Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-10-2016, 01:39 AM   #41
NorphTehDwarf

Default Re: GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Swashbucklers

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
Easily remedied. Per GURPS Low-Tech p. 57, a weapon's sheath or scabbard makes up 1/5 of its cost. That's for a basic one. And per p. 14, good quality (which here could mean +1 to Fast-Draw) costs +4 CF, while fine quality (+2 to Fast-Draw) costs +19 CF. So that gives these costs for new scabbards; you could presumably sell your old sheath to help cover a teeny part of the cost:

Fast-Draw Scabbard: +1 to Fast-Draw for the specific weapon it holds. Weapon weight is unchanged. Cost equals the full price of the weapon it holds (base price, before any CFs).

Fast-Draw Scabbard, Fine: As above, but +2 to Fast-Draw, and cost equals four times weapon price.
I like the idea, but for some reason I want a separately-bought piece of gear with a fixed price. Don't ask for reasoning, I don't have any. I took the prices of all the blades listed in DFD:S and averaged them to get a value of $487.78. I rounded up to $480, then again to $500 to match the TL7 Fast-Draw Rig in High-Tech (p. 154). Weight becomes neg. since we can assume it replaces the normal scabbard/sheathe and probably weighs about the same.

This gives us a Fast-Draw sheathe that costs $500 and gives +1 to fast-draw (weapon skill).

The fine variant would then cost $2000 and give a +2 bonus.

I like the fixed value better because it means that the player won't bother buying a fancy fast-draw thingy for a crappy little knife; it'd be a waste of money.

e: this post was not worth a new page; my bad.
NorphTehDwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 08:29 AM   #42
Greg 1

Well this is another must-buy! :-)

Who doesn't love playing a swashbuckler?
Greg 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 08:38 AM   #43
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorphTehDwarf View Post

I like the fixed value better because it means that the player won't bother buying a fancy fast-draw thingy for a crappy little knife; it'd be a waste of money.
The times when you really need a weapon fast are likely to be the times when your enemy is so close that a knife really is the best thing. If you have(or can back up quick enough to get yourself) enough measure to use a sword you have enough to draw it.

Last edited by jason taylor; 11-13-2016 at 08:43 AM.
jason taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 10:13 AM   #44
dripton

I think the best solution for "I never want to miss a Fast-Draw" is the No Nuisance Rolls perk, rather than equipment. Because no matter how high your skill is, if you're rolling at all, an 18 is a critical failure.

(I don't think I'd actually take it for a Swashbuckler, because they're not fast-drawing *that* often, so there's probably a better use for the point and/or the perk slot. The Scout that's Fast-Drawing an arrow every turn is the one who really needs it, as much to speed play as to avoid rare failures.)
dripton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 11:18 AM   #45
Pseudonym

My review here. I find myself overall "content" with it.
Old 11-17-2016, 07:32 AM   #46
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by dripton View Post
I think the best solution for "I never want to miss a Fast-Draw" is the No Nuisance Rolls perk, rather than equipment. Because no matter how high your skill is, if you're rolling at all, an 18 is a critical failure.
The point of equipment that gives a bonus to Fast-Draw checks is presumably so that even when the situation imposes a -2 or higher penalty to the Fast-Draw skill of the swashbuckler, effective skill remains at 16+. Even if you have the perk No Nuisance Rolls, you still need effective skill 16+ to use it, so equipment that gives +1 or +2 is still useful to you.

Shock penalties, posture and position penalties are all common factors which can reduce even Fast-Draw 17-20 below 16 on occasion. So a wealthy delver would do well to have a Fine Fast-Draw scabbard for a +2.
Old 11-17-2016, 01:29 PM   #47
corwyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
The times when you really need a weapon fast are likely to be the times when your enemy is so close that a knife really is the best thing. If you have(or can back up quick enough to get yourself) enough measure to use a sword you have enough to draw it.
Not really true IME. Even if you are attacked in close, unless you are grappled, you can always back out, fast-draw, and attack. You might want to move to cover and still have a ready weapon, move and attack, move to the enemy and not be at his mercy by not being able to parry.

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 05:36 PM   #48
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by corwyn View Post
Not really true IME. Even if you are attacked in close, unless you are grappled, you can always back out, fast-draw, and attack. You might want to move to cover and still have a ready weapon, move and attack, move to the enemy and not be at his mercy by not being able to parry.
But if you have the ability to increase measure you have no need for fast-draw.
Old 11-17-2016, 06:07 PM   #49
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
But if you have the ability to increase measure you have no need for fast-draw.
Insofar as you don't consider getting an extra attack in to be something you need.
Old 11-17-2016, 06:21 PM   #50
corwyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Insofar as you don't consider getting an extra attack in to be something you need.
Exactly. I don't understand the thought process behind Jason's comment at all. One more turn not readying a weapon is always better than not. Especially for dedicated combatants (13+ DX and Combat Reflexes) for whom a point will most likely give at least a 90% chance for an extra turn in combat. That could also be more than one attack.

Many of our fights are over in 3 or 4 turns. That extra turn could prevent at least one attack coming in.

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy, fantasy