Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 08-09-2020, 05:17 PM   #1
JohnPaulB

Default TFT Math talents

TFT has an IQ 13 MATHEMATICS (2) talent [ITL p 43]
This is the knowledge of math below the calculus level: algebra, geometry, possibly some trigonometry, and accounting.

This is a learned area of knowledge and deserves its IQ and 2 Point cost.

However, what about the math skills lower than that?

I assume that basic number counting up to at least 20 is common and granted to all characters without the need to mention it.

I assume that those PCs and NPCs who run businesses have a low level of business math that can aid them in inventory, budgeting and taxes. This is not a purchased talent, but an assumption based on their job. It should provide a bit more on the ability to do basic number counting.

I assume that those with Business Sense have some sort of high level business math that aids them in doing calculations in their head that are practical mathematics. This guy is not an accountant though, that would need the MATHEMATICS talent.

Then there is the PC or NPC who cannot do math at all. Cannot count beyond 5 fingers, does not understand the concept of taking something away (subtraction), or other related math. This to me would be a handicap. In a modern game, it would be a major handicap, but in medieval times, maybe just a -1 Handicap.

This character has problems when someone says "social distancing of 6 feet" or "that will be 18 silvers please." People will look on him with pity or exasperation.

I am sure this subject has come up before, what have others had to say about it?

Fantasy Chess: A chess game with combat.
Don't just take the square, Fight for it!
https://www.shadowhex.com

Last edited by JohnPaulB; 08-09-2020 at 05:19 PM. Reason: added question
JohnPaulB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 06:25 PM   #2
JimmyPlenty

Default Re: TFT Math talents

I think that is all valid reasoning.
JimmyPlenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 06:47 PM   #3
hcobb

Literacy seems to include some numeracy given the comment about maps.

Several of the mundane talents require some innate mathematics to work, but these may be expressed as rules of thumb without guidelines for general purpose application.

Business Sense more or less requires basic accounting.

Engineer, Architect, Mechanician, and Shipbuilder also have a lot of math in them.
Old 08-09-2020, 06:52 PM   #4
larsdangly

I'd say all the elementary and functional maths come along with relevant talents, and if you don't know how to do anything other than hack at people with a halberd then you are innumerate.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 08:52 PM   #5
JohnPaulB

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Literacy seems to include some numeracy given the comment about maps.

Several of the mundane talents require some innate mathematics to work, but these may be expressed as rules of thumb without guidelines for general purpose application.

Business Sense more or less requires basic accounting.

Engineer, Architect, Mechanician, and Shipbuilder also have a lot of math in them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
I'd say all the elementary and functional maths come along with relevant talents, and if you don't know how to do anything other than hack at people with a halberd then you are innumerate.
I can agree with these comments.

So you have basic mathematics (like add and subtract) for your culture. If you have a talent that utilizes mathematics, you have an understanding of math appropriate to perform that talent. This might be more math knowledge than the general population has, but not to the level of Mathematics Talent.

Fantasy Chess: A chess game with combat.
Don't just take the square, Fight for it!
https://www.shadowhex.com
JohnPaulB is offline   Reply With Quote