Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 10-24-2017, 07:02 PM   #1
J. Durr

Default Ogremorphic record sheets?

One thing that's always mildly irked me is that Ogre record sheets have always had rows of boxes top to bottom. I think they would be a lot neater if they had the boxes arranged the way the components they represent are arranged on the actual Ogre, inside an outline of the Ogre - like Car Wars used to do it.

Do these already exist somewhere perhaps?
J. Durr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 07:42 PM   #2
wolf90

Default Re: Ogremorphic record sheets?

Cool idea.

Any of you with graphic skills care to tackle this?

D.
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.
wolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 07:48 PM   #3
Mack_JB

Which then leads to:

Top down view, or side view? Of the two, top looking down would be good for all the weapons, but bad for treads. Side view would be sort of vice-versa.
Mack_JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 08:03 PM   #4
wolf90

Car Wars historically did it with a top-down view, with boxes for the tires just slightly off to the side. I think tracks would work well in the same manner.

Here's an example from the web.

D.
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.
wolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 08:27 PM   #5
Ulzgoroth

That said, Car Wars needs to be able to distinguish between the four separate wheels, while Ogre has no such concern. And a side or partial side view of the Ogre might look better.
Old 10-24-2017, 08:52 PM   #6
offsides

I have minimal drawing skills. That said, placing boxes inside an existing graphic is definitely something I'm both capable of and inclined to try, even if I don't really have time to do it. So if someone had a good overhead line drawing of an Ogre for me to work with (preferably at a fairly high resolution so it's easier to work with and then scale down for printing), I'm willing to give it a shot.

Having had a decent amount of Car Wars experience when I was younger I definitely can see the appeal of this concept, but I really need a starting point if I'm going to attempt it...
Joshua Megerman, SJGames MIB #5273 - Ogre AI Testing Division
offsides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 09:44 PM   #7
J. Durr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
That said, Car Wars needs to be able to distinguish between the four separate wheels, while Ogre has no such concern. And a side or partial side view of the Ogre might look better.
The top down view is the only way to go imho. You're visualizing your unit moving around on the battlefield like a miniature.

The treads should be arranged such that it's clear when the movement points decrease.
J. Durr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 09:53 PM   #8
Mack_JB

I did some quickie pencil sketches, the trouble will be representing the 45 treads of the Mk. III -- it doesn't easily split into four groups for an image at each corner of the body drawing. The guns and rockets can easily be represented by circles you X off ... located where their barrels meet the body, or the ball joint on the Main(s) or the launcher rack/tube.
Mack_JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 07:50 AM   #9
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_JB View Post
I did some quickie pencil sketches, the trouble will be representing the 45 treads of the Mk. III -- it doesn't easily split into four groups for an image at each corner of the body drawing. The guns and rockets can easily be represented by circles you X off ... located where their barrels meet the body, or the ball joint on the Main(s) or the launcher rack/tube.
God, no. Especially on bigger ogres, it would be guaranteed that you would lose track of the boxes on any kind of graphic (especially for things like the APs).

While the current record sheets are clunky-looking, they are very functional because everything is in discreet groups that are easy to see/track. Trying to be literal on a picture of an ogre would be a nightmare of confusing box placement.
Old 10-25-2017, 08:18 AM   #10
Misplaced Buckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
God, no. Especially on bigger ogres, it would be guaranteed that you would lose track of the boxes on any kind of graphic (especially for things like the APs).

While the current record sheets are clunky-looking, they are very functional because everything is in discreet groups that are easy to see/track. Trying to be literal on a picture of an ogre would be a nightmare of confusing box placement.
I could swear someone has already done this with a Mark III when I was googling Ogre images. Yeah here ya go; http://martianmetalsogremkvb.blogspo...templates.html
Misplaced Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote