Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-29-2014, 03:14 PM   #1
Michael Cule

Default [BANESTORM] Maps of cities and 21st century Ytarria

Two things: has anyone worked out any maps for Ytarrian cities other than Tredroy? Quartedec would be especially useful.

And has anyone any ideas about how things have developed there since the turn of the millennium? The resolution of the Big Hanging Plot Threads would leave all sorts of issues to be worked out.
Michael Cule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 04:17 PM   #2
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping
Default Re: [BANESTORM] Maps of cities and 21st century Ytarria

There's a map of Ansonne accompanying the article in Pyramid #22.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 04:33 PM   #3
acrosome

Harkwood, of course. and Banestorm: Abydos includes a (very rudimentary) map.

I have to admit, if SJG made a nice high-quality map set for Banestorm- perhaps commissioning it from the fanatics on www.cartographersguild.com- I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Daelin would rock as a cartography contractor- check out this map of his. Jonathan Roberts is frequently on that forum as well, using the avatar Torstan. He's clearly already skilled at using written source material to make maps.

The map would need to be fleshed out quite a bit, and maybe published poster-sized so that you could take it to FedEx and get it printed. Ideally there would be smaller regional maps as well, and the more important cities (Megalos, Tredroy, Yibyorak, Bannock, Craine, Sauvons, Carrick, Alhallabad, Shanijabad, etc.) would be covered, as well as less important ones that already have rudimentary maps like Harkwood, Ansonne and Abydos.

I'm a bit of a map freak. The Atlas Kelestia makes me shiver.

But I understand that SJ is philosophically opposed to such a map set, or something.

Last edited by acrosome; 06-29-2014 at 05:12 PM.
acrosome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 05:48 AM   #4
hal

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrosome View Post
Harkwood, of course. and Banestorm: Abydos includes a (very rudimentary) map.

I have to admit, if SJG made a nice high-quality map set for Banestorm- perhaps commissioning it from the fanatics on www.cartographersguild.com- I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Daelin would rock as a cartography contractor- check out this map of his. Jonathan Roberts is frequently on that forum as well, using the avatar Torstan. He's clearly already skilled at using written source material to make maps.

The map would need to be fleshed out quite a bit, and maybe published poster-sized so that you could take it to FedEx and get it printed. Ideally there would be smaller regional maps as well, and the more important cities (Megalos, Tredroy, Yibyorak, Bannock, Craine, Sauvons, Carrick, Alhallabad, Shanijabad, etc.) would be covered, as well as less important ones that already have rudimentary maps like Harkwood, Ansonne and Abydos.

I'm a bit of a map freak. The Atlas Kelestia makes me shiver.

But I understand that SJ is philosophically opposed to such a map set, or something.
If you think that's a shiver event...

Try Vue 3d software. If you take a topographical representation, and start with a darker grey, and work your way up to a whiter shade of grey - in increments, you can have a 3D renderer for the terrain of Harn. Toss in the vegetation generation from Vue, and it fills in a fair amount of "stuff" for your photorealistic picture.

The only problem is...

The price *cough*.

;)
hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 06:49 PM   #5
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal View Post
If you think that's a shiver event...

Try Vue 3d software. If you take a topographical representation, and start with a darker grey, and work your way up to a whiter shade of grey - in increments, you can have a 3D renderer for the terrain of Harn. Toss in the vegetation generation from Vue, and it fills in a fair amount of "stuff" for your photorealistic picture.

The only problem is...

The price *cough*.

;)
There are other programs that can create terrain from bump maps - I understand Bryce was designed for that sort of thing, for example. Vegetation, OTOH...

Anyway.

Do we have enough data to create even rough maps of any of Yrth's urban centers other than Tredory or Harkwood?
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 06:55 PM   #6
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk View Post
Do we have enough data to create even rough maps of any of Yrth's urban centers other than Tredory or Harkwood?
If there's no data, there's also no data to conflict with.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:43 PM   #7
namada
Banned

Last edited by namada; 09-21-2014 at 12:26 AM.
namada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 05:01 AM   #8
Ronnke

A Banestorm Map Pack would be very awesome.

Does anyone know how much a set of commissioned maps would cost? If not too much then I'm pretty sure there would be enough people willing to donate to the cause and have a bunch of unofficial maps made for free distribution.
Ronnke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 05:27 PM   #9
acrosome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnke View Post
Does anyone know how much a set of commissioned maps would cost? If not too much then I'm pretty sure there would be enough people willing to donate to the cause and have a bunch of unofficial maps made for free distribution.
It varies immensely depending upon who you are commissioning, how large the project is, and who gets to retain copyright, etc. But trust me no one would be willing to make any sort of map of Yrth for any sort of distribution without SJG approval. It would be kind of hard to claim that you didn't steal their intellectual property when you have a city named Yibyorak sitting there...

Last edited by acrosome; 07-01-2014 at 05:41 PM.
acrosome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 06:25 PM   #10
Ronnke

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrosome View Post
But trust me no one would be willing to make any sort of map of Yrth for any sort of distribution without SJG approval. It would be kind of hard to claim that you didn't steal their intellectual property when you have a city named Yibyorak sitting there...
Of course approval would be sought. But there is nothing stopping me from making my own (or commissioning a) map for my campaign. It's also permitted by the online policy for that campaign material to be posted on my blog, as long as its not being sold and it has all the appropriate disclaimers. I'm not suggesting we step on SJG toes or anything, I'm just thinking of a way to get some really nice maps made for our Banestorm campaigns. Community crowdfunding of a skilled cartographer to make those maps would be a solution.
Ronnke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
banestorm