Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-09-2015, 04:26 PM   #231
Refplace

Default Re: [RPM] Post your rituals here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I object to rapid multiple gate creation in anything but ideal or high-powered circumstances. Unless you use both greater control and greater create you only get one gate per spell (or perhaps two or four at once in an odd configuration). And in a lot of cases I think a lesser control magic is requisite as well.

Blinking is incredibly difficult to pull off. You are on the fly creating a gate that grabs you (and just you) and puts you in a new location. Its also incredibly powerful. If you doubt its power, look at the fight in God Slayers in the PbP forum.

The Ritual would look like this:

Blink
Spell Effects: Greater Create Crossroads, Greater Control Crossroads, Lesser Control Magic, Lesser Strengthen Chance
Inherent Modifiers: Range, Speed, Weight, Duration
Typical Casting: Greater Create Crossroads(6) + Greater Control Crossroads(5) + Lesser Control Magic(5) + Lesser Strengthen Chance(5) + range-2 yards(0) + speed-2 yards(0) + duration -10 min (1) + subject weight-300lb (3) = 125 =25*5

Yeah, its a lot of energy. Its a very potent spell. If I'm doing this wrong please let me know (forum in general and in particular the RPM guru)
Oh I understand its power :)
Never played a RPM mage before and looking forward to the opportunity.
I will keep that spell in mind and keep noodling.

I do have another question. Making that Ritual a Charm requires Lesser Control Magic but it goes on about how that is a wrapper and does not really change the spell for definitions.
Does it mean that all Conditional spells use the lower of Magic or their other Paths?
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries

Last edited by Refplace; 01-09-2015 at 05:27 PM.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 05:07 PM   #232
oneofmanynameless

Contingent Self-Resurrection
Spell Effects: (Lesser Control Magic + Lesser Sense Body, Greater Restore Body, Greater Create Spirit)
Inherent Modifiers: Subject Weight, Healing,
Greater Effects: 2 (x5)

This spell, which must be cast as a conditional ritual, triggers when the casters body dies. It instantly restores the caster's body to life and stabilizing it's injuries while simultaneously conjuring the caster's spirit back into it, effectively restoring the caster to life.

Typical Casting: Lesser Control Magic (5) + Lesser Sense Body (2) + Greater Restore Body (4) + Greater Create Spirit (5) + Subject Weight, 300 lbs (3) + Healing, 3d+2 (10) = 29x5 = 145 energy.

Notes: I used Greater Create Spirit because the path of spirit covers the disembodied spirits of living creatures, such as astral projectors. Thus creating such a spirit, but with no altered traits or duration, implies that the spirit is attached to the body and will instantly stop being disembodied. I can see requiring a greater transform mind and a greater transform spirit in order to perform that transformation of the spirit back into the body, if the GM rules that Greater Create Spirit would just create a spirit for a moment that would then dissipate, rather then go back into it's body.

Furthermore, this spell could easily get substantially more complicated very quickly, depending on the metaphysics of the world. For instance, if souls immediately pass over the veil into the afterlife, from which they cannot return except as ghosts AND the GM has ruled that all conditional rituals automatically fail once their original caster dies, then you have a lot more problems on both fronts of the spell:

First, most of the effects of the spell have to trigger after the person dies. If the spell fails from the caster dying then it's innately useless. Second, if the caster's spirit cannot simply be conjured as long as the body is alive, then you have to use a Greater Create Undead effect to get it back from across the veil (or prevent it from going over in the first place! see below.) But ghosts don't just snap back into their bodies the moment they stop being ghosts so you'll also have to transform the ghost into a spirit using Greater Transform Undead and Greater Transform Spirit once the body has been reformed. Even then, the GM can still rule that the caster must re-integrate the spirit into the body properly, that it wont just snap in, requiring a Transform Mind and a Transform Spirit. You could possibly just go straight from ghost to mind with Greater Transform Undead + Greater Transform Mind, but the GM could easily justify making the person have some serious problems as the result of that.

The following spell is the most complicated version and takes all of that into account. Consider it a "worst case scenario" way of constructing a spell.

Contingent Self-Resurrection
Spell Effects: (Lesser Control Magic, Greater Sense Chance, Lesser Create Spirit, Greater Transform Spirit, Greater Transform Undead, Greater Control Magic) + (Lesser Control Magic, Greater Restore Body, Greater Transform Undead, Greater Transform Spirit, Greater Transform Mind.)
Inherent Modifiers: Altered Traits, Subject Weight, Healing, Duration.
Greater Effects: 8 (x17)

This spell must be cast as a conditional ritual. It triggers in the instant before the caster will truly die (using a divination to determine when that's about to happen.) It consists of two parts. The first part happens immediately and the second part happens just before the end of the duration.
First Part: It pulls the caster's spirit out of it's body (using lesser create spirit) and transforms it into a ghost, severing it's ties with the life-force of the body but keeping it bound to this plane of existence, while simultaneously transferring the rest of this spells existence from relying on the survival of the body to relying on the survival of the ghost.
Second Part: When the duration that the caster pays for is about to end the spell immediately restores the casters body (even from non-existence if necessary!) and stabilizes it's wounds, before transforming the caster back into a living spirit reliant on the life-force of the body and then, as the spell ends, back into the body as it's mind, affecting a successful Resurrection.

Typical Casting: Lesser Control Magic (5) {condition}+ Greater Sense Chance (2) {divination for condition} + Lesser Create Spirit (5) {astral projection} + Greater Transform Spirit (8) + Greater Transform Undead (8) {creates the ghost} + Greater Control Magic (5) {transfers the ritual to the ghost} + Lesser Control Magic (5) {second condition} + Greater Restore Body (4) {rebuilds the body} + Greater Transform Undead (8) + Greater Transform Spirit (8) + Greater Transform Mind (8) {turn the ghost into a spirit then re-integrates it} + Altered Traits: Ghost Template, 200 pts (200) + Subject Weight (3) + Healing, 3d+2 (10) + Duration, 10 minutes (1) = 280x17 = 4,760 energy.

Note: I used the Ghost racial template from Pyramid 3/45 p.5.
oneofmanynameless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 06:59 PM   #233
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Does it mean that all Conditional spells use the lower of Magic or their other Paths?
Yes. That's the price of conditional spells - you need to be skilled with the Paths for the spell and Path of Magic.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 08:29 PM   #234
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
Yes. That's the price of conditional spells - you need to be skilled with the Paths for the spell and Path of Magic.
Ah well. RPM still scary powerful.
Just built a spell list of all the likely spells he may use from RPM and two Pyramids plus some custom and forum builds.
Lots of offensive options, just looking for a good defense with Crossroads (best path) or maybe Chance.
I also want a good RPM way to do the Ghostly Movement power from GURPS Horror. Classic "Man of Mystery" power :)

Meantime I just built this little gem based off Travel By Wire.
Travel by Ley Line
Spell Effects: Greater Transform Body, Greater Transform Magic
Inherent Modifiers: Duration, Range, Speed, Weight
Greater Effects: 2 (*5)
This spell transforms the subject into magical energy which can travel quickly along Ley lines and turn back to normal as soon as he steps out.
Magical Wards or powers may cause difficulty in this state and someone tapping your line may sense your passage.
Typical Casting: Greater Transform Body (8) + Greater Transform Magic (8) + Duration, 10 minutes (1) + Speed, 1 mile/sec (18) + Subject Weight, 300 lbs. (3) 190 energy (38*5)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 01-09-2015, 09:49 PM   #235
Refplace

So, inspired by a Srper villain and a couple of variations from Ghostdancer I came up with this build.
Shield of the Void
Spell Effects: Greater Create Crossroads*2, Greater Control Crossroads, Lesser Strengthen Chance
Inherent Modifiers: None
The caster creates two large shields. Attacks blocked with one come out of the other one. Normally one shield is left passive and the other used to Block at (Crossroads/2)+3. While it is possible to point the second shield at an attacker to reflect ranged attacks they are typically Wild shots just going in that direction. Only 1 shield can be moved at a time, the other maintains its relative position to the caster. Casters with CM or ATR could control both effectively at the same time.
Typical Casting: Greater Create Crossroads*2 (12) + Greater Control Crossroads (5) + Lesser Strengthen Chance(5) + range-2 yards(0) + speed-2 yards(0) + duration -10 min (1) + subject weight-300lb (3) = 130 (26*5)
Cast as a Charm its 145 energy
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 01-10-2015, 04:15 PM   #236
the_matrix_walker

Hidden Arsenal - Current Version, re-posted for convenience.
Quote:
This spell (Assuming a Path of Crossroads 16) would grant a 100lb. (102.4 lb.) Payload, that could hold the subjects weapons and personal gear (that are present at the time of the casting), any of which can be instantly ready to hand on a DX-1 roll (Or DX with Combat Reflexes), On a failed roll, the item must be readied normally. While stored, the items impose no encumbrance, and cannot be detected without Crossroads magic.

Lesser Create Crossroads for a (literal) Pocket Dimension. +6
Altered Traits (Payload 16 (BL Based on Path of Crossroads; Cosmic, Extra Dimensional +50%, Reliable Holster, +10%; Only for Signature Gear, -80%)[13]), +13
Lesser Control Crossroads to limit it to Subject's use only and make Fast-Draw default-able. +5
Lesser Control Magic to keep items from scattering to the four winds if the effect is dispelled. +5
Bestows a Bonus (+2 to Lift ST; this Payload only) +2
Bestows a Bonus (+0 to Fast-Draw; this Payload only) +0
Bestows a Bonus (+3 to Fast-Draw; this Payload only) +4
Duration 1 month +11

6+13+5+5+2+4+11 = 46
I was thinking of ways to make this even cooler... Like have his armor appear on him as needed as well...

Would adding a Lesser Control Matter let it dress him in his armor from the pocket dimension?

Would an added effect be needed because that takes quite a bit of time to do manually?

Would we then need something for a trigger condition to pop it in or out, or do we just say it pops on whenever a weapon is drawn?
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 06:54 PM   #237
Antumbra

You could use a Greater Transform Matter on the armour, making it appear like your ordinary clothing until your trigger. It might retain some DR as well. That would have the benefit that you don't have to worry about the (nonmechanical) problem of the clothes you're wearing already.
Antumbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 07:11 PM   #238
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antumbra View Post
You could use a Greater Transform Matter on the armour, making it appear like your ordinary clothing until your trigger. It might retain some DR as well. That would have the benefit that you don't have to worry about the (nonmechanical) problem of the clothes you're wearing already.
It will be allot easier to handle if I can keep greater effects out of the picture... we've gotten this far without them...

It could be unavoidable, the armor does normally take 15 seconds to don... But it is a no brainier that a Greater Effect would do it.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 01:53 AM   #239
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
Hidden Arsenal - Current Version, re-posted for convenience.

I was thinking of ways to make this even cooler... Like have his armor appear on him as needed as well...

Would adding a Lesser Control Matter let it dress him in his armor from the pocket dimension?

Would an added effect be needed because that takes quite a bit of time to do manually?

Would we then need something for a trigger condition to pop it in or out, or do we just say it pops on whenever a weapon is drawn?
I thought this has come up beore but cant find it at the moment.
Someone was trying to build a character out of Fairy Tale who does this.
Also the heroine in Violet? does something similar though with weapons. So its seen enough to be worth doing.
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 01-11-2015, 04:21 AM   #240
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Meantime I just built this little gem based off Travel By Wire.
Travel by Ley Line
Spell Effects: Greater Transform Body, Greater Transform Magic
Inherent Modifiers: Duration, Range, Speed, Weight
This spell transforms the subject into magical energy which can travel quickly along Ley lines and turn back to normal as soon as he steps out.
Magical Wards or powers may cause difficulty in this state and someone tapping your line may sense your passage.
Typical Casting: Greater Transform Body (8) + Greater Transform Magic (8) + Duration, 10 minutes (1) + Speed, 1 mile/sec (18) + Subject Weight, 300 lbs. (3) 190 energy (38*5)
Looks fine.

Quote:
.I also want a good RPM way to do the Ghostly Movement power from GURPS Horror. Classic "Man of Mystery" power :)
Hmm. I'd call this a Lesser Control Crossroads effect to "twist" space and allow the subject to immediately Move up to his Basic Move in yards away as long as he takes no other action. If he moved out of line of sight I'd give him a Stealth roll to hide.

Quote:
So, inspired by a Srper villain and a couple of variations from Ghostdancer I came up with this build.
Shield of the Void
Spell Effects: Greater Create Crossroads*2, Greater Control Crossroads, Lesser Strengthen Chance
Inherent Modifiers: None
The caster creates two large shields. Attacks blocked with one come out of the other one. Normally one shield is left passive and the other used to Block at (Crossroads/2)+3. While it is possible to point the second shield at an attacker to reflect ranged attacks they are typically Wild shots just going in that direction. Only 1 shield can be moved at a time, the other maintains its relative position to the caster. Casters with CM or ATR could control both effectively at the same time.
Typical Casting: Greater Create Crossroads*2 (12) + Greater Control Crossroads (5) + Lesser Strengthen Chance(5) + range-2 yards(0) + speed-2 yards(0) + duration -10 min (1) + subject weight-300lb (3) = 130 (26*5)
Cast as a Charm its 145 energy
Pretty sure this would need only a Lesser Effect and act as a Blocking spell, unless you want to reuse it continuously...then I guess a Greater effect would be needed and you'd have to make a Path/2 +3 roll for Active Defense to interpose it between you and the incoming attack.

Quote:
That IS cool.

Quote:
Hmmm. Yeah, I guess a Lesser Control Matter effect would work. If it proves too powerful though in game I'd call it a Greater effect. I'm on the fence. Probably Lesser though.

Quote:
No. The Lesser Control Matter effect is already providing you a "squire" to help you done the armor "instantly."

Quote:
Yeah, you could do that. Remember, you can only have one such spell active at a time.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ghostly movement, magic, ritual path magic, rpm, thaumatology