Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-31-2016, 06:18 PM   #11
Humabout

Default Re: Pyramid #3/89: Alternate Dungeons II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
Because it's ICSWTNGFIMC,BITC.:-)
I wasn't saying that it won't be fitting for DF, just that DF already has plenty of established Eastern stuff in it. But I'm not going to comment more until I get to your article; I'm still wrapping up Krom's. And he has brought a tear to my eye by making sharkbears a reality.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 06:20 PM   #12
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humabout View Post
I wasn't saying that it won't be fitting for DF, just that DF already has plenty of established Eastern stuff in it. But I'm not going to comment more until I get to your article; I'm still wrapping up Krom's. And he has brought a tear to my eye by making sharkbears a reality.
I used to have some of those in plastic toys!
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 06:21 PM   #13
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ternas View Post
And for that I'm very grateful. I love the touches you've given them and the divine curse does seem quite interesting. Unfortunately in the campaign I'm a part of, it wouldn't come up too much in play just rendering it free points for the most part. I do like how you give them the ability to pick up Druid or Clerical powers considering the large amount of racial templates from just DF3 that can easily pick up Wizardly magic and it wasn't until I actually read the Tengu that I realized how unbalanced/unfair that had been.
:-) I'm glad you noticed. Most of the myths I've read about them indicate more divine or nature-based powers vs. actual magic. I also through a bit of Native American lore in there from the Navajo - 'cause it fit and I liked how it worked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ternas View Post
Ultimately, I'm probably going to continue using my Converted Kenku template, if only because it's an NPC race in the setting anyhow. But at least now I have some sort of idea what it would cost for getting that 1.5x vulnerability to crushing damage so I can finally get change that to something reasonable.
Well, the Game Police won't come over and stop you. :-) Rock on, my fellow gamer, rock on.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 09:39 PM   #14
lhelf

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
No, just a Monster Hunters template. That said, Ghostdancer/Christopher Rice has a Patreon and Compulsive Writing (6) . . . :)
What's his Will? And how much energy do I need to accumulate in order to cast a RPM/Ceremonial spell "Write, and publish, a DF character template that incorporates Chinese Elemental Powers." Apparently, my Mind Control power doesn't have the range. :)
lhelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 09:53 PM   #15
Pseudonym

A bunch of friends were getting a kinda Demon's Souls /Dark Souls vibe from the Heaven and Hell article. It just might work if you change the big plot twist slightly. Interesting food for thought, and probably has a chance to have some good synergy with any survival rules introduced in After The End.

Enjoyed the racial templates for the Eastern setting, and the giant's house dungeon story. I've taken to writing up some "five room dungeons" on my blog recently, so seeing a short dungeon like that written by a different author with a different viewpoint and priorities is a good opportunity for me to see what I am doing right, and ways that I can do it better.

Random thoughts table was pretty interesting too. It's something that is always in the back of my mind when playing a sillier campaign is "how can these people just go do what unspeakable thing they did, and just come back, and for better or for worse, have no appreciable social consequences?"
Old 03-31-2016, 11:35 PM   #16
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhelf View Post
What's his Will? And how much energy do I need to accumulate in order to cast a RPM/Ceremonial spell "Write, and publish, a DF character template that incorporates Chinese Elemental Powers." Apparently, my Mind Control power doesn't have the range. :)
At least a 13, probably 14. Also Stubbornness. :-D

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:25 AM   #17
Steven Marsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudonym View Post
Random thoughts table was pretty interesting too. It's something that is always in the back of my mind when playing a sillier campaign is "how can these people just go do what unspeakable thing they did, and just come back, and for better or for worse, have no appreciable social consequences?"
Thanks for the kind words! I was happy with my contribution this month; it was one of those ideas where -- once I thought of it -- I was like, "Has no one done this before?!" The closest I could think of was Robin Hood, but it's not quite the same thing. (Of course, it's entirely possible that someone else has had this idea, and I just haven't come across it elsewhere yet . . .)
Steven Marsh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 12:21 PM   #18
GodBeastX

I find it spooky that I just came up with a setting just like the Hell and Heaven from this article for a completely different Genre XD
Old 04-01-2016, 01:21 PM   #19
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodBeastX View Post
I find it spooky that I just came up with a setting just like the Hell and Heaven from this article for a completely different Genre XD
There are precedents: it reminds me strongly of the setup in Philip Jose Farmer's To Your Scattered Bodies Go, and less strongly of Mick Farren's The Quest of the DNA Cowboys.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 02:53 PM   #20
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post

it reminds me strongly of the setup in Philip Jose Farmer's To Your Scattered Bodies Go
Riffing on that, if you want to allow PCs from other universes, then waking up here after dying elsewhere could work. This isn't even a huge stretch, as the setting doesn't say, "There are no other universes." The actual prohibitions are that "other planes of existence [are] beyond the reach of [...] magic" – magic cannot "interact with other dimensions," "reach across time or other dimensions," or "tamper with [...] other dimensions." Monsters are "local to this Creation and not horrors to be summoned or banished," and "Nothing, however weird, is summoned or banished." Technology (or magic) in other universes could send things here, and creatures native to other realms might be able to visit without being summoned.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy, pyramid 3/89