Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-21-2013, 08:06 AM   #31
CoyoteGestalt

Default Re: (IW) Infinity getting to Yrth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Then Infinity doesn't understand how the Ministery of Serendipity works.
Nope! They probably don't even know it exists. Won't that be a fun discovery for them?
CoyoteGestalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:28 AM   #32
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Then Infinity doesn't understand how the Ministery of Serendipity works.
No one understands how it works. It must in part operate on a weird law of the Banestorm universe to make such an unlikely conspiracy workable at all.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:44 PM   #33
arcanus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunners_Fire View Post
Infinity's operations on Yrth should be as utterly minimal as they can manage while still keeping tabs on anything that might endanger Homeline. That White Star is there at all is pure stupidity from an in-world perspective. White Star isn't Patrol. Even if you retain the R2 classification, White Star shouldn't be there.
Of course it could have been White Star who found Yrth first, getting there through their own means. By the time they inform Infinity of their little discovery they've established themselves and its too problematic for Infinity to root them out.

As well as a Merchant house is probably Infinity's best cover.
arcanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:11 PM   #34
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunners_Fire View Post
Yrth has an Infinity Class of R2 ("Research, Patrol Personnel Only"). It shouldn't. It has open magic. It should be a Z2 ("Closed, Patrol Personnel Only") at best.

Infinity's operations on Yrth should be as utterly minimal as they can manage while still keeping tabs on anything that might endanger Homeline. That White Star is there at all is pure stupidity from an in-world perspective. White Star isn't Patrol. Even if you retain the R2 classification, White Star shouldn't be there.
Maybe White Star was there first. And by that I mean, before Infinity existed. Also the thought strikes me that they may be doing research on magic there because magical means of planar travel don't work there any better than technology.
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:22 PM   #35
Phil Masters

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoyoteGestalt View Post
The one thing that's always worried me a little is that if the old GURPS Tredroy is in the same chronological order with the other books, then there were mysterious traders at the Sign of the White Star rather earlier than they should have been.... ;}
3rd edition Yrth material is not automatically canonin 4th edition. We tinkered with some stuff.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:26 PM   #36
Phil Masters

Note that though White Star may not, technically, be part of the Patrol, the two organisations are pretty much permanently in bed. White Star trading houses are just too useful as fronts for Patrol ops, and a lot of data exchange goes on. Dropping a team onto a world that should technically be closed to them may just be a cost-efficient tactic sometimes.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:09 PM   #37
CoyoteGestalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
3rd edition Yrth material is not automatically canonin 4th edition. We tinkered with some stuff.
Oh, I know, it's just fun to scheme. (I am very glad you fixed the constellations, by the way.)
CoyoteGestalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:17 PM   #38
dcarson

Given that dimensional travel is hard in some fashion the more the local agents can "live off the land" the better. A White Star merchant house lets them do that.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:06 AM   #39
arcanus

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Maybe White Star was there first. And by that I mean, before Infinity existed. Also the thought strikes me that they may be doing research on magic there because magical means of planar travel don't work there any better than technology.
That's a really interesting idea, IW canon states that Van Zelde started White Star to to finance Infinity through mercantile commerce.

What if he encountered a Plane Travelling Merchant dynasty called White Star, formed a partnership and imported the brand to Homeline?

Especially if said dynasty originated from a magical world rather than a technological one.
arcanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:22 AM   #40
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarson View Post
Given that dimensional travel is hard in some fashion the more the local agents can "live off the land" the better. A White Star merchant house lets them do that.
Sending stuff to Yrth is easy (as these things go). Infinity can do that without issue. Getting stuff away from Yrth is the difficult part.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
banestorm, infinite worlds