Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 01-26-2017, 08:02 PM   #1
gusty737

Default In Nomine Cosmology (Multiple Planes of Creation)

So i'm planning on running a campaign where Heaven, Hell, Sheol, Gehenna, & Paradise are all separate planes of existence with their own native inhabitants. What kind of domain attributes would work for the planes other then heaven and hell?
gusty737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 09:28 PM   #2
William

Default Re: In Nomine Cosmology (Multiple Planes of Creation)

Tell us about them. What's the difference between Heaven and Paradise, and their inhabitants? Likewise for Hell, Sheol, and Gehenna? What do you want these new planes of existence to achieve in the game?
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 07:06 PM   #3
gusty737

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
Tell us about them. What's the difference between Heaven and Paradise, and their inhabitants? Likewise for Hell, Sheol, and Gehenna? What do you want these new planes of existence to achieve in the game?
I'm trying to base things under old testament afterlife cosmology. I'm trying to use the different realms to act as the basis of a mortals games that is more focused on ghosts then the undead or necromancy/sorcery.
1. Paradise is the realm of the righteous dead that have not gone to heaven (I.e. meet their destiny). I'm thinking of making it an afterlife for pagan dead whose faiths don't include reincarnation.
2. Sheol is the realm of the dead awaiting resurrection. I'm thinking of making this the "standard" realm for ghosts in the afterlife.
3. Gehenna is a realm where the dead are burned for there "sins". It's supposed to be inspired by the dumpsite where the Israelites burned there waste during the seige of Jerusalem and the folklore says that it was eventually split into hell (which is meant to be a less cruel version of Gehenna) and purgatory (which is realm meant to purify souls so the can depart Gehenna and enter Paradise)
Old 01-30-2017, 10:05 PM   #4
William

I like the idea of a mortals-focused game with a lot of necromancy and sorcery. Good luck with it!

I believe I get Paradise and Sheol. I'm still not clear on Gehenna. You say the folklore says it split, but what is the actual case? Where is an In Nomine demon from, Hell? What do they think of Gehenna? Who is from Gehenna? What do they think of Hell?
Old 01-31-2017, 04:04 PM   #5
gusty737

Quote:
I like the idea of a mortals-focused game with a lot of necromancy and sorcery. Good luck with it!

I believe I get Paradise and Sheol. I'm still not clear on Gehenna. You say the folklore says it split, but what is the actual case? Where is an In Nomine demon from, Hell? What do they think of Gehenna? Who is from Gehenna? What do they think of Hell?
From what I understand Gehenna is where the Fiery Image of Hell comes from, Purgatory is the fire that purifies souls entering paradise, and Hell is the punishment aspect of Gehenna without the fire aspect, but only for souls that chose to rebel against God (i.e. Demons). Gehenna is the only part of the afterlife that contains fire, but the Demons themselves are only located in Hell, since Gehenna's every-burning fire is supposed to be punishment enough for the Damned Souls located there.
Old 01-31-2017, 05:21 PM   #6
William

Okay, so Gehenna is what most monotheists in the Abrahamic tradition seem to think of as Hell -- eternal fire, full stop -- without demons to poke at the damned souls. But you said each of the planes had native inhabitants? Or were you just referring to the souls that have been condemned there?
Old 01-31-2017, 05:35 PM   #7
gusty737

Quote:
Okay, so Gehenna is what most monotheists in the Abrahamic tradition seem to think of as Hell -- eternal fire, full stop -- without demons to poke at the damned souls. But you said each of the planes had native inhabitants? Or were you just referring to the souls that have been condemned there?
Gehhena is supposed to contain a entity called Gehhena (name same as the place, i.e. Hades ruler of Hades, Hel ruler of Helheim, etc.) but i'm not sure what the entity should be since Gehhena isn't an actual Abrahamic demon but a different entity specific to the cosmology that fulfills the role of Warden of Gehhena.
Old 01-31-2017, 06:10 PM   #8
Flyndaran
Untagged

If God can be all/everywhere as well as an entity, why can't Gehenna? It is the place and the embodying spirit.

Last edited by Flyndaran; 01-31-2017 at 06:23 PM.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 07:24 PM   #9
gusty737

So Gehenna is Transcendental, Living, and Aspected towards Fire, but what other domain features would the plane of eternal fire have?
Paradise is supposed to be a peaceful garden filled with wild animals and plentiful food and water, so what aspects would that plane have?
As for Sheol, it's basically a "traditional" afterlife so i'm not sure if it would have aspects or not since Liber Umbrarum doesn't address what happens when a ghost "passes on".
Old 01-31-2017, 07:57 PM   #10
gusty737

I should probably clarify my comment on necromancy/sorcery. I meant that it is focused more on dealing with ghosts and spirits and less focused on dealing with demons and undead (vampires, mummies, etc.). Sorcery still exists but the skills are more focused on the ghostly side of things.

Tags
heretical, setting