Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-10-2018, 12:26 PM   #19
AlexanderHowl

Default Re: Realistic Point Gains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonsua View Post
Yes I got multiple very important questions, such as:

How do you calculate the energy output of the "SOLAR POWER
SATELLITE" in "Spaceships 6. Mining and space industry."?
How may I approximate to a Market Cap value for a company, should I just take its revenue and check averages by industry in price/sales ratios?
When in Biotech it is said that "mass market drugs are worth down to 1% of their book prices", how do I realistically represent this? How much would a production line of these characteristics cost? As per Campaign Basic Set I can say that production lines lower the production costs to 50% and increases efficiency to a seven facton not x100...

And more, but I would say that it is better to go little by little :)
For the purpose of calculating the energy output of Spacecraft, I take the output of a Major Weapon Battery using a beam weapon, divide it by 10 (representing a 50% efficiency for a 20-second turn), and use that for the energy generation in W of 1 Power Point for that SM. For example, an SM+10 Major Weapon Battery has a beam output of 3 GJ. When divided by 10, it ends up being 300 MW per Power Point. If we assume a 25% efficiency for a TL9 space panel at 1 AU, that end up being a Solar Panel with around 1 square kilometer in area (meaning that the Solar Panel Array masses 0.5 kg per square meter or 1.66 g per W).

As for the energy industry, the current price of wholesale electricity in the USA is $30/MW-h, so a space energy farm would have to be competitive at the point (the greater efficiencies of the microwave transmitters is balanced by the inefficiencies in conversion on the surface and in transmission from remote locations to urban areas). An orbital spacecraft with 5 Major Weapon Batteries and 5 Solar Panels could effectively transmit 1.5 GW of electricity from space to the customer after inefficiencies, meaning that it would generate $45,000 per hour in revenue (~$378M per year assuming one hour per day offline). The spacecraft would cost ~$500M and, using TL9 launch costs, would cost $500M to send into LEO (while it could not send power to one specific station all of the time, it could switch between stations during its orbit). The receiving stations and transmission capacity would cost an additional $250M, meaning a total of $1.25B. With 1% repayment and 1% O&M cost (including insurance), it would cost $300M per year to operate (you need to include lift costs because you have to lift components and personnel from the surface to LEO), meaning that it could potentially be economically feasible (though it might not be politically feasible).
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote