Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-20-2016, 07:18 PM   #1
preteriteeggnog

Default New Ritual Path Magic Traditions

Ritual Path Magic can do anything. To me, this is boring. Instead of having one Magery advantage that does everything I'd prefer to have several distinct advantages that do different kinds of magic. This isn't to say that Ritual Path Magic is bad. I would just personally prefer to split Ritual Path Magic up a bit.

Ritual Path Magic mainly consists of 9 paths and 7 verbs. The paths are: Path of Body, Path of Chance, Path of Crossroads, Path of Energy, Path of Magic, Path of Matter, Path of Mind, Path of Spirit and Path of Undead. The 7 verbs are: Sense (2 points), Strengthen (3 points), Restore (4 points), Control (5 points), Destroy (5 points), Create (6 points) and Transform (8 points). To create distinct traditions I think I'd have to come up with new verbs and the nouns.

I've come up with Summoning. Summoning has the paths of: Goetia (Demons), Theurgy (Angels), Necromantia (Undead), Fairie (Fey) and Mundi (Animals.) And Summoning has the verbs of Sense (for 2 points), Summon (5 points), Command (5 points) and Banish (5 points).

I've also come up with Fairy Glamour. Fairy Glamour has the paths of: Phenomenon (physical sensation and perception), Mind and Magic. And Fairy Glamour has the verbs of Sense (2 points), Restore (4 points), Transform (8 points), Create (6 points), Control (5 points) and Destroy (5 points). Phenomenon is distinct from Mind in that to create a purely mental illusion a mage would have to use a Mind Control effect on everyone within sight of the illusion and fairies wouldn't have to do that or would be able to do so easier.

I thought I'd make a thread about coming up with new Ritual Path Magic Traditions. What kind of new Ritual Path Magic Traditions can you think up?
preteriteeggnog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 07:29 PM   #2
Qhaysh

Default Re: New Ritual Path Magic Traditions

The general idea is amazing and I love both examples you gave! The only thing I think you might want to consider is a limitation for all advantages, probably based on the article in the Rules of Magic Pyramid issue.
Qhaysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 07:35 PM   #3
Refplace

I have come up with several but most use the same form of Magery (RPM) and the difference is the Core skill. Each Tradition has its own teachings but most rely on the same underlying power (magic). There are of course exceptions.

Hekau based on Egyptian magic.
Vampiric Disciplines (this does uses its own form of magery).
Aetheric Disciplines (The Yang to the vampires Yin).
Archetype - Based on Archetypes, mostly Beasts. So you can have Path of Bear or Path of Beaver. Typically rather limited as most stick with one or two paths. I created this for my shapechangers.
Thaumaturgy (Never came up with a name I liked) where is Path is a representation and manipulation of one of the Laws of Magic. These guys are kinda snobs<g>.
Elven RPM Uses paths for natural, Mind and Artistic magic. Based on the idea that an immortal race would come up with a magic system that had Style.

there were others as well but over time I have changed and adapted to various other ideas and systems so nothing is the way it originally started.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 03:31 AM   #4
ajardoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Archetype - Based on Archetypes, mostly Beasts. So you can have Path of Bear or Path of Beaver. Typically rather limited as most stick with one or two paths. I created this for my shapechangers.
You could also do "Archetypes" magic in the same way as Jungian symbolism (Persona, The Shadow), or the Unknown Armies way (The Warrior, The Mother, The Demagogue, The Fool, The Matyr).
ajardoor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
homebrew