Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 04-08-2015, 08:48 AM   #1
UncleBob

Default The Dread Gazebo and other things I don't know.

So, I don't play D&D or other Pencil & Paper RPGs. Just something I've never managed to get into.

Yet, Fantasy Munchkin is full of jokes that tie into various fantasy tropes - many of which I get, but many of which I don't.

An off-hand comment about a Gazebo on the Facebook page for my FL-ishGS forced me to Google "D&D Gazebo". I've seen the Munchkin card and never put much thought into it... but this comment seemed out of no where, so I knew there had to be more to it. Reading up on Eric's adventure was amazingly funny and something I could totally see happening. I'm glad I got to share in that story - and now the Munchkin Obsession with the Dread Gazebo makes all of the sense.

So - a thought occurs to me. There are something like seven million different Munchkin cards floating around out there. I know your plate is full, but it'd be awesome to see a "Card of the Week" type thing where you take a card from any set and do a short write-up on what that card is. Now, now, I know that having to explain the joke ruins the joke for many people - but with 13 different themed games across a myriad of genres, there's sure to be some jokes that everyone doesn't get.

It might be kind of neat if you were to do this as a contest-like thing. Let folks submit their own articles about individual cards, then, each week, you can comb through and pick a winner to post - then you could ship that winner a small prize pack (couple of promos, maybe a Munchkin blank with a special rule for that winner, whatever). I don't know if this would be more or less work than actually doing a small write-up each week yourself, but it could be pretty entertaining either way.

Just a thought.
UncleBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:57 AM   #2
DS-00-0, FSD

Default Re: The Dread Gazebo and other things I don't know.

I know the feeling. I had to ask about the meaning behind "The Luggage" as I've never read the books from which it came.

I was actually just wondering last night if the new "Pub Knight" promo was actually designed for distribution at Munchkin Pub 2015 but when plans for this year changed, they decided to release it thru W23.
DS-00-0, FSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 11:44 PM   #3
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Sorry, that's just not something we can fit into our schedules.

That said, if people wanted to turn this thread right here into an "explain this card I don't get" thread, I wouldn't be opposed, and I might occasionally jump in where Steve or I have been a little TOO obscure.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 04:03 PM   #4
AlanS78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
Sorry, that's just not something we can fit into our schedules.

That said, if people wanted to turn this thread right here into an "explain this card I don't get" thread, I wouldn't be opposed, and I might occasionally jump in where Steve or I have been a little TOO obscure.
Hairy Potter.
AlanS78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 04:58 PM   #5
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanS78 View Post
Hairy Potter.
You make me want to ask if you are trolling or if you were in a decades long coma.
MiB #1029

Last edited by MunchkinMan; 04-13-2015 at 09:38 PM.
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 07:51 PM   #6
AlanS78

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
You make me want to ask if you are trolling or if you were you in a decades long coma.
No, I get the first part, but not the part that says "work it out for yourself." I'm sure I'll do the "face palm" when it's pointed out.
AlanS78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 09:38 PM   #7
MunchkinMan

Hairy Potter is particularly good at fighting Wizards, but not so much against Elves. That's pretty much right out of Rowling's works with respect to her character of a similar name, without actually saying the character's name. I.e., you'd have to work that out for yourself why Hairy Potter would be good at fighting Wizards and not so good at fighting Elves, because, well, neither Steve or Andrew could outright say it on the card without having to have had many conversations with lawyers before or after the card was released to the public.

Also, I've also always considered it a possible play on words with respect to what a potter does: Working clay. But, I could be getting ahead of myself, since those two guys and John Kovalic are so clever, I sometimes think there are more jokes in the cards than they intended.
MiB #1029

Last edited by MunchkinMan; 04-14-2015 at 07:48 AM.
Old 04-13-2015, 10:30 PM   #8
UncleBob

I think this is my new favorite topic.
UncleBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 05:59 PM   #9
eedee

If we're explaining cards here, then what about "Boil an anthill"
Is that a reference or just something random.
eedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 06:15 PM   #10
MunchkinMan

The joke is that a munchkin is so desperate that he will do something as useless as pouring boiling water on an anthill to try to get more XP and level up faster. If you boiled an anthill (by pouring boiling water down it), you would kill millions of ants, leveling up like crazy. Since the most important thing to a munchkin is how buff and powerful his character is, this is an ideal shortcut to glory.
MiB #1029

Last edited by Andrew Hackard; 04-14-2015 at 09:15 PM.