Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 05-27-2011, 07:39 AM   #1
Kenny

Default [IC] MNSS Victoria

‘All hands to battle stations. All hands to battle stations, this is not a drill. I repeat this is not a drill.’

After attending your battle stations for 25 minutes you get called to the bridge briefing room.

‘Thank you, misters, for coming. Just before we were about to jump into the hyperspace web our sensors picked up a C-I-V crossing across the primary gas giant in the system. I will now pass over to our chief technical officer.’ The captain said.

The slightly dishevelled CTO stood up, ‘as the Cap said we’ve spotted a Charlie-Four class AI ship. We did not notice it on our active or passive scanners. If the Charlie-Four had not been in the orbit it was we would have jumped without noticing it. There is only one faint powersource on the ship, we expect to see more but they are not there. We want you to board the ship and find out the situation on the ship.
‘Questions?’

[OOC = describe your characters and ask any questions you might have]
Kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 11:20 AM   #2
Totem

Default Re: [IC] MNSS Victoria

Toby's battle station is the far side of his slightly cramped office down by the server stack and next door to the secured communications system. Given that he's manning systems that rely on sensors, he's aware of the Droneship and its lack of activity. By the time that he gets called to the briefing room he's drawn a few conclusions about what the Droneship's actions are likely to mean:

[OOC: any useful intel based on the following rolls? Like, has this happened before, is it normal activity, is it likely to be a trap, etc]
[Psychology (AI Droneships) skill 14: 1+3+4 = 8, success by 6]
[Intelligence Analysis skill 14: rules say that GM rolls for this]

[Questions:]

Toby sits back in his seat and considers carefully. He's still in his uniform, which he's wearing neatly, with an air that suggests that he likes wearing it neat rather than because he's being officious. He's kept his hair short, harkening back to his days working on the Damocles satellites, which they had never bothered to install gravity on since they were never meant to be manned. His eyes are a slightly silvery shade that catches the light unnaturally brightly. His skin is only lightly tanned, almost pale, from the limited time he gets out in the sun, but it is a curiously even shade, another sign of his engineered heritage.

His accent is a bit provincial still, despite years working with the better connected colonies, making him stand out a bit to those unused to it.

"Do I get a chance to access it remotely? If there's any kind of active systems then I could probably get into it and access its memory. It'll be safer doing that at this range than going in close."

[OOC: there will be further questions, based on his deductions from the rolls that he made whilst at battle stations.]

[Edit: if appropriate I'd like to throw in an Astromony-13 or Cartography-14 roll regarding our current location: how far is it from the Cluster, known Droneship territory based on previous intelligence, etc. This would be stuff that Toby comes to the meeting knowing already.]

Last edited by Totem; 05-27-2011 at 11:46 AM.
Totem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:49 PM   #3
Hannes665

Engineering Cadet Pershing stands to the back, listing to the senior staff.

Pershing stands 5´10, dark brown short hair, brown eyes, pale skin. Average build and appearance. He is dressed in his white protective suit over his jumpsuit with a pistol belt holding his issued 4mm gauss pistol.

Darth Vader "Luke! I am your fathers second cousins sisters best friends brother!"

Luke Skywalker "Nooo... eehh What?!"
Hannes665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 02:06 PM   #4
Langy

Lieutenant J.G. Arkades Klesani was at his station on the bridge when the call for Battle Stations was announced, his body in the Interface chair in the front and center of the room. He was leaning back, looking almost as if he were sleeping, his face peaceful.

Inside his mind, Arkades could feel the entire ship as if it were his own body. He could see everything the ship could see, he could control any aspect of it as if it were a part of himself. The ship's weapons were his arms, the engines were his legs, the sensors were his eyes, and the communications array was his mouth and ears. Arkades was busy calculating the next hyperspace jump through the interface - a process almost impossible to describe to those who have not experienced it themselves - when something tugged at his attention. It was akin to feeling a flash of pain from touching a stove that's just slightly too hot - annoying, yes, but attention getting for sure, yet something you could ignore if you actively chose to do so.

Arkades focused upon the source of his annoyance, the sensors of the ship turning directly towards it, probing. It took mere moments for the sensors to realize what they were seeing, and a schematic popped up in Arkades' mind - the known details of this specific model of AI Droneship. Arkades brought his attention down to the bridge - not through his own eyes, but through the security cameras that littered the vessel - and noticed that the automated alarms at any detection of an AI Droneship were working adequately and the officer of the watch was already announcing battle stations. Arkades began plotting courses for intercept, attack vectors, and targeting solutions while he awaited orders from his captain.

---

Twenty-five minutes later, a narrow three-inch needle slowly receded from the port in the back of Arkades' head as he disengaged from the Interface. It was always disconcerting, going from a ten-thousand-ton juggernaut with a reach of thousands of kilometers to a hundred-and-fifty-pound human whose only visual enhancement was provided by a HUD and some nightshades. Whenever he left the Interface, Arkades felt disconnected from the world, as if nothing were quite real - it was one of the few side-effects of the new interface technology and the primary barrier (aside from cost) of rolling it out Union-wide.

With the needle fully extracted, Arkades sat up in the no-longer-reclining Interface chair. With an almost dazed expression, he reached into his uniform pocket and extracted a small circular disc with a spike coming out one end - his Cap, made to cover and protect the neural jack at the back of his head. His personal Cap included a full-blown radio communicator with a range of over two miles - the bandwidth wasn't enough for a proper Interface, but he could at least access other computers on the ship's wireless network or contact people via 'telepathy'. Arkades inserted the Cap, stood up, and walked into the briefing room behind the CTO.

Arkades took his seat at the table while the others to the briefing. Lt. Arkades is a middle-height, lean man, with dark, short-cropped hair. His most distinctive features are the neural interface port on the base of his skull, currently covered by the metal Cap and the faint trace of circuitry that can be seen behind his eyes, giving them a distinctive gold-and-silver color. He wears his personal e-mag pistol in its holster at his side, and a pair of heavy nightshades lie in one of his uniform pockets.

He already knew what was happening, and he took the opportunity to get a bit of work done. His eyes almost glazed over as he sat there, not truly listening but recording what was said for immediate playback should it be required.

When the Engineering Officer finishes speaking and is answered, Arkades chimes in. "A shuttle is being prepped as we speak, and I have a preliminary rendevous course set for the Droneship. I'm afraid I don't know much about a Droneship's interior - what interior defenses are we likely to run into, if any?"

[OOC: Do we have any set chain-of-command for away missions? Most characters are all Rank 2, I believe, except the Marine Corporal (Rank 1) and civilian Hojo Black (no Rank).

Also: What are the shuttles equipped with? Do they have any weapons? Might be best just to give them some Spaceships stats, like you did with the Victoria.]

Last edited by Langy; 05-27-2011 at 02:22 PM.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 08:17 PM   #5
ErhnamDJ

Hojo walks up to the briefing room. He's not very tall, standing only 5'7". He has black hair pulled back into a little ponytail, with only a nub sticking out at the back. He wears armored goggles that adjust to the light level, always obscuring his eyes. His skin is a dark yellow, almost brown. He's rail thin, probably from his diet. He only eats meat. But in spite of it, he's quite muscled.

His entire person seems to be designed around carrying his sword. His jacket has a special slit on the left side, so the sword sits comfortably through his belt. His hands are both covered in callouses from training with his sword. And he even has a special sort of way of walking, to keep the sword out of his way when he moves.

"Captain," he says as he steps inside. He pulls out his sword--still in its scabbard--and leans it against the table, then takes a seat.

"Is this a salvage mission?" he asks. "There's a few items we're running low on." He accesses the list onto his goggles, then starts to read it off. "Fuel rods for the shuttles...."
ErhnamDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 02:52 AM   #6
Kenny

Ref: Toby

[OOC = Usually AI ships travel in groups of three to five. Never has a Charlie Class (The AI carriers) been seen alone.]
[OOC = You are 88 days from leaving the cluster in an area of space not known to be linked to the cluster previously.]

'The Charlie-Four,' the Chief Technical Officer said, 'is too far inside the gravity drive limit for this ship. We have tried to get a signal to the ship but the Charlie-Four looks dead. You need to get closer to see if you can find what caused the Charlie-Four to end up in this state.'

Last edited by Kenny; 05-28-2011 at 03:05 AM.
Old 05-28-2011, 03:01 AM   #7
Kenny

Ref: Arkades

[OOC = Chain of command will be worked out later. I was thinking about Chinese Parliment]
[OOC = I will stat out a shuttle, but it will not be armed.]

'Ah, Arkades,' the captain interrupted the CTO, 'we do not fully know what the CIV is like inside. We have only ever captured two AI droneships. One was a fighter, and the other was capital droneship. We are guessing there will be few round pathways in the ship but the layout and defences we do not know. But we do not think there will be any defences, the ships usually self-destruct if in danger.
'But we do not think this will be case here. Also it is a risk that is important to take.'

Last edited by Kenny; 05-28-2011 at 03:05 AM.
Old 05-28-2011, 03:05 AM   #8
Kenny

Ref: Hojo

The captain turned to Hojo, 'what do you mean we are short of supplies. I thought we had two hundred tons of supplies for the shuttles and fighters. You said that everything was okay before we left. Is there a danger to the ship? I want you to do a full stock take when you get back. I want the results soon!'

The captain sat down trying to calm himself down by breathing techniques.
Old 05-28-2011, 03:21 AM   #9
ErhnamDJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
The captain turned to Hojo, 'what do you mean we are short of supplies. I thought we had two hundred tons of supplies for the shuttles and fighters. You said that everything was okay before we left. Is there a danger to the ship? I want you to do a full stock take when you get back. I want the results soon!'

The captain sat down trying to calm himself down by breathing techniques.
Hojo raises his goggles. "Captain, I can reasonably expect to live another eighty years at the least. Were the need to arise, we could only operate all of the shuttles at full capacity without recharging their fuel rods--which could conceivably be made impossible, if the Victoria's reactor were damaged--for thirty-four years. I think it's obvious why we should try to acquire more fuel rods for the shuttles." He lowers the goggles. "Moving on... we only have a twelve year supply of chocolate flavor packs for the #3 ice cream machine..."

OOC: Wisecracking [-1]

Last edited by ErhnamDJ; 05-28-2011 at 03:24 AM.
ErhnamDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 07:17 PM   #10
Skullcrusher

Corporal Jacob Kane walks into the briefing room. He is a tall man with a crew cut and various scars on his face. He looks like he has seen his share of battles. He stands quietly listening to the captain and the CTO. When the CTO asks for questions he speaks up. "Sir will it be just Marines boarding or are we bringing Civies and Squints with us?"

OOC: Got sometime away so was able to post. If it wasn't obvious Civies are civillians and Squints are technical people.

Randal Kane - Trent Bauer
Skullcrusher is offline   Reply With Quote