Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-17-2019, 11:15 AM   #591
Zarmonic

Default Re: [RPM] Post your rituals here

It's on p18 of the RPM book. Which in turn refers to an option in Thaumatology. It's basically defining an event that would end the spell, like "until she is kissed by a prince". Or you can just make the duration really long, like a year or more, so that in game terms it's pretty much as good as permanent.
Zarmonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 01:21 PM   #592
ajardoor

Help me out here, RPM-euthasists.
Tell me how to model this ritual?

Pause Doom
(Probably Destroy Crossroads and Strengthen Body?)
This ritual suspends deleterious effects of advancing time - afflictions, starvation, exhaustion, mortal wounds, bleeding, disease, poison, toxin, etc. - upon the subject. It does not cancel or undo an affliction, but it does grant them a reprieve. Supernatural effects, such as curses with a countdown, are resisted by this ritual. The subject cannot suffer new effects, or age naturally, or need to eat and sleep while protected by this spell. It has no effect on new or old crippling or permanent injuries - the subject may still die, too. The main drawback is the subject protected by the spell cannot regain FP, heal naturally, refill their mana reserve or even spend Character Points for the duration. (If the subject has used any game-time-restricted ability, this spell also suspends the "cooldown" between uses.)
Old 02-28-2020, 05:03 PM   #593
AlexanderHowl

Pause Doom would probably be best represented by an Affliction or Toxic Attack created with Delay (+50%).
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 06:59 PM   #594
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajardoor View Post
Help me out here, RPM-euthasists.
Tell me how to model this ritual?

Pause Doom
(Probably Destroy Crossroads and Strengthen Body?)
This ritual suspends deleterious effects of advancing time - afflictions, starvation, exhaustion, mortal wounds, bleeding, disease, poison, toxin, etc. - upon the subject. It does not cancel or undo an affliction, but it does grant them a reprieve. Supernatural effects, such as curses with a countdown, are resisted by this ritual. The subject cannot suffer new effects, or age naturally, or need to eat and sleep while protected by this spell. It has no effect on new or old crippling or permanent injuries - the subject may still die, too. The main drawback is the subject protected by the spell cannot regain FP, heal naturally, refill their mana reserve or even spend Character Points for the duration. (If the subject has used any game-time-restricted ability, this spell also suspends the "cooldown" between uses.)
This seems like a variation of the Temporal Stasis enhancement from GURPS Powers. I'd probably use that with the caveat that it stops what you've listed, but not the subject of the spell. Perhaps add Selective Effect on top of it. Anyway, it should be expensive to do something like this.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 02:43 PM   #595
X the Unknown

I'm trying to create a ritual that will cover an area 5 yards in radius, 4 yards high with webs. These webs will attempt to trap anyone or anything within the area when cast, and if trapped will force them to roll a contest of ST to break free. Also, anyone or anything entering the area will also have to go through this process.

Ok, I have two attempts at a ritual. Will they both work? The first scales very well (read: cheap) towards targets with normal STrength using the Golden Rule (T:RPM p. 24), but gets quite expensive using Bestows a Bonus for high STrength targets, going all exponential and... stuff. Version 2 uses Binding (Basic p. 40) and can be more expensive at normal levels, but expands linearly forever so is much friendlier at higher STrength targets. Version 1 costs more than version 2 from STrength 20 and higher.

I'm going to assume an Effective Skill of 15 for comparison sake. I know with a higher Effective Skill I would get a higher "Spell STrength" for the escape contest on the first version, but I need a constant for the comparison.

Trapping Webs - Version 0.1
Spell Effects: Greater Create Matter
Inherent Modifiers: Area of Effect
Greater Effects: 1 (x3)

This ritual creates an area 5 yards in radius that binds anyone or anything within it or entering it for the duration or until they can succeed in a contest of ST vs the Effective Skill of the ritual. Excludes caster and one other at time of casting.

Typical Casting: Greater Create Matter (6) + Area of Effect (Excludes caster and one other): 5 yards (5) + Duration: 10 minutes (1)
Cost: 34 energy

Trapping Webs - Version 2
Spell Effects: Greater Create Matter
Inherent Modifiers: Area of Effect, Binding
Greater Effects: 1 (x3)

This ritual creates an area 5 yards in radius that binds anyone or anything within it or entering it for the duration or until they can succeed in a contest of ST vs the Effective Skill of the ritual. Excludes caster and one other at time of casting.

Typical Casting: Greater Create Matter (6) + Binding: ST 15 (30) + Area of Effect (Excludes caster and one other: +1): 5 yards (5) + Duration: 10 minutes (1)
Cost: 121 energy

I know that Binding is essentially a Missile Spell and offers benefits above the first, but I'm just more interested in the binding aspect for now.

Ok, questions beyond whether the rituals will work as is.
  1. Do I need to use Persistent in order to get the binding effect to continue to grab items that enter the area?
  2. If I use Bestows a Penalty in the ritual to lower any target's STrength that fails to resist the ritual will it effect subsequent rolls against STrength to break free? I think it will.
  3. In the event that both rituals can work, what are people's feelings about allowing both: The first for STrengths lower than 20, the second for 20 and higher?
  4. Without changing these from webs to something that already exists in the environment like vines, could some version of this ritual be a Lesser Create Matter effect?

Thanks in advance!
X the Unknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 04:21 PM   #596
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by X the Unknown View Post
Do I need to use Persistent in order to get the binding effect to continue to grab items that enter the area?
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramid #3/43: Thaumatology III, p. 15
As an optional rule, the GMmight allow rituals with the area of effect modifier but not the damage modifier to receive the benefits listed under the Persistent enhancements (p. B107) for +8 extra energy or Persistent and Drifting (p. B105) for +12 extra energy.
Quote:
If I use Bestows a Penalty in the ritual to lower any target's STrength that fails to resist the ritual will it effect subsequent rolls against STrength to break free? I think it will.
Yes.

Quote:
In the event that both rituals can work, what are people's feelings about allowing both: The first for STrengths lower than 20, the second for 20 and higher?
You don't add Binding as a separate trait like you did for v2. The Binding's skill is your Path skill and then you can pump it up using Bestows a Bonus.

Quote:
Without changing these from webs to something that already exists in the environment like vines, could some version of this ritual be a Lesser Create Matter effect?
Living vines, roots, etc. require Path of Body, dead ones use Path of Matter. See below:

Capturing Roots
Spell Effects: Lesser Control Body.
Inherent Modifiers: Bestows a Bonus, +5 to Binding Rolls.
Greater Effects: 0 (x1)

Animates a cluster of roots to stretch out and grab anyone nearby. Treat this as an area of effect binding attack with the roots having an effective ST of Path of Matter + 5. If the roots are reaching out laterally (from a wall or fence), targets may use active defenses. If the attack comes up from the ground, limit active defenses to parries with feet or a dodge at -3. This spell has no effect on sapient plants.

Typical Casting: Lesser Control Body (5) + Bestows a Bonus, +5 to Binding Rolls (12) + Area of Effect, 5 yards, excludes 12 allies (10) + Range, 10 yards (4) + Duration, 10 minutes (1) + Subject Weight, 1,000 lbs. (4). 25 energy (36x1).

Become a Patron!
Old 02-29-2020, 09:10 PM   #597
X the Unknown

This is great. Thanks.

Quote:
You're killing me with this. I've managed to avoid buying any of these Pyramids and now I'm agonizing over buying this for the last 15 minutes. I know I'm going to end up buying this and then it'll be downhill after that. I hope you're happy. :-)

Quote:
As an optional rule, the GM might allow rituals with the area of effect modifier but not the damage modifier to receive the benefits listed under the Persistent enhancements (p. B107) for +8 extra energy or Persistent and Drifting (p. B105) for +12 extra energy.
Ok, so I haven't bought it yet, but this is a little odd to me. In T:RPM it says:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaumatology: Ritual Path Magic, p. 17
Duration is an exception; any sort of enduring damage should be represented with enhancements such as Cyclic or Persistent.
And in Basic:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basic, p. 107
You may only add this enhancement to an Area Effect (p.102) attack. This causes the area effect to stay in place for 10 seconds, continuing to damage... anyone entering or passing through it.
Thaumatology III and RPM/Basic seem to contradict each other.

It also says under Persistent:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basic, p. 107
Use Extended Duration to extend the duration.
So, does the duration purchased in the base ritual not included the Persistent duration and I need to purchase it with Extended Duration, enough to cover the ritual duration?

All that being said, and if I'm right, to expand upon your Capturing Roots ritual to get it to continue grabbing people that come within its area of effect, we would get this:

Capturing Roots
Inherent Modifiers: Bestows a Bonus, +5 to Binding Rolls, Persistent.

Animates a cluster of roots to stretch out and grab anyone nearby and continues to reach for people for the duration. Treat this as an area of effect binding attack with the roots having an effective ST of Path of Matter + 5. If the roots are reaching out laterally (from a wall or fence), targets may use active defenses. If the attack comes up from the ground, limit active defenses to parries with feet or a dodge at -3. This spell has no effect on sapient plants.

Typical Casting: Lesser Control Body (5) + Bestows a Bonus, +5 to Binding Rolls (16) + Area of Effect, 5 yards, excludes 12 allies (10) + Persistent (Extended Duration) (24) + Range, 10 yards (4) + Duration, 10 minutes (1) + Subject Weight, 1,000 lbs. (4)
Cost: 64 energy (64x1)

Right?

Last edited by X the Unknown; 02-29-2020 at 09:18 PM.
Old 03-01-2020, 02:07 AM   #598
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
You're killing me with this. I've managed to avoid buying any of these Pyramids and now I'm agonizing over buying this for the last 15 minutes. I know I'm going to end up buying this and then it'll be downhill after that. I hope you're happy. :-)
If you're hacking RPM at all that PDF is kind of necessary. A lot of the work for most RPM-based systems has been done to some degree. PK and I put a lot of work into it.

Quote:
In T:RPM it says:
Right, so that's damage. But even then you have two other options for damage. 1) If adding Duration to damage for any reason, say for creating a conjured weapon or similiar, you use the internal damage column not the external one; and 2) you can split the damage over a specific interval and then divide that damage to figure cost over time. See Rain of Fire for an example of this.

Quote:
And in Basic:
Quote:
Thaumatology III and RPM/Basic seem to contradict each other.
Yeah, I forgot we hashed this out in T:RPM. Basically, Duration = Extended Duration + Persistent for most Area Effects. Originally, the rule I quoted was for spells that damaged people in an area effect. The best method now is to use the above two methods when dealing with damaging folks in an area over time.

Quote:
It also says under Persistent:
You never use Extended Duration for modifying spells. So just ignore that entirely. Ditto on Persistent except on really rare cases.

Quote:
So, does the duration purchased in the base ritual not included the Persistent duration and I need to purchase it with Extended Duration, enough to cover the ritual duration?
No, it includes it. I was simply misremembering.

Quote:
All that being said, and if I'm right, to expand upon your Capturing Roots ritual to get it to continue grabbing people that come within its area of effect, we would get this:

Capturing Roots
Inherent Modifiers: Bestows a Bonus, +5 to Binding Rolls, Persistent.

Animates a cluster of roots to stretch out and grab anyone nearby and continues to reach for people for the duration. Treat this as an area of effect binding attack with the roots having an effective ST of Path of Matter + 5. If the roots are reaching out laterally (from a wall or fence), targets may use active defenses. If the attack comes up from the ground, limit active defenses to parries with feet or a dodge at -3. This spell has no effect on sapient plants.

Typical Casting: Lesser Control Body (5) + Bestows a Bonus, +5 to Binding Rolls (16) + Area of Effect, 5 yards, excludes 12 allies (10) + Persistent (Extended Duration) (24) + Range, 10 yards (4) + Duration, 10 minutes (1) + Subject Weight, 1,000 lbs. (4)
Cost: 64 energy (64x1)

Right?
Ditch Persistent. Again, that was a hack for making Damage + Area Effect + Duration play nice. We have better tools now.

Become a Patron!
Old 03-01-2020, 11:15 AM   #599
X the Unknown

Brilliant! Thanks for this. All of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
If you're hacking RPM at all that PDF is kind of necessary. A lot of the work for most RPM-based systems has been done to some degree. PK and I put a lot of work into it.
Yeah, I'm going to buy it. A while back, either you or PK had a post listing a great many resources for RPM, mostly from Pyramid. I can't seem to find it. Any chance you have a handy link or subject to that post? You've obviously suckered me in; let's find out how much.
Old 03-01-2020, 06:33 PM   #600
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Brilliant! Thanks for this. All of it.
No worries. I try to help where I can. You might be interested in my Patreon as well (see my sig) as I put all kinds of RPM stuff up there. Right now I have a Fire Elementalist RPM magic style and tips on playing in high point total games. On the 5th I'll be adding more force spells for RPM and tips for playing in urban fantasy campaigns. $2 bucks right now gets you the first two and $2 for March gets you the other two on the 5th. :-)

Quote:
Yeah, I'm going to buy it. A while back, either you or PK had a post listing a great many resources for RPM, mostly from Pyramid. I can't seem to find it. Any chance you have a handy link or subject to that post? You've obviously suckered me in; let's find out how much.
Yup. It's right here.

Become a Patron!

Tags
ghostly movement, magic, ritual path magic, rpm, thaumatology