Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-30-2020, 01:46 PM   #1
oneofmanynameless

Default Late TL8 skills (almost) everyone has

I'm sure this has been extensively discussed in other places but I've tried a few searches and can't find it and am not sure what supplements to check.

What are skills that most people from developed nations in late TL 8 have? (assuming adult, high school graduate+, status 0+) Basically I'm trying to put together a comprehensive list of skills that if you don't have it would be considered a gap in your knowledge or skills base instead of having it being considered unusual or a special skill.

So far I've got:
Computer Operation
Driving (automobile)
Swimming
Bicycling?
Housekeeping
others?

but what about basic knowledges? Are there any?
Geography (political)?
Current Affairs (headline news)?
History (of some kind)?
Area Knowledge (locale where you grew up?)
any sort of hard sciences?
soft sciences?
Literature?
oneofmanynameless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 02:03 PM   #2
shadowjack

Default Re: Late TL8 skills (almost) everyone has

Kromm, in this post here (http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...97&postcount=4) recommends the basic list of:

• Area Knowledge of your home
• Computer Operation
• Current Affairs of some sort
• Housekeeping unless you're rich enough to have never done it yourself

Plus at least one of a range of personal interests: Carousing, Connoisseur, Games, Hobby Skill, Musical Instrument, Singing, Sports, etc.

Many people have Bicycling, Driving, or in some areas Boating… but many people also don't. Ditto Swimming.

Geography, Literature, and other scholarly / scientific skills are a bit more in-depth than I would expect of the average person.

(As for adventuring skills, there's this other Kromm post here: http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.php?p=369148)
shadowjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 02:20 PM   #3
Donny Brook

I think the Dabbler perk is a good way to model school education.

Each person might have an 8-skill version covering Biology, Physics, Chemistry, each type of Geography, human Physiology, History, and ?

Plus a 4-skill version with Math, Literature, Research and a subject they cared more about than others.

In addition to your list, Typing ("Keyboarding") and Savoir Faire might qualify as skills most people now have, and many will have some kind(s) of Games, Sports, Hobbies, Skating and Skiing.

My impression is that most people don't have Housekeeping, but rely on extra time and the +4 for routine activities.

First Aid, Erotic Art, Sex Appeal, Singing, Musical Instrument, Gardening, Administration, a sport version of an unarmed combat skill, Makeup, a Professional skill, Teaching and Writing would all be common, but certainly not universal. Any military veteran would have Soldier or some type of Crewman appropriate to his or her branch of service.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 02:47 PM   #4
Sorenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
I think the Dabbler perk is a good way to model school education.
For basic education I think it only gives appropriate defaults. Most normal people use it with positive TDM and takes extra time.
Dabbler might fit for a particularly dedicated student, and higher than average IQ and talent covers thoses that deals with some subjects better than others.
Sorenant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 03:40 PM   #5
Anthony

I would dispute the average person having computer operations -- just modern software has generous bonuses to your default.
Old 11-30-2020, 04:39 PM   #6
Sam Baughn

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and some other bits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
I would dispute the average person having computer operations -- just modern software has generous bonuses to your default.
I think there is a clear category of adults who aren't inherently incompetent but don't know how to operate a personal computer and struggle with smartphones. To me that strongly suggests there is a skill which most people have and they don't. Granted, most people aren't good at operating a personal computer, but 1 point and an IQ of 10 isn't going to get you very far with most things.
Same with driving, riding a bike, etc.

I am however confident that a big chunk of the adult population, possibly the majority, have no points whatsoever in the skills they were supposedly taught at school, like biology, and history. There doesn't seem to be any real difference between someone who is extraordinarily ignorant of those subjects and the average person. Mathematics might be the exception; I think average people know how decimal points work and what negative numbers are. That's more advanced than 'doesn't have Innumerate' which is basically just being able to count in your head and understand the four elementary operations.
Sam Baughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 04:46 PM   #7
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Baughn View Post
I am however confident that a big chunk of the adult population, possibly the majority, have no points whatsoever in the skills they were supposedly taught at school, like biology, and history. There doesn't seem to be any real difference between someone who is extraordinarily ignorant of those subjects and the average person. Mathematics might be the exception; I think average people know how decimal points work and what negative numbers are. That's more advanced than 'doesn't have Innumerate' which is basically just being able to count in your head and understand the four elementary operations.
Well, the average student, at least where I grew up, has some kind of Math class every single year from the time they start differentiating subjects at all, so that does make sense.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 07:55 PM   #8
khorboth

I would bet that most people are coming out of school with a point in Research. A lot of the previous generation have outdated skills in this. Basically everybody has had the opportunity to cyber-stalk or look up company information or check sources or...

I would also give most a point or four in Games(test-taking). This would cover things like knowing common tricks on multiple choice tests, understanding how scantrons work, when to take guesses and when to leave answers blank, how to manage time on timed tests, etc.

Probably a point in Savoir-Faire (Internet) is common. I mean, here we are you know what THIS IS! aNd ThIs ToO!
khorboth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 08:50 PM   #9
Tyneras

Most people likely have zero points in Computer Operation, but have worked off the familiarity penalties, which is probably where the difference between those who use it daily and those who struggle comes from. Having zero points in a skill, but also worked off all the familiarity penalties, is probably quite common.
Old 11-30-2020, 08:58 PM   #10
edk926

Swimming isn't really an everyman skill. Many people have no real places to go and swim particularly big city dwellers. Driving will more depend on location. It's extremely common in the US, but only a small portion of people can drive in China for example. Computer Operation is more likely among someone younger than someone older. I've at least played around on a computer most of my life, but my dad can barely turn on a computer.
edk926 is offline   Reply With Quote