Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-18-2014, 01:37 PM   #1
Ixa

Default [RPM] Alternate Quick Gadgeteering

Hi! I'm new here, I really want to hear opinions on my idea. English is not my native language, so sorry for any errors and I hope you guys can understand me! :)

So.. I think the Gadgeteering/Quick Gadgeteering rules on the Basic book too open and vague. I'm trying to adapt RPM Rituals to work as gadgets, is it possible? Is it a good idea?

I GM a Steampunk Fantasy setting. And some of my players want a system to quickly build stuff like death rays, prostetic arms and frankensteins.

My ideas are:

Instead of "Ritual Adept", a "Mad Scientist" advantage, that always need a lab to work and do every "ritual" as a charm or elixir. (Probably costing 30 pcs?)

Instead of "Magery", a "Lab Resources" advantage, meaning a collection of new instruments, cogs, tubes, energy sources, etc etc (But not money), being also an energy reserve + perk per level

Instead of "Thaumatology", "Weird Science" (Both VH skills, so no problem I think)

Instead of the Paths, a "Weird" variation of Engineering skills; Example: Weird Bioengineering, Weird Steam and Clockwork Engineering, Weird Chemistry (For a non-magic Alchemy variant), Weird Physiology (For creating Frankeinstein-like monsters and stuff..)

And finally, the final cost of the ritual should be paid in money. (But I don't know how to do it!) Also, I want to use the time a "Non-Adept" need to cast, not the time of an Adept, so minutes: not seconds. Maybe hours.

So, hivemind, how can I do it?

Last edited by Ixa; 03-18-2014 at 01:44 PM.
Ixa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gadgeteering, rpg