Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 10-29-2020, 08:29 AM   #241
TGLS

Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Hua is in the lift from level 13 to 11 when a pair of medical personnel get on. One of them looks her up and down, then whispers something to his buddy.

fortunately, the quarters for the security personnel are on the floor they just left.

Both you and them are planning to get off on deck 11, block C.
Could I use Shadowing backwards so I can be sure I lose them in the crowd (given that Shadowing is following people in a crowd)? Or would that be stealth?
TGLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 08:36 AM   #242
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Could I use Shadowing backwards so I can be sure I lose them in the crowd (given that Shadowing is following people in a crowd)? Or would that be stealth?
You can use shadowing to try and put distance between you and them right after you get out of the elevator, yes.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 09:35 AM   #243
TGLS

Well, let's roll:

Shadowing to elude the two who noticed me:
Quote:
[142] 20-10-29 16:30:55 CET
Shadowing
3d6 <= 16 : 4 + 4 + 1 = 9 ... success
Setup the sign and pick the lock (another -4?)
Quote:
[143] 20-10-29 16:32:46 CET
Lockpicking -4
3d6 <= 10
6 + 2 + 6 = 14 ... failure
Trying again
Quote:
[144] 20-10-29 16:33:21 CET
Lockpicking -4
3d6 <= 10
6 + 2 + 5 = 13 ... failure
One more time:
Quote:
[145] 20-10-29 16:34:59 CET
Lockpicking - 4
3d6 <= 10
6 + 4 + 4 = 14 ... failure
Ok, now something has probably has happened. 7 minutes past now?
Old 10-29-2020, 12:19 PM   #244
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Hua moves off, and makes a few weird turns in order to elude her pursuers. Then she goes to the location and sets up her sign.

She's been picking it for about two minutes when she hears heavy and hurried footsteps, seemingly ignoring her sign, coming from around the corner.

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 10-29-2020, 01:03 PM   #245
TGLS

Quote:
Hua moves off, and makes a few weird turns in order to elude her pursuers. Then she goes to the location and sets up her sign.

She's been picking it for about two minutes when she hears heavy and hurried footsteps, seemingly ignoring her sign, coming from around the corner.
If I had to guess, it's probably a medical emergency. Is there a hiding place, at least one where I would go unseen if they don't turn around (i.e. doorway, behind a row of lockers, etc.)?
Old 10-29-2020, 01:44 PM   #246
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

The walls are pretty sparse, but there is a hallway every 10 feet or so. Almost everything is a storage compartment of one sort or another, though the doors are sealed. Towards the center of the ship are a bunch of medical stations and the backup navigational center is also there.

There is a wealth of corners to hide behind among the Hydrogen brick compartments, but most of them involve mobile evasion, not a simple good hiding spot. The compartments themselves can't be closed from the inside, so they're not great spots.

Old 10-29-2020, 03:42 PM   #247
TGLS

Guess I ought to back off for a while. I'll head into the brick corners. Stealth to get away:
Quote:
[146] 20-10-29 22:38:46 CET
Stealth
3d6 <= 16 : 4 + 4 + 2 = 10 ... success
I'll try to see who's come this way, and identify when they're gone:
Quote:
[147] 20-10-29 22:41:50 CET
Observation
3d6 <= 13 : 3 + 2 + 4 = 9 ... success
Old 10-29-2020, 08:05 PM   #248
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Hua quickly slips around a corner and out of sight. (perception roll of 11 fails to see her)

The footsteps belong to two security personnel, both with laser riffles.

"Do you see them?"

"No, but someone had to put the sign up!"

"Be careful, its probably the dreadstormer. Who'd have thought it was a woman?"

Old 10-30-2020, 04:06 AM   #249
GnomesofZurich

Quote:
For determining technique to use I'd prefer a roll against solider... I rolled for you and got a 14.

Your training suggests the following methods for determining the location and mission (and thus timing) of the ship you are on:

As you are a control-based telepath, the most reliable method is to "suggest" someone who knows for sure. The senior officers and senior navigational NCO's both know this, but training suggests targeting navigational NCO's over officers (less risk, more exposure). You need some method to get close, doctrine suggests carousing your way into their circle during off-hours or assisting in a convenient task nearby navigation. Or even a fabricated one: marching into navigation, having a quick private conversation with a navigator, and marching out is not generally suspicious unless frequently repeated.

There is a busy rumor mill about this on every ship. Carousing is generally the usual skill for gathering those rumors. Daymar has a bet on first shot fired, and thus an unusually good cover and an icebreaker for talking about the subject.

If you are part of the Motive section and have Navigation (Hyperspace) (you do), you can try and calculate the rough parameters of the jump, as well as a guess at the general direction of the route.

Strategy(Space) and Intelligence Analysis would enhance the ability to process rumors and navigation data, but your small team doesn't include those skills.

We probably should have had some sort of skill along the lines of "Expert skill (Dreadstorming)" or even soldier (Dreadstormer) that reflects how well you absorbed training in the procedures of how to take an enemy ship. As opposed to soldier(Zorbani Navy). But hindsight is 20/20.
Day wants to avoid using his psi abilities unless needed to minimize chance of exposure, so he will start with more conventional skills. When off-duty he will seek out navigational NCOs to pump for information "about the bet", and also trying to work out some details about the jump.

[149] 20-10-30 11:04:48 CET

Carousing to get information from Navigation NCOs

3d6 <= 12
4 + 3 + 2 = 9 ... success

[150] 20-10-30 11:05:43 CET

Navigation (Hyperspace) to get information about direction/duration of jump

3d6 <= 16
5 + 3 + 4 = 12 ... success
Old 10-30-2020, 08:34 AM   #250
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Will he be carousing to try and find the navigation NCO's on deck 19 or around the establishments on deck 12? Or will he try and meet with them in their messes?