Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 06-10-2008, 03:49 PM   #1
Xuenay

Default Cheat! card disagreement (Space Munchkin)

We had a disagreement about how the Cheat! card could be used, and agreed to defer to the judgment of the almighty forums.

My friend was in combat, and he was about to win the battle if we didn't do anything. I had the Cheat! card, as well as the Foof Gun. The Foof Gun says that if I use it to win, no levels are gained from the monster. My argument was that the Cheat! card very explictly says: "You may have and use any one item that would otherwise be against the rules". So therefore I obviously can use the card in the battle, despite the fact that he didn't ask me for help. After all, it says that I can use any one item, even if it was against the rules. He disagreed, saying that I could only use Cheat! to place an item on the table and use it. I disagreed, considering this an excessively narrow, unimaginative and unmunchkiny use of the card.

So, what do the folks around here say?
Xuenay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 04:06 PM   #2
Progmode

Default Re: Cheat! card disagreement (Space Munchkin)

This has been discussed to death. The short answer is: You are wrong.

The long answer is: Search the forums and read the FAQ and you'll find out why you are wrong.
Old 06-10-2008, 04:22 PM   #3
Xuenay

Fair enough. Thanks.

EDIT: I did scan through the FAQ, but I don't think I saw it listed there.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:50 PM   #4
bonetm

The Cheat! card only cancels limitations to items regarding hands, feet, head, armor, race, class, Big itens, etc. It does not allow you to bend the rules to whatever you think is better. Its only use is: Can you NOT use an item because you are not a specifc Race or Class? Or can you NOT use it because you don't have enough hands (or feet, or head, or armor)? Now, you do!
MiB: #1602
bonetm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 06:24 PM   #5
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xuenay
We had a disagreement about how the Cheat! card could be used, and agreed to defer to the judgment of the almighty forums.

My friend was in combat, and he was about to win the battle if we didn't do anything. I had the Cheat! card, as well as the Foof Gun. The Foof Gun says that if I use it to win, no levels are gained from the monster. My argument was that the Cheat! card very explictly says: "You may have and use any one item that would otherwise be against the rules". So therefore I obviously can use the card in the battle, despite the fact that he didn't ask me for help. After all, it says that I can use any one item, even if it was against the rules. He disagreed, saying that I could only use Cheat! to place an item on the table and use it. I disagreed, considering this an excessively narrow, unimaginative and unmunchkiny use of the card.

So, what do the folks around here say?
Wow. That has to be the longest stretch I've seen in years.

What follows are the two FAQ entries for the Cheat! card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAQ
Q. If you have the Cheat card on one item, can you move it to another one?
A. No. Once you perform the initial cheat, the card cannot be moved to another item. So if something happens to make the Cheated item legal for you . . . too bad. You can't transfer your Cheat to something else.

Q. Can I use the Cheat card to take an item from another player, or use it to search through the discard pile to take an item from it?
A. No and no. . . The Cheat card allows you to carry (i.e., have in play) and use an item you normally couldn't due to class/race/slot restrictions. In other words, a second piece of Headgear, a second Big item (for non-Dwarves), a item that requires a Hand or two when your other two are full, or the Bow With Ribbons for non-Elves. You have to get the Item some legal way, not by using the Cheat card to take it.
You'll note that explains what the Cheat card does, even though the question doesn't actually match yours. Remember, just because your particular question hasn't been asked doesn't mean that there isn't something similar that actually answers your question. And, since no one's actually asked your particular incarnation of the question, I wouldn't actually call it Frequently asked in this case. But, I hope the FAQ info there helps! :-)
MiB #1029

Last edited by MunchkinMan; 06-10-2008 at 06:41 PM.
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 02:06 AM   #6
Xuenay

Ah, yeah. Should've read the FAQ more carefully - I just read the beginning of the entries, decided they didn't apply, and moved on. Alright, thanks.