Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-08-2015, 09:19 AM   #1
Calvin

Default Running Jump distance and Jumping dodge and retreat?

Recently in the Ultra-Tech campaign I've been playing my character got his hands on a Ranger Exoskeleton. I spent some time figuring out my jump ranges with the Super Jump 2 that the exoskeleton grants, and I realized that I want to jump all the time ever. This led me to two questions about the jump rules:

1. Is a running/sprinting jump considered a "prepared" jump? Do you get both avoid the halving of distance and gain an increased effective move, or is it one or the other?

2. As part of a dodge and retreat could I opt to do an unprepared jump instead of simply taking a step? Would I need to make a Jump roll to do so?
Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 09:45 AM   #2
Fred Brackin

Default Re: Running Jump distance and Jumping dodge and retreat?

[QUOTE=Calvin;1888912
2. As part of a dodge and retreat could I opt to do an unprepared jump instead of simply taking a step? Would I need to make a Jump roll to do so?[/QUOTE]

This is the Dive for Cover variant f Dodge. You'll get a distance of Jump/10 and round up.

You can't take an actual Move in place of a Dodge. Dodges take place as Active Defenses on your opponent's Turn. Move Actions have to be declared when you begin a new Turn.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:54 AM   #3
Calvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
This is the Dive for Cover variant f Dodge. You'll get a distance of Jump/10 and round up.

You can't take an actual Move in place of a Dodge. Dodges take place as Active Defenses on your opponent's Turn. Move Actions have to be declared when you begin a new Turn.
Is that Jump skill, or the calculated broad jump?
Old 04-08-2015, 10:08 AM   #4
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin View Post
Is that Jump skill, or the calculated broad jump?
It's however far you can jump normally. It's so expensive to buy enough Jump to substantially raise your jumping distance that I almost never see that.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:30 PM   #5
Calvin

I can't find a reference to dive for cover that includes the possibility of using your Jump to determine the distance for the dive.

Is it not in the basic set?
Old 04-09-2015, 03:56 AM   #6
Verjigorm

Location: Charlotte, North Caroline, United States of America, Earth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
It's however far you can jump normally. It's so expensive to buy enough Jump to substantially raise your jumping distance that I almost never see that.
A baseline character(with no traits adjusting one way or the other) has basic speed 5, right? Which translates to Basic Move five. To increase basic move(and hence jumping distance) costs 5 points. Getting Jumping at DX +2 costs 4 points. Jumping 12(DX +2, and DX 10 character, remember) is effectively move 6 for jumping, and is 1 point cheaper. That's the break point though: I think buying Basic move up is better than buying Jumping up if you really want to JUMP.

What I find Goofy though, is that there's really no reason for a jumper to be Fast AND skilled, it's either fast OR skilled. Because Jumping doesn't provide any bonus, it just replaces your basic move. Well, technically, the distance you moved before jumping matters, but I don't think it's a big deal. Currently, there's no reason to get Jumping unless it's better than your basic move. Also, Jumping 16 is enough to put you in the records for the last 100 years. And I think in the top 20 for the Olympics over the past 40. Which is, probably optimistic.

I think the Jumping rules are a bit wonky, honestly, and anything involving them is also suspect.
Old 04-09-2015, 07:36 AM   #7
Fred Brackin

Quote:
I can't find a reference to dive for cover that includes the possibility of using your Jump to determine the distance for the dive.

Is it not in the basic set?
<shrug>It could be in my head as a House Rule that looks obvious to me.

Especially when Super Jump is involved. Until you have a lot of Super Jump your Move during jumping will be your regular Move anyway.
Old 04-09-2015, 01:34 PM   #8
Calvin

Some basic checking of figures gives Super Jump 2 as the breakpoint for Jumping being worth it, at least at BM 5. Super Jump of 2 gives a movement of 11 with a running Jump. At SJ 1 you only get a movement of 5 with a running jump, and need to be sprinting in the turn prior to get to a movement of 6.

One thing to remember is that Super Jump scales exponentially, every level of Super Jump doubles jumping distance. So Super Jump 2 is four times the normal jump distance, and it only gets better as you add more levels.

It would be nice to have some sort of jumping dodge rules, even if all it does is give you a larger distance to move on a dodge and retreat.

Last edited by Calvin; 04-09-2015 at 02:10 PM.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:23 PM   #9
Gef

Quote:
and it only gets better as you add more levels.
Except that when you've paid for 4 levels, you could've bought Flight.
Gef is offline   Reply With Quote