Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 10-17-2020, 08:27 AM   #11
Polkageist

Default Re: Would catnip affect catfolk?

So, if catfolk have catnip, what other species have a species-specific intoxicant they might indulge in?

Dwaves, naturally, would have their ale. Orcs I think have a whiskey variant that's pretty awful for non-orcs but they definitely like it. Elves I think are mead, or wine, but whatever it is it's suuuuper fancy.

Gnomes? Probably huffing straight benzene.
Halfling is easy, "pipe-weed" whatever that stuff is.
Coleopterans would be... probably a plant pollen? They're giant beetles, and ordinary earth-beetles probably aren't equipped with the biology to enjoy intoxicants. They spend a lot of time underground, so may a root-based intoxicant or a mineral based one. Maybe the get high off of powdered agate or something.
Polkageist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 08:28 AM   #12
Polkageist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
There are a fair number of drugs that can be used offensively, but you'd probably have to hire an alchemist to spend a bunch of time producing an aerosol infusion and then it's likely not the most effective of drugs even then.
Fantasy version of MKUltra
Old 10-17-2020, 06:56 PM   #13
dcarson

In non combat time the classic is leave some where they can find and take it. Yhen attack later while they are drunk/drugged.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 06:24 AM   #14
Gumby Bush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polkageist View Post
So, if catfolk have catnip, what other species have a species-specific intoxicant they might indulge in?

Dwaves, naturally, would have their ale. Orcs I think have a whiskey variant that's pretty awful for non-orcs but they definitely like it. Elves I think are mead, or wine, but whatever it is it's suuuuper fancy.

Halfling is easy, "pipe-weed" whatever that stuff is.
Coleopterans would be... probably a plant pollen? They're giant beetles, and ordinary earth-beetles probably aren't equipped with the biology to enjoy intoxicants. They spend a lot of time underground, so may a root-based intoxicant or a mineral based one. Maybe the get high off of powdered agate or something.
In my present fantasy game we have moth-folk with Addiction (soft, warm light; incapacitating, legal) [-10]; from GURPS per se.
Old 10-20-2020, 07:45 AM   #15
Polkageist

Mothman: "brb, gonna go light up"
Buddy: "Cigarette?"
Mothman: "Nah, zippo"

Caribou-folk get messed up on insanely deadly mushrooms. There is a black(gold) market on the caribou byproduct that has removed the toxic compounds, leaving enough of the psychotropic drug for other's use.
Old 10-24-2020, 04:38 AM   #16
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polkageist View Post
Causes cancer in humans. For gnomes, it's "required for proper nose development."
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 11:10 AM   #17
Anders

My players suggest orcs on peyote.
Old 10-30-2020, 11:26 AM   #18
Alden Loveshade

I would tend to let catnip affect catfolk much as it would cats. Of course catfolk could take it or not, their choice--unless they were forced to ingest it.

We do something similar in a campaign with what we call fox-people. They are more-or-less bipedal, two-handed, intelligent foxes with a few variations thrown in. Because they live in a largely human society, we figured which ingested substances would affect them differently than humans. To keep it simple (especially as there's limited information on those things for foxes), we went by dogs.
Alden Loveshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 11:32 AM   #19
Flyndaran
Untagged

An important fact to remember is that a large number of domestic cats aren't affected by it. Most I've had paid zero attention even to fresh nip.

My present two litter mates eat it and get the munchies. But that's it.
Old 11-04-2020, 10:53 AM   #20
Black Leviathan

Yes, they'd be effected. They have enough of the physiology of a cat that similar toxins would impact them in a similar way. But they're not cats so the dosage and impact wouldn't necessarily be the same. I'd wager they'd still get a better high from ordinary booze.

It could be crafted to work as a poison, just like other herbal concoctions are used to affect other races. Chances are it would have an effect on Catfolk while other poisons might not.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catfolk, catnip