Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-03-2009, 02:58 PM   #11
ClayDowling

Default Re: Fantasy Setting for GURPS

Now I've got to go home and read Roma Arcana tonight.
Old 06-03-2009, 03:05 PM   #12
Cyratos

You ought to :)

Roma Arcana is about to be GMed by my friend, and damn I can't wait to play it :D
Cyratos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:13 PM   #13
trooper6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaevictis Asmadi View Post
I think the complaint is that there's no fantasy setting except Yrth, and if you don't like Yrth then you must write or adapt your own. If Harkwood is part of Yrth then it doesn't really change that. Roma Arcana is separate from Yrth, however people might dislike it for the same reason, that it is joined at the hip to the real world. Personally, I think Roma Arcana sounds fun, but I don't want to roleplay about real-world religious conflict, either.

$3 is still a good deal, though.
You can play Yrth and not roleplay real-world religious conflict quite easily. [Though I want to point out as an aside that since Yrth is not the real world...then any conflicts happening in it aren't real world conflicts.] You set the game in Caithness and you stay in Caithness, you can easily have no religious conflict at all. As GM you can say that Yrth is in a relatively religiously stable period where there is no open religious conflict. Everybody just wants to kill Orcs and Necromancers. Really, just because you are playing on Yrth doesn't mean you have to play a game of crusades and religious conflict.
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:29 PM   #14
David Johnston2

Quote:
Unless its set only during the Republic, there will be Christians, and all the conflict between them and the polytheists, each "side" persecuting each other whenever they got into power.
No. You could add them, but by default Roma Arcana is not a world where that particular Judaic heresy took off.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 03:42 PM   #15
combatmedic
Banned

I own Harkwood. I like it a lot. It's well written and has lots of room for exanded use. I'd likely use it for any Yrth campaign that I did run.

I'm not really sure what people mean when they complain ''GURPS doesn't have a fantasy setting other than Yrth.'' GURPS has many other fantasy settings: Mad Lands, and several worked examples of historical fantasy:Celtic Myth, Rome, Vikings, Robin Hood, Camelot, etc. It also has GURPS Myth, GURPS Goblins, Bunnies & Burrows,etc.

As for 3E-4E conversion...are people seriously complaining about that? Try converting between AD&D and D20...or 4E. GURPS has EXCELLENT back-compatibility. That's a major selling point of GURPS products, for this game buyer.
combatmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 04:54 PM   #16
Exeter

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper6 View Post
You can play Yrth and not roleplay real-world religious conflict quite easily.
What's wrong with just filing the serial numbers off the religions by renaming them? I mean, if there's a Pastafarian crusade against the Frisbeetarians of the south happening in your game, I don't think anybody could jump to the conclusion that they represent real world religions in any way, shape, or form. Similarly, you can change the names of the gods and people without compromising the setting.
Exeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 06:16 PM   #17
trooper6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exeter View Post
What's wrong with just filing the serial numbers off the religions by renaming them? I mean, if there's a Pastafarian crusade against the Frisbeetarians of the south happening in your game, I don't think anybody could jump to the conclusion that they represent real world religions in any way, shape, or form. Similarly, you can change the names of the gods and people without compromising the setting.
That is another valid way to deal with it.
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 06:28 PM   #18
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
I think the complaint is that there's no fantasy setting except Yrth,
Which is a silly complaint, given the existence of GURPS Fantasy II and GURPS Temple of the Lost Gods. (Okay, they're both for Third Edition, and Fantasy II has often been called "unplayable", but they do exist.)
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 06:41 PM   #19
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exeter View Post
What's wrong with just filing the serial numbers off the religions by renaming them? I mean, if there's a Pastafarian crusade against the Frisbeetarians of the south happening in your game, I don't think anybody could jump to the conclusion that they represent real world religions in any way, shape, or form.
The aversion to using real life modern religions tends to be a matter of familiarity breeding boredom rather than actually taking religious offense most of the time. Filing the serial numbers off and avoiding going into details doesn't make them more exotic and interesting.

I actually did a version of Yrth where Christianity did exist but it was called the "Old Faith", having fallen out of fashion in a world where pagan gods were objective realities who would in fact answer your prayers. Only a few people followed it and they were regarded as we regard Amish.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:15 PM   #20
Vaevictis Asmadi

Quote:
Originally Posted by combatmedic View Post
I'm not really sure what people mean when they complain ''GURPS doesn't have a fantasy setting other than Yrth.'' GURPS has many other fantasy settings: Mad Lands, and several worked examples of historical fantasy:Celtic Myth, Rome, Vikings, Robin Hood, Camelot, etc. It also has GURPS Myth, GURPS Goblins, Bunnies & Burrows,etc.
I've heard of most of those and think of them as myth rather than fantasy, except Goblins and Bunnies. The only two settings I know nothing about are Mad Lands and Myth (I assume this is the game-based book).

I wonder if people complain because they want a fantasy setting that isn't tied to the real world. All of the examples cited (except maybe Mad Lands and/or Myth?) are either set on Earth or are inhabited by real Earth peoples. I usually don't mind that, I've enjoyed many real-world fantasy settings and I love mythology itself. But perhaps people complain because they want fantasy that really is set on a completely different world. Or perhaps the complaint comes from people who just haven't heard of the others.

Last edited by Vaevictis Asmadi; 06-04-2009 at 08:23 PM.
Vaevictis Asmadi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy, setting, yrth