Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-14-2013, 10:42 AM   #11
Beoferret

Default Re: [banestorm] who knights knights?

According to the Banestorm book [pg. 42 - as part of overall discussion of knighthood]: "In most lands, only lords may actually make knights, though they can delegate the ceremonial role to other knights; in Caithness, the rules are slightly more relaxed."

In Caithness [pg. 113]: Any free person of Caithness, including nonhumans, may be knighted by the king, a landed knight, or a senior Knight of the Stone, becoming an “unlanded” knight. This can be a reward for extreme bravery or skill on the battlefield, or the result of years of training as a squire. Squires are usually chosen from the nobility, but promising commoners can also become squires, especially under unlanded knights or Knights of the Stone."

So, while there's nothing specifically that I can find about knighting in Cardiel, I'd probably go with the general statement about knighting, though combining that with the statement that "Cardien nobles are not as haughty as their Megalan counterparts, and bravery, skill, or extreme loyalty are often rewarded (pg. 139)." to mean that it would certainly be possible for PCs to gain knighthood as a reward for their endeavors (especially if it was unlanded in nature). And I'd see no problem with simply saying that a particular landed knight was well-respected/trusted enough by his liege to have carte blanche right to make new, unlanded knights as he saw fit.

Does this help?
Beoferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:08 AM   #12
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

IIRC, there's an not-quite-equivalent to chivalrous knighthood in the Muslim countries that is sometimes recognized by the Christian countries.

I wonder if banestormed military officers are considered knights?

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:59 AM   #13
Anthony

For titles, absent specific legal restrictions, the key question is not "who can grant a title", it's "who can grant a title that anyone else will care about". If they Mayor of Podunk declares you a knight, you probably aren't going to get much respect for that title except when you're in the immediate Podunk area.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:09 PM   #14
Mateus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
For titles, absent specific legal restrictions, the key question is not "who can grant a title", it's "who can grant a title that anyone else will care about". If they Mayor of Podunk declares you a knight, you probably aren't going to get much respect for that title except when you're in the immediate Podunk area.
In part, is because of this, that I put a limitation to social traits based on their reach in the campanig world. IMO it works great to model things like status and rank of small nations and legal powers and immunity of diferent levels of an hierarchy. For example the captain of the royal guard would have Legal Powers with little (-10%?) or no reduction, representing that he can exerce autority in a big area, suported by a powerfull intitution. A guard in service of guarding a small village for a landed knight would also have Legal Powers, but with a bigger reduction (-50%?), representing that he only has autority in a very small area.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:15 PM   #15
jason taylor

The first female knight in Caithness was knighted by the king by virtue of being a war-hero. Oddly enough Caithness was ambiguous about that as much because of the eccentric reputation of their king as because of the idea of female knights per se. The second one was knighted by the grand master of a knightly order, and that went over better because he was a proven warrior. So it is not necessarily true that social rank of the granter is in direct proportion to the respect given a knight.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:13 AM   #16
RGTraynor

Eh, for all we know, Cardiel knighthoods knight within the order alone.

"Call me old-fashioned, but after you're dead, I don't think you should be entitled to a Dodge any more." - my wife

It's not that I don't understand what you're saying. It's that I disagree with what you're saying.
RGTraynor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:54 AM   #17
chimchim

Thanks guys for your input am about to start my first face to face campaign in a while and the first fantassy one in 15 years lol. All my previous fantassy campaigns have been murder hobo style this one is a lot more settled

Tags
banestorm