iirc) Light artillery drones. They are basically a small artillery "package" that can be set up in few turns and fire automatically or under control if close enough to a command post.

Drones are sort of an import from Battlesuit. They are used by Vulcans to perform tasks.

Vulcans are engineering OGRES. They do fun stuff like repairing damaged Ogres, building revetments, reloading missiles, etc.

Ninjas are Stealth Ogres. Basically a missile rack equipped Mark III with super heavy electronics that make them harder to hit.

Engineers are powered infantry that can do some of the stuff a Vulcan can do, but slower.

Heavy Weapon infantry have limited shot missile launchers that give them an added punch.

Some or all of these were going to get some updating to make them fit better before they're released in the current products.
IIRC, Vulcans, possibly drones, and HW INF are going to have online rules posted to go with the counters on the KS exclusive sheets (and I would expect them to be included in whatever supplement is released in 2013). Engineers, LADs, and other "things that require things that build" may be part of a future supplement, but are not on the table for the time being. No official word on the Ninja, but I suspect it's also on the excluded list.

The general (non-KS) Designer's Edition will not include any of the above as far as I know.
Joshua Megerman, SJGames MIB #5273 - Ogre AI Testing Division
offsides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:59 PM   #5
DavidK44

To get a better idea of what they are, you can see the miniatures that W23 sold:

Ogre Ninja:
http://www.warehouse23.com/item.html?id=SJG10-0108

Ogre Vulcan:
http://www.warehouse23.com/item.html?id=SJG10-0109

Ogre Vulcan Drone:
http://www.warehouse23.com/item.html?id=SJG10-0110
DavidK44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:18 PM   #6
jfleisher

Most of these are in the free Ogre Miniatures update as well...

http://e23.sjgames.com/item.html?id=SJG37-5002

My Ogre Miniatures Blog: http://ogreminiatures.blogspot.com
jfleisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:08 PM   #7
Toltrin

I'm surprised they didn't put in light howitzers and light mobile howitzers.
Toltrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:18 PM   #8
offsides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toltrin View Post
I'm surprised they didn't put in light howitzers and light mobile howitzers.
I suspect it has more to do with the fact that those were never (IIRC) official units than anything else. I think that SJ wanted to primarily put in only those things that were so thoroughly playtested that there weren't going to be any issues that came up when new players jumped in. Hopefully, things like LHWZ and LMHWZ will be part of a supplement, but for now I'm happy with the amount of stuff we're getting with the big box :)
Joshua Megerman, SJGames MIB #5273 - Ogre AI Testing Division
offsides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:54 PM   #9
DSumner

Quote:
Originally Posted by offsides View Post
I suspect it has more to do with the fact that those were never (IIRC) official units than anything else. I think that SJ wanted to primarily put in only those things that were so thoroughly playtested that there weren't going to be any issues that came up when new players jumped in. Hopefully, things like LHWZ and LMHWZ will be part of a supplement, but for now I'm happy with the amount of stuff we're getting with the big box :)
Light Howies are in Ogre Minis, the Light Mobile Howitzer, was a unit Henry Cobb worked up. I'd actually like to see both of them introduced to the board game at some point.

"Death is certain, life is not."

"No one assails me without punishment"
DSumner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 04:28 AM   #10
afschell

Quote:
Originally Posted by offsides View Post
IIRC, Vulcans, possibly drones, and HW INF are going to have online rules posted to go with the counters on the KS exclusive sheets (and I would expect them to be included in whatever supplement is released in 2013). Engineers, LADs, and other "things that require things that build" may be part of a future supplement, but are not on the table for the time being. No official word on the Ninja, but I suspect it's also on the excluded list.

The general (non-KS) Designer's Edition will not include any of the above as far as I know.
Engineer rules (and old school counters ftm) are part of the Battlefields ziploc expansion. I'm probably going to come up w/modified miniature (i.e. "house") rules for any of the interesting stuff that isn't part of 6e.
afschell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ogre 6e, special rules, vulcan