Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-17-2013, 07:52 PM   #9
Stripe

Default Re: [DF] Solving for N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faolyn View Post
Anyone know a good way, except via eyeballing, to figure out the methods used in determining N in the DF adventure? I really like the idea and am in the process of making my own random encounter tables.
Many have tried, their broken minds laid waste in the sands of this forum.

Eventually, someone will post a link to a good thread that put a lot of thought and effort into this process. Unfortunately, I don't have the link nor remember enough of its contents to perform a good search.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
Oh, certainly. That's what I do myself. However, within the context of a published adventure which might be purchased by people who didn't want to spend money to be told to make judgement calls, we needed something more precise.
I have no idea how well your N calculator works in actual practice, so all I can personally grant you is an 'A' for aspiration. I know how insurmountable the challenge was designing just that loose guideline. Glad it was included, and you're very right, some people don't like to buy supplements just to be told to wing it. Even those highly-experienced with GURPS, like me. Of course, it doesn't bother some others. You're writing for all types.

I have no idea how the Pathfinder/D20 Challenge Rating works in practice, either. There are complaints, I've read.

However, the point is those respective designers have such a mechanic. We now have something of the equivalent, something sorely lacking until MotFD, what I consider the other, more important half of DFM1. I may never run the adventure, but Lord knows I'm using everything else in the book.
if I can't say 'I'm chaotic evil!'"? —Jeff Freeman
Stripe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
balance