Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > SJ Games Discussion

Old 03-19-2018, 05:05 PM   #1221
nudj

Default Re: Report To The Stakeholders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
I am sorry that you found my reply unfair. It was not, however, an attack. It was a statement of fact:
  • The Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game, while based on GURPS, isn't GURPS . . . it's the Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game. Its success or failure shouldn't be taken as GURPS' success or failure.

• What sells profitably, what sells unprofitably, and what doesn't sell at all isn't knowable so much as discoverable. I was sharing our latest discoveries.

• What we've discovered that would affect GURPS is that a specific format isn't particularly viable right now. That format is inherently prone to the sorts of things that made the Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game costly, and would probably have the same problems if used for GURPS.
My comment that people have the right to a choice is the opposite of an attack – it's an endorsement! I'm all for respecting others' choices. It's just that we can't always deliver those.

And as I confessed, I have a vested personal interest in making sure "we can't deliver choice X for GURPS" isn't read as "we can't deliver GURPS," as the latter leads to rumors that could actually end my livelihood.
Everything about this post is reasonable. Except for the last paragraph (and the corresponding comment in your original response). A customer who spends $50 and reads almost immediately that the DFRPG was a “failure” should be able to reasonably ask about the GURPS line’s viability without being told that the Line editor is personally upset by the question.

Admittedly, I was excited about the DFRPG (it was the only Christmas present I asked for) and am upset that it was so quickly abandoned by SJG. So I probably don’t have the best attitude. I’m glad that you and Phil have clarified that GURPS is still viable. I will try to sell the DFRPG + ongoing PDFs to my group.
nudj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 05:10 PM   #1222
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nudj View Post

A customer who spends $50 and reads almost immediately that the DFRPG was a “failure” should be able to reasonably ask about the GURPS line’s viability without being told that the Line editor is personally upset by the question.
I didn't say I was upset; I said I had a vested interest in clear air. Specifically, I want it to be clear that the viability of a whole game line that's normally published in one format is not in any way determined by the sales success of another game line (even a related one!) published in a different format. To say anything else would be dishonest. This is what's known as "declaring a personal interest," and it's just about always considered best practices; in fact, it's the law in some places.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 06:29 PM   #1223
Žorkell
Icelandic - Approach With Caution

Speaking as the guy who probably started the trail of posts that lead to Kromm's post that is under discussion now the questions that are in that post were the first questions that popped into my head after reading the report. As I pointed out a few posts after the above mentioned post I did admit that at least one of my questions was perhaps poorly worded. I did rephrase it later, but I still haven't edited my post to change the original question. I'd be happy to do that to avoid starting rumors of premature GURPS death, or the mods here can do that since they have the power to do so.

Viking kittens | My photos | More of my photos
Žorkell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 09:26 PM   #1224
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

I would actually counsel against that. Anybody who cares enough to read the thread will understand - unless we go back and change history, in which case the rest of the discourse ceases to make sense. But thank you for the well meant offer!
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 08:01 AM   #1225
TransmitHim

Quote:
it is frustrating when a Munchkin fan is forced to spend five, ten, or twenty times MSRP on eBay to get a game they want
But here's a doom-laden post sure to drive up the after-market value on half our catalogue anyway. :\

I get not being able to keep the entire line in print at all times - at the size it is that's pretty impractical - but to announce you're writing off swathes of the line as never being reprinted is a gift to scalpers on the secondary market.
TransmitHim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 08:16 AM   #1226
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransmitHim View Post
But here's a doom-laden post sure to drive up the after-market value on half our catalogue anyway. :\

I get not being able to keep the entire line in print at all times - at the size it is that's pretty impractical - but to announce you're writing off swathes of the line as never being reprinted is a gift to scalpers on the secondary market.
Very little for the Munchkin line is currently out of print*; this is an alert that some things that are available now won't be reprinted once they're gone. It is an attempt to give people a chance to pick up those games now while they are still in the primary market.

If people want more details about exactly what we're expecting to let trickle off shelves, check out my Munchkin News post from April 2 of this year (scroll down a bit).

* The exceptions, as of this writing, are: (a) Roughly half of the 15-/30-card mini-expansions, almost all of which were intended to be single-printing items anyway; (b) Some of the Munchkin accessory products such as the Kill-O-Meter; (c) Several of the Deluxe format games (including some of the Guest Artist Edition series); (d) The Good, the Bad, and the Munchkin. Categories (a) and (b) may still be in some stores; categories (c) and (d) certainly are.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 01:15 PM   #1227
Pragmatic
Ceci n'est pas une tag.

I understand that this is even less of a non-priority than other GURPS projects (and I'm getting more stuff than the poor In Nomine fans), but are there plans (say, in the next five years) to complete the PDF scanning of GURPS 3e products?

There's about a dozen (?) items on my bookshelves that I'd like to get in my digital collection, too.
Old 05-13-2018, 01:40 PM   #1228
Tom H.

I just took advantage of the current Ogre product sale on Warehouse 23.

It made me think about a compliment I wanted to share.

I really appreciate how in this day SJ Games hosts its own store and forums.

The website is also a great hub of information and connection to the customers. The Daily Illuminator is a simple but effective draw.

I don't always like relying on third party services, so I appreciate the effort SJ Games puts into their own web destination.
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 08:54 PM   #1229
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

Thank you. It sometimes seems impractical, in this day and age, but we like doing it this way and it's good to know that it's appreciated.
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 05:12 PM   #1230
Jim Kane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom H. View Post
...I really appreciate how in this day SJ Games hosts its own store and forums. The website is also a great hub of information and connection to the customers. The Daily Illuminator is a simple but effective draw. I don't always like relying on third party services, so I appreciate the effort SJ Games puts into their own web destination.
Hear, Hear!

I have to add: With the resource, inter-active environment, and community provided here by everyone, I am having a better time TODAY, than in the sum-total of my entire misspent youth at our local gaming store back in 1980s.

JK

Last edited by Jim Kane; 05-14-2018 at 10:11 PM. Reason: Typo
Jim Kane is offline   Reply With Quote