Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-21-2020, 12:12 AM   #21
(E)

Default Re: Low-tech tool kits: leather

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
<SNIP>

* Preparing the hide of a man-sized animal takes two days of immediate effort, and then a week more that can be interspersed with travel.

<SNIP>

Have I said anything that appears seriously unrealistic or inaccurate?
Salting a hide will allow the initial work to be put off for some time, in a cooler climate this maybe for months.

Skinning without a knife may be preferred if the animal is in good enough condition. This is "punching" off a skin.

From what I have read about TL2 (boat building and general crafts) there is an indication that specific purposes called for leather from specific animals. Porpoise hide ropes was one reference I recall as is cat skins for gloves, Otzi had shoes constructed from bear and deer skin, his clothes were made from at least 4 other species of animals.

Last edited by (E); 10-21-2020 at 12:30 AM.
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 07:55 AM   #22
The Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by (E) View Post
From what I have read about TL2 (boat building and general crafts) there is an indication that specific purposes called for leather from specific animals. Porpoise hide ropes was one reference I recall as is cat skins for gloves, Otzi had shoes constructed from bear and deer skin, his clothes were made from at least 4 other species of animals.
Supply may be an issue here - although I've hear of the Norse favouring sealskins for ropes, I would guess you had to work with what you had, modified for what it could achieve - for shoes you'd probably need your most hard-wearing hides or leather, whilst lighter stiff from smaller mammals (like cats?) might end up being used for finer work. A set of clothes made from multiple species might reflect different leathers for different functions, or might just be that you had to mix and match what you had.
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 01:05 AM   #23
Hyrneson

To add a bit more confusion --
at TL 2(?) or TL3 the art of leather tooling(carving and stamping designs into the leather) could be a skill that could accompany leather tanning and leather construction. For that I might suggest the an artist's (whitesmith?) metal working tools as a base for figuring price.

Tags
leatherworking