Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 08-26-2013, 02:06 PM   #101
Agemegos

Default Re: [OOC] The Starship 'Fritjof Nansen'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
She's an astronaut. I imagine her ova are on ice somewhere safe as cyrogenic houses.
The Imperial Council has political scientists on it, and others on its staff. It knows that, long term, on a significant fraction of planets, the Emperor's legitimacy will be significantly enhanced by being the rightful heir of Tom Eichberger and Admiral MacArthur. And right now that's Tomiko and any siblings she might have. Unfortunately the Senate would make hay out of the Council co-opting a spaceship engineer, and her handlers are probably afraid that she'd bridle if they tried it now. So it's softly-softly catchee monkey, but they want her children in the Regulus School.

Quote:
Yeah that makes sense, and is yet another thing for her to just very slightly resent (and to be a bit guilty that she resents it; slightly neurotic is our Tomiko, I think). Brett?
Devil's-Advocate Hat: She could get neurosis adjusted if she wanted.

Quote:
Also, what should she look like?
Japanese-German-American — where, naturally, "American" means 40% white, 25% Hispanic, 15% African, 10% Asian, and other.

After thirty generations of people caring less and less about intermarriage between this that and the other, she is probably descended from 70% of the population of the USA and Canada.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:13 PM   #102
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinl View Post
Does Lt-Cmdr. Tomiko Eichberger predate the Imperial Creche, Praetorians, and all the other "Benevolent Nazi Bioroid"[1] stuff that happens to later imperial descendents?
Unless sir_pudding wants to make her under about 35 she's too old for the Crèche, and the Paetorians aren't going yet.

Nod head. Get treat.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:25 PM   #103
Agemegos

Quote:
However, as an Eichberger she is high grade uncut assassinationip and kidnapperoin. A rule/tradition that she needs a bodyguard whenever anywhere near colonials is almost a given, innit?
Quite possibly not, as she is a starship engineer used to living and working in secure orbitals and spaceships and things. No-one needs a bodyguard who lives and works in IDJ. She's not high-profile, not personally important except to subtle manipulators like her grandmother and "Auntie" Akiko.

I was rather looking forward to the unhappiness at the big table if she got kidnapped or whatever while on planet leave.

Nod head. Get treat.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:31 PM   #104
martinl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos View Post
Quite possibly not, as she is a starship engineer used to living and working in secure orbitals and spaceships and things. No-one needs a bodyguard who lives and works in IDJ. She's not high-profile, not personally important except to subtle manipulators like her grandmother and "Auntie" Akiko.

I was rather looking forward to the unhappiness at the big table if she got kidnapped or whatever while on planet leave.
Maybe she can convince everyone that it's "safe enough" if nobody on the planet in question knows who she really is.
martinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:33 PM   #105
Adina

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Tomiko almost certainly knows him personally. They're both descendents of Mayflower survivors and both very close to the center of Foundation/Imperial policy. They've both been officers in the same Navy for their entire adult lives. Tomiko likes Capt. Lowell, I think. He at least remembers that her Great-grandfather was an engineer. As for contrast, she's certainly a bit shy and less generally socially ept.
I have no problem having Alastair and Tomiko know each other. However he's pushing retirement (or promotion), this is likely his last real command. So he's at least late 70's and maybe over 100. (I know Marines retire at 80 but I don't remember what the retirement age is for Navy 110?) So he's either her parents or grandparents generation, he could well be a long-time family friend.
Adina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:40 PM   #106
Adina

So are we going with assignment #2 then?

Quote:
Cast List Suggestion #2
  • jmurrell plays the Captain, the aide/agent, a quasi-rabbinical memeticist who doubles as morale officer, and a Very Young Marine named "'Bear' Karapyetchencko".
  • Luke Bunyip plays the First Lieutenant, the Counsellor, the Dean of Survey, and a marines commando to be specified.
  • martinl plays the astrogator, the Ambassador, a social dynamist, and a marines commando to be specified.
  • sir_pudding plays the Chief Engineer, the Press Secretary, the Military Intelligence Officer, and the Marines commando section leader.
Adina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:42 PM   #107
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurrell View Post
I have no problem having Alastair and Tomiko know each other. However he's pushing retirement (or promotion), this is likely his last real command. So he's at least late 70's and maybe over 100. (I know Marines retire at 80 but I don't remember what the retirement age is for Navy 110?)
110 years is correct.

Quote:
So he's either her parents or grandparents generation, he could well be a long-time family friend.
Could even be a family connection through the MacArthurs.

Nod head. Get treat.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:43 PM   #108
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurrell View Post
So are we going with assignment #2 then?
We are. The Hat roared, and martinl even enjoyed it.

Nod head. Get treat.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:50 PM   #109
Agemegos

Quote:
Maybe she can convince everyone that it's "safe enough" if nobody on the planet in question knows who she really is.
Bodyguards probably aren't even an Imperial custom yet. America didn't go in for them until after Lincoln, and Australia didn't have them until so recently that it would surprise you. I've stood in line to be served in a food court behind the equivalent of a state governor in the US who was getting her own lunch. In 1988 Prince Charles was attacked at an open-air awards ceremony in Sydney, and his attacker was jumped and wrestled to the ground by the award recipient and the premier of New South Wales.

Nod head. Get treat.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:52 PM   #110
martinl

Quote:
We are. The Hat roared, and martinl even enjoyed it.
I feel vaguely violated, and I can't quite put my finger on why.
martinl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flat black, planetary romance, sci-fi, space opera, ultra-tech