Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 03-26-2015, 05:40 PM   #911
RevBob

Default Re: Real-Life Weirdness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydamas View Post
Are you hoping that the horrors which you fight are susceptible to physical destruction? Has the shortage of Great War surplus and the closing of Bannerman's made you think "but where can I get a flamethrower these days?" Don't settle for an aerosol can and a dollar store lighter! American industry has an answer for you in the XM42.
Oh, good. I was just thinking that I'd like to set that thing over there on fire, but I'm not close enough to do it. If only there were a way for me to throw fire onto it...

(With an apologetic nod to George Carlin.)

Looking for a St. Aosbczkcs medal.
RevBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 01:13 PM   #912
William

People in a Kazakhstan village are mysteriously falling asleep in droves. They sleep for days and wake up with memory loss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alternet
The Russian Times reports that eight children fell asleep within an hour during the first week of school, and several months later, 60 people were hit with the disease on the same day.

...after conducting several tests ranging from environmental toxicity to patient data, results have been unsubstantial. Bacterial and viral tests have come up negative, knocking out the possibility that this is a parasitic disease such as African trypanosomiasis... Carbon monoxide poisoning often results in a headache, vomiting and dizziness, but that wouldn’t account for the bizarre sleeping element.
Yes... sleeping. That's what you were all doing, citizen. You were all asleep. For days. A strange illness. Let's go with that...
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 02:59 PM   #913
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
Yes... sleeping. That's what you were all doing, citizen. You were all asleep. For days. A strange illness. Let's go with that...
"near a former Soviet Union uranium mine". Uh, yeah. Uranium mine. You wouldn't want to go there. Large radiation leak, very dangerous. Give us a few minut... months to lock it down.
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 03:49 PM   #914
ak_aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Roy Slade View Post
I have read that the Blood Qu'ran presents a conundrum for Muslim theologians as blood is an unclean or impure substance in Islam and so keeping a Qu'ran written in it is haraam (sinful) while defiling or defacing a Qu'ran is also haraam. At the same time, a lot of secular authorities do not want it around as an object of Saddam's reign. Can't hang onto it, can't get rid of it, can't destroy it.
http://islam.about.com/od/quran/a/Disposal-Of-Quran.htm lists burial in a graveyard or being placed into flowing water as suitable disposal methods.
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 08:54 PM   #915
Johnny1A.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
In Sweden in the 70's, you were only allowed one phone per household unless you had special permission from the government.
What was the rationale for that policy?
Johnny1A.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 07:47 AM   #916
alexondria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny1A.2 View Post
If I had to hazard a guess it would be that the switchboards could only handle so much and if people started having more than one phone it would quickly surpass what could be handled.
alexondria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 07:34 AM   #917
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny1A.2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexondria View Post
If I had to hazard a guess it would be that the switchboards could only handle so much and if people started having more than one phone it would quickly surpass what could be handled.
I have no idea, but Alexondria may have the right idea.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:44 PM   #918
tantric
Banned

confessions of a weirdness magnet

i have special weakness for a certain completely legal, over-the-counter recreational psychedelic. most people, of the very small percent of people who find this experience enjoyable, take enough to almost knock themselves out, hallucinate, talk to gods, etc. in the (brilliant) FAQ there's a section on NDE, out of body experiences and random psychic phenomena. seriously? the part in the faq is why i tried it - is that some special memetic trap designed just for me? i can just have it? yeah. did that - was ******* insane for several years, in which i was convinced that ultraterrestials where using my brain to collapse probability fields selectively in order to push human evolution toward transcendence. as a side effect, i learned to do the same - only on some things. not impossible, just magic weird **** like the salish sea feet and this stuff. now, i take far less, but daily. i take just enough to make me verge. or be more me. or something. 3x the 'recommended dose' once a day, which really, isn't dangerous - its' *OTC*. oh, by the way, it makes me utterly immune to any kind of addiction - even opiates. i was a *junkie* at one point in the past, now i can take pain meds as recommended to avoid pain, if needed - i don't binge. i don't spend my life 'fighting the never ending addiction' AA/NA crap, but yeah, side effects....the other night, i drove my dad to his favorite hospital, 60mi away, through two towns, and never stopped for a redlight. i see them in the distance, find which light has to change first the sequence that leads to green, snap my fingers, and it turns, if it isn't already green. green lights are not allowed to turn yellow unless i'm actually in the intersection, when its fun. but that's ******* insane, and i know that. i can't mentally control traffic signals, or anything else. this morning, while watching 'digging up the marrow' the movie froze at the penultimate moment, as the monster is standing next to the filmmaker's bed, holding the camera, just before the end....and the power blinked.....and when i went to see why me *and and father* were troubled by the sound of a malfuctioning smoke/CO alarm, beeping (actually, and this is not hyperbole, making a whirring, chirping sound EXACTLY LIKE A SHOGGOTH WOULD), but we simply could not find it (it beeps once a minute), then it stopped. that **** is NOT OKAY. hello, to the masters of coincidence control central, please **** OFF. i was about to jump out of my skin. but that's because i'm focused on this kind of thing, which actually happens all the time, but i don't remember it, like everybody else, right?

and for all y'all bitches up in cislunar station laughin' your grey ****in' asses off - i tell y'all this, there's gonna be a day of reckoning when humanity arrives at the noncorporeal scene. we gone be kickin' ass and takin' names about this ET ****. you do NOT vanish a plane full of ****ing people without a trace in the mf 21st century and walk away with it.

Last edited by tantric; 04-01-2015 at 04:32 AM.
tantric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 08:46 PM   #919
Johnny1A.2

More or less self-explanatory, but:

Anglo-Saxon Cure for Styles Might Have Modern Uses

It's a long way from there to actual drugs, but it's an interesting story anyway. There's a modern tendency to dismiss our ancestors as utterly ignorant, when in fact they were just as smart as we are and knew things worth remembering.
Johnny1A.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 01:05 PM   #920
Anders

Ethnopharmacology is a big thing. Find out what the locals use and then see if you can isolate it. Often it's effective but not as effective as something we already have, but from time to time...

Tags
blueberry muffin, fermi paradox