Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-09-2018, 05:22 AM   #1
Phantasm

Default [UT/LT/LTC2] Making an Adjustable Length "Memory Metal" Sword?

One of my NPCs is going to use a wholly unrealistic sword that can extend from a swortsword through greatsword lengths (with "broadsword", "bastard sword", and "longsword" lengths as MA and LT defines them in between). Because my players may want to get their hands on similar weapons, possibly through the alien diplomat gadgeteer's robo/nanofac (I forget which he has, as no access to his sheet atm), I'm wondering how one would price this option.

I figure that adjusting the length would require a Ready maneuver, with a Fast-Draw (Sword or Two-Handed Sword) being useful to make the adjustment a free action.

Visually, think Gamora's sword from the Guardians of the Galaxy movies, which is able to extend from hilt to longsword with ease, though in this particular case there's more than one possible length when extended.

(This particular weapon is also going to have Superfine and Vibroblade options, but those are of secondary pricing considerations.)

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting

Last edited by Phantasm; 07-09-2018 at 05:34 AM.
Phantasm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 06:17 AM   #2
malloyd

Default Re: [UT/LT/LTC2] Making an Adjustable Length "Memory Metal" Sword?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
One of my NPCs is going to use a wholly unrealistic sword that can extend from a swortsword through greatsword lengths (with "broadsword", "bastard sword", and "longsword" lengths as MA and LT defines them in between). Because my players may want to get their hands on similar weapons, possibly through the alien diplomat gadgeteer's robo/nanofac (I forget which he has, as no access to his sheet atm), I'm wondering how one would price this option.
Based on Universal Tools, it's around $6000/lb. And TL12, so if the campaign world isn't TL12, it's either inflated by whatever it costs to order and ship stuff from a TL12 civilization or effectively a unique artifact and "priceless".

Note that if there is enough material there for a greatsword, it's going to be a rather chunky and unwieldy shortsword, maybe enough to be worth thinking about skill penalties.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:08 AM   #3
Extrarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
[...]Note that if there is enough material there for a greatsword, it's going to be a rather chunky and unwieldy shortsword, maybe enough to be worth thinking about skill penalties.
On the other hand, it might be that the greatsword ends up less dense than normal and the shortsword more dense than normal, such that all forms take some skill penalty (except perhaps {one of} the middle-sized form{s}).
Extrarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 09:21 AM   #4
Devin Lewis
Munchkin Associate Dev

Perhaps the excess is stored in the scabbard. Say it's a longsword-length scabbard, and when you draw it, you choose the length. Shortsword leaves a lot of scabbard, greatsword just takes it all?

That would mean that changing it on the fly would require either resheathing, or time for the material to flow from the scabbard to the sword.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:58 AM   #5
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin Lewis View Post
Perhaps the excess is stored in the scabbard. Say it's a longsword-length scabbard, and when you draw it, you choose the length. Shortsword leaves a lot of scabbard, greatsword just takes it all?

That would mean that changing it on the fly would require either resheathing, or time for the material to flow from the scabbard to the sword.
I like that, seems workable with only moderately cinematic nanotech. Think of it as a kind of nanofac - the machinery is in the scabbard, and it builds you a new sword every time you draw it.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:22 AM   #6
Phantasm

Extradimensional mass shunting to a sidereal dimension where mass is virtual rather than absolute is a setting feature, so the extra greatsword mass would probably be stored there when it's in one of the shorter forms. I know, I know ... comic book "physics" at its most blatant.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 04:01 PM   #7
Pursuivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin Lewis View Post
Or the sword has a consistent mass, but it gets redistributed based on length. The shortsword is a bit overweight and has rather heavy handle and big quillons (perhaps making it a bit like a sai?), the broadsword version is normal, and the greatsword version is a bit underweight with a tough, but partially hollow blade (or just a regular blade with Way Kewl! fantasy/ science fiction cut-outs).
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 06:42 PM   #8
Anthony

Or you could store the extra mass as gauntlets. Might get rid of the sheath entirely in that case -- when not readied, it's metal covering the arm up to the shoulder, and as you extrude increasingly long blades (or get all WH40k and spikes) the armor gets thinner.