Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-15-2015, 05:27 PM   #1
mr beer

Default Reliable knock-out device?

Dear GURPS forum,

I have a player who wants a device (weapon, tool, gadget) that can reliably knock out an enemy. This is in contrast to cracking them in the Face or Skull and hoping you don't kill them. Available Tech Level is 8.

Is there such a thing? If a reliable knock-out is not available, what about something to immobilise or enervate them? Without using physical restraints such as rope or cuffs. I'm thinking he might need to carry a syringe of a powerful sedative or something like that.
mr beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 05:31 PM   #2
Nereidalbel

Default Re: Reliable knock-out device?

Anything that can reliably target the skull is good at knocking people out. However, unless you're going to allow gadget-limited afflictions, anything that can knock a human out quickly is also good at killing humans.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 05:39 PM   #3
mr beer

Well, he has an associate who is remarkably adept at punching people in the face (it's like his whole schtick), it's a non-potentially lethal option that he wants.
Old 03-15-2015, 05:41 PM   #4
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Choke hold out of the question?
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 05:42 PM   #5
Ulzgoroth

There's really nothing safe.

Tasers are reasonably safe for a take-down, but they don't keep the target down. Powerful sedatives generally have to be dosed carefully to avoid killing the subject.

Maybe some sort of muscle relaxant? Wouldn't be surprised if those are deadly outside a narrow dose range too.
Old 03-15-2015, 05:47 PM   #6
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr beer View Post
Well, he has an associate who is remarkably adept at punching people in the face (it's like his whole schtick), it's a non-potentially lethal option that he wants.
Critical hits to the face can still roll "Skull" as a sub-location, and lead to death. Only magic and super science can reliably knock somebody out without risk of death. Of course, if you don't mind killing somebody every few hundred punches, it still works.

If cost and legality aren't an issue, get a hold of the same stuff they use in an operating room.
Old 03-15-2015, 05:50 PM   #7
evileeyore
Banned

At tech 8 (which is now) there are semi-reliable gas grenades and dart loads for air guns.

Any day now I expect to see reliable irritant rounds for pistols. Any day now. Yup.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 05:52 PM   #8
Andreas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
Critical hits to the face can still roll "Skull" as a sub-location, and lead to death. Only magic and super science can reliably knock somebody out without risk of death. Of course, if you don't mind killing somebody every few hundred punches, it still works.
Well, choke holds if properly performed are pretty reliable. Supposedly there has been no reported fatalities due to choking in judo.
Andreas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 05:56 PM   #9
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
Well, choke holds if properly performed are pretty reliable. Apparently there has been no documented fatalities due to choking in judo.
"Properly" being the key word here. Competitions tend to have referees, rules, medics on-hand, and all kinds of safety things you won't have on the street. That said, high enough skill can be good for getting a KO without a kill.
Old 03-15-2015, 05:58 PM   #10
mr beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Choke hold out of the question?
Doesn't fit his shtick, he's sort of a Batman type (gizmos and detecting) but minus the roughhousing.

I know this goes against the usually reliable motto that you can solve anything with enough choke-holds.