Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Warehouse 23 > Warehouse 23 Digital

Old 05-05-2011, 04:48 PM   #21
Ronnke

Default Re: The HORROR!

I've skimmed through this long awaited book, and I'm really loving it. Nice work guys.

I usually also buy the dead tree hardcovers, but won't on this one if its going to be a B&W release. I'm disappointed that its not full colour, this book really deserved to be illustrated in "blood red and zombie green". I've been a strong advocate of full colour books even at a higher price point, so I'm voting with my dollars. Please SJG release the hardcover in full colour.
Ronnke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 04:49 PM   #22
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
I'm still only halfway through my first skim-through, but I've gotta agree that the art in this book is top-notch - some of the best stuff I've seen, and it works well in black-and-white.

I'm really liking the monster write-ups - they're ridiculously detailed with tons of options. I'd have liked a more D&D-style 'monster manual' write up, but I think I'm going to get that with MH3 (which hopefully will be coming out soonish) and DFM1 (which, again, will hopefully be coming out soonish), so I'm not fretting too much. Besides, these write-ups are a lot more generic, which makes them very useful for customizing the write-ups that we'll eventually get with DFM1 and MH3, I think.
Agreed on the art. Really great.

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 05:29 PM   #23
Steven Marsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnke View Post
I've been a strong advocate of full colour books even at a higher price point, so I'm voting with my dollars.
While I understand and support the sentiment, I also note that voting with dollars is a fairly blunt instrument. If there's no functional difference between the "dollar votes" of "I want this as a color hardcover" and "I don't ever want SJ Games to do another hardcover," it can be hard to make sure the correct message is received and acted on.
Steven Marsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 05:50 PM   #24
Paulon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Marsh View Post
While I understand and support the sentiment, I also note that voting with dollars is a fairly blunt instrument. If there's no functional difference between the "dollar votes" of "I want this as a color hardcover" and "I don't ever want SJ Games to do another hardcover," it can be hard to make sure the correct message is received and acted on.
That's why you also have to contact the company in question to tell them exactly why you're not giving them your money. Not that I expect that to be necessary for me with Steve Jackson Games in the foreseeable future.

Last edited by Paulon; 05-05-2011 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Typo.
Paulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:16 PM   #25
Prime Evil

I don't know...I think that black & white artwork is perfect for the horror genre. It might not work for every GURPS release, but it accentuates the mood of the book nicely in this case.
Prime Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:29 PM   #26
Ronnke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Marsh View Post
Ok, I should clarify this a bit.

I will not buy a B&W hardcover that I already have as a PDF. I can't justify buying a book twice in this case. Now, colour hardcovers are beautiful books (at least those produced by SJG thus far) and I will happily part with my dollars twice to own the PDF and printed versions.

If you received a discount for buying both PDF and printed version of the book, or if the book was only available in printed version, then my view would be different.

Hope that makes my message clearer.

Last edited by Ronnke; 05-05-2011 at 08:06 PM.
Ronnke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 07:13 PM   #27
adm

I prefer a lower price point, and black and white illustrations. On the other hand I own every 4E Hardback, so obviously it is not a deal breaker.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:03 PM   #28
b-dog

Would this book be useful for the DF series? Or are the monsters underpowered for 250 cp dungeon delvers? I tend to throw in tons of horror into my DF games so I am really curious about this book as there does not seem to be any plans for DF Horror book. Thanks.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:09 PM   #29
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog View Post
Would this book be useful for the DF series? Or are the monsters underpowered for 250 cp dungeon delvers? I tend to throw in tons of horror into my DF games so I am really curious about this book as there does not seem to be any plans for DF Horror book. Thanks.
I would say yes. There are many monsters who are potent enough to be a real challenge for delvers (and some who are too potent!), and if nothing else, the GM advice on tailoring the horror experience for your game is literally useful for every genre.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:43 PM   #30
Langy

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog View Post
Hah! No. They're in no way underpowered for 250cp delvers. The majority of them seem to be worth significantly more than 250 points, and a number of them are way more than 250 points. Point costs aren't really a great indicator of balance, of course, but I can't see how these monsters are going to be much less powerful than any other DF monster.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
horror